The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Guest 928

For what it's worth, I think the Parlor is an incredible guitar. Nice size, great tonal and projection qualities. Rainsong has pumped up the volume is doing a number of really nice guitars.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 AM

Thank you all for your comments, does anyone prefer rainsong to Emerald or the other way around, or are they all in the same ballpark?

Be & Remember ☮
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
Thank you all for your comments, does anyone prefer rainsong to Emerald or the other way around, or are they all in the same ballpark?
Ah Oh....now you opened a can of worms. LOL Actually I think you'll find a lot of us own both. They are different animals and both top notch instruments. I prefer the Emerald X20, but that means nothing. You'll get the usual response of....you have to play them both and decide for yourself. But I do recommend trying to find an Emerald to play before buying.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They are as different as any two wood guitar makers would be. My first carbon fiber guitar was a RainSong Shorty (similar to the CH-OM), and I enjoyed the tone from the first strum. RainSong makes a variety of models, and each has their own tone and feel.

That said, I prefer the sound and comfort of my Emerald X7 and X20 over the Shorty. To my ears, the Shorty has a very crisp tone that many describe as "piano-like." The X7 is smaller, but sounds warmer and more balanced. The X20 is in another league - bigger, richer, more projection; it is my favorite guitar (carbon fiber or wood). The Emeralds are also more comfortable (again, to me) to hold/play.

So, no, they are not in the same ballpark. Sound, tone, and comfort are all from personal perspective - I would imagine some folks will have a different experience with the two brands.

It's not easy to find these guitars out in the wild to do a comparison. Buying my first Emerald (the X7) was a leap of faith based on many of the reviews I read on-line. I expected I'd like the guitar - but when it arrived, I was surprised by how much I liked it! The sound was even better than I expected, but the comfort felt like this guitar was made to fit me. Easily the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have ever played. The X20 is bigger than the X7, still very comfortable due to the design, delightful rich/full tone.

Although from the same maker, as different as a GSmini is to an 814 in the Taylor line. I've played other models in the RainSong line, and they differ as well. It would be great if we could all agree on one line/model being "the one." Nah, that would eliminate the fun in "the search."

Good luck with yours.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
It would be great if we could all agree on one line/model being "the one." Nah, that would eliminate the fun in "the search."
Without the healthy competition and variation in design, we'd all be stuck with one version, and then we wouldn't have this amazing variety to choose from! It's like saying I wish we could decide forever whether we should have Les Pauls or Strats, Martin 000s or Gibson Dreads, wood guitars or CF. There's room for all styles, and the weird ones in between. The key is to find the one that works best for you.

Cheers!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Without the healthy competition and variation in design, we'd all be stuck with one version, and then we wouldn't have this amazing variety to choose from! It's like saying I wish we could decide forever whether we should have Les Pauls or Strats, Martin 000s or Gibson Dreads, wood guitars or CF. There's room for all styles, and the weird ones in between. The key is to find the one that works best for you.

Cheers!
I agree completely - the "it would be great if we could all agree..." line was tongue-in-cheek. With the great variety of nice guitars, wood and carbon fiber, it can make for a certain degree of angst when making a buying decision. Especially with CF, where any given model/make isn't always available for a try-out at the local guitar shop.

I find I pepper my responses with a lot of "for me" and "hope you find what works best for you". Add to that, the quest can be a moving target... before I tried a carbon fiber guitar, I didn't realize how much I would enjoy the tone. Until I got the X7, I didn't realize what a big difference (to me ) the ergonomics add to the playing experience.

I feel for folks who can see the advantages of carbon fiber, but haven't had the opportunity to try one... you have to give some consideration to all the opinions of those who have experience... but, still...
Old 02-21-2018, 07:30 AM

Hi there

I live in Switzerland (Zurich) and, you're right, I've not seen any CF guitars on sale in shops. That said, there is Brunner Guitars that used to manufacture CF travel guitars. Not sure they still do.

Anyway, I digress, I own a RainSong OM1000N2 and am very fond of it. It is the non-hybrid version and so is brighter as others have mentioned. I originally thought I liked darker, woodier tones but actually have grown to prefer the sound of the Rainsong. I also own the Journey OF660 CF travel guitar, which, to my ear, is darker in tone and this is the basis of my comparison. I play with a plectrum mostly and I think that adds even more brightness than finger picking.

The Rainsong does have a C-shaped neck and I have noted some dislikes from others on this Forum. For me, it was a case of getting used to it. The action is also quite high out of the box - again something I have got used to.

I bought the Rainsong on ebay and it all went smoothly so I can recommend going this route. I used to own a Seagull Mahogany SWS guitar and the bridge developed a crack I guess because of the dry winters we get here. I have no such worries any more!

Cheers.
Journey Overhead OF660
Dusenberg Paloma
Relish Bloody Mary

Last edited by Minstermarce; 02-21-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 PM

I remember those Brunners... had a couple Seagulls over the years... nice guitars
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-23-2018, 03:52 PM

Default Brunner

I own one of their travel guitars...really responsive and remarkable build. I love it.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 PM

Hi Todd123,
Is your Brunner guitar all wood or does it have the carbon fiber body? I have been looking at that brand for a long time but have not had the good fortune to be able to try one out.
Barb
Old 02-23-2018, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi Todd123,
Is your Brunner guitar all wood or does it have the carbon fiber body? I have been looking at that brand for a long time but have not had the good fortune to be able to try one out.
Barb
Hi Barb

I have owned 2 in the past, different body sizes, interchangeable necks and all the bells and whistles. When i get to a computer, i will share more about my thoughts including a link to a video of mine on youtube.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 PM

Thanks, Pandaroo. I will check back.
Barb
Old 02-23-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=501227

Not a preference, but a comparison.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:26 PM

I have a Rainsong Jumbo CO-1100 N1
It has a warm tone and nice big bottom end.
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 02-24-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Hi Barb

I have owned 2 in the past, different body sizes, interchangeable necks and all the bells and whistles. When i get to a computer, i will share more about my thoughts including a link to a video of mine on youtube.
Some photos of past Brunners. I last heard he had abandoned making CF guitars so he could focus his energies on new wood designs. His CF guitars were stellar, most with removable necks that allowed you to change necks to different scale lengths also. I don't know if he has resumed making CF guitars so if you come across a used Brunner, it won't be long before it is snatched up.

His CF guitars always had some portion still wood, but normally wood in areas that would be less worrisome in terms of effects of humidity and where strength was less important.

Everything is made in his home shop in Switzerland.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber