The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Journey RT660 Size Comparison

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a RT660, which will be my first carbon fiber guitar. I don't need the removable neck of the OF660, so the RT660 seemed a good choice. My question is, how does it compare size-wise to say, a GS Mini or similar wood guitar? I have some restrictions on guitar size due to a surgically reconstructed shoulder, the Mini is at the upper limit that I can tolerate. No one around here stocks any of the Journey models, so on line is my only option. I even thought about ordering a Klos, but felt I wanted a little fuller sounding guitar. Although I am still intrigued by them.

Are there any other comparably sized models I should consider?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Ted from LA Guitar Sales who has a lot of experience with this guitar posted the following in an earlier thread on this subject:

Hey guys,

Yes, I do have one, and I prefer the tone to my OF660. The difference is that the OF660 sounds warmer, something CF newbies might prefer, but I prefer the cleaner tone of the RT660, which seems to be lighter built, so more responsive, which works for me as I mostly play fingerstyle.

As to the difference between the RT660 and the Rainsong Shorty, or the new CH-OM1100NS, I think most folks will find that the Rainsong has a more refined voice, with cleaner bass response, and better note separation. Course the RT660 does have a beautifully contoured body, and it's a bit smaller, more of a 00 than a 000/OM like the Rainsong, so it's a joy to play, and hold, and easier to pack on a plane for sure. The Rainsong is the size of a Taylor Grand Concert 12-fret, and the RT6600 is about the size of the Taylor GS Mini, so it really comes down to personal preference. The safest option will be to buy one of each.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

As for other considerations, an Emerald X7 has a nice small body and short scale. Very comfortable to play with a bigger sound. I owned the Journey OF660 and the X7 and found the tone of the X7 to be louder and better than the Journey. I did find that I liked the neck shape of the Journey better. If not for the desire for a custom build to my specs, the RT660 was on my short list of guitars to try.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm starting the search now to see if I can locate an X7 before making any decisions.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm starting the search now to see if I can locate an X7 before making any decisions.

I’ve got a line on a used RT660 for under$800, seems like a good deal from what I’ve read. I think I’m going to give that a shot..
Old 02-11-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW1 View Post
I’ve got a line on a used RT660 for under$800, seems like a good deal from what I’ve read. I think I’m going to give that a shot..
I'm considering an RT660 myself. That looks like a great deal!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber