The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-03-2018, 03:25 PM

Default Folk Flat picking with hammer ons, runs, frills!

Here is a board member playing very nicely. This type of playing is what I'm looking to improve at this point.

Silly Mustache Playing Lowlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPAr1mGyo4

Sorry, haven't figured out how to embed the youtube video properly. Click on the link and give it a listen anyway!

Seems mostly to be open chords with hammer-ons some runs maybe a pull off here or there. I can strum but not like this! How does one approach practicing these things. Recommendations are welcome!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarama View Post
Here is a board member playing very nicely. This type of playing is what I'm looking to improve at this point.

Silly Mustache Playing Lowlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfPAr1mGyo4

Sorry, haven't figured out how to embed the youtube video properly. Click on the link and give it a listen anyway!

Seems mostly to be open chords with hammer-ons some runs maybe a pull off here or there. I can strum but not like this! How does one approach practicing these things. Recommendations are welcome!
I agree. Mr. SM, please tell us some of your hammer-on secrets.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

All I can say is that I love Silly Mustache's playing!
Old 02-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Andy is a fine player.

The secret to a good hammer-on is...
Practice!

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi all, thanks for the kind words.
I put this up, mainly for the boys (and girl) in the band to consider doing.

The chords are simple: Am,F, C , G, Am and the chorus/refrain is Am-G-G -Am.
Truth is I don't know what I'm doing - esp with my right hand - it's a bit like explaining to someone how you drive - think about it and you mess up.

However, as it's too fast anyway, and a few people have queried my style in the past on other videos, I'll try to put another video up slowing down the tempo and we might all work out what I'm doing ... including me.

Essentially I'm playing a basic sort of boom chick plus picking out the melody (and/or bass line) within the chords - I believe that with simple melodies, they are always to be found within the chords ... but what do I know about music?
Please don't ask for tablature because I could never "see" music like that -I guess I see it with my ears, or fingers . or something - nah too mystic - I just pick the tune out of the chords.

Leave it with me,I'll get back to you.

oh, btw to embed videos go to the video url and copy everything to the right of the = sign.

go back to your message and press the yt symbol, then paste the bit that you copied in between the ] and the [ of the two YouTube remarks in those square parentheses and ... Bob's you uncle.

Hope that helps.

I'll be back.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi all, thanks for the kind words.
I put this up, mainly for the boys (and girl) in the band to consider doing.

The chords are simple: Am,F, C , G, Am and the chorus/refrain is Am-G-G -Am.
Truth is I don't know what I'm doing - esp with my right hand - it's a bit like explaining to someone how you drive - think about it and you mess up.

However, as it's too fast anyway, and a few people have queried my style in the past on other videos, I'll try to put another video up slowing down the tempo and we might all work out what I'm doing ... including me.

Essentially I'm playing a basic sort of boom chick plus picking out the melody (and/or bass line) within the chords - I believe that with simple melodies, they are always to be found within the chords ... but what do I know about music?
Please don't ask for tablature because I could never "see" music like that -I guess I see it with my ears, or fingers . or something - nah too mystic - I just pick the tune out of the chords.

Leave it with me,I'll get back to you.

oh, btw to embed videos go to the video url and copy everything to the right of the = sign.

go back to your message and press the yt symbol, then paste the bit that you copied in between the ] and the [ of the two YouTube remarks in those square parentheses and ... Bob's you uncle.

Hope that helps.

I'll be back.
Looking forward to this thread. I had a blast today, trying to play along with Andy's video, "That Beat Up Old Guitar." Kind of jump started my interest in learning a new song or two.
2017 Martin Retro Ser. 000-15M: Genuine Mahogany
2019 Taylor Limited Ed. 512ce 12-fret: Cedar/Koa
2022 Gibson Original Ser. L-00 Vintage Sunburst
2023 Larrivee OM-40R Custom: Bearclaw/Rosewood
Old 02-04-2018, 10:16 PM

I'll be following up on this thread myself...

I've admired Andy's playing style for a good while and looking forward to some tips...
Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi,
I should be preparing for a session with my financial advisor today but I got up early (for me) and took my 000 into a freezing conservatory to do this for you.

My voice is still very tricky early in the morning, (and apparently inaccurate) so I hope you can understand my ramblings, and I hope this explains what I do - frankly it was a bit of a surprise to me because my "style" just evolved over many years and I hadn't analysed it before.

So rough and ready, here it is :

It might (?) also be helpful to look at my other videos, where I'm not so self conscious, about what I'm playing.

Feel free to ask questions on here or on Y/T.

So, if you have been thanks for looking.

Ol' Andy
Old 02-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Thanks for that Andy. Great job of providing what we asked for!

With youtube's ability to slow it down even more, it's going to be a fun and useful learning tool for me.

Jim
Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

What a great video, Andy! I think a lot of folks will enjoy that one. I think you've said before in other threads, but I can't remember what pick you use. If you could let me know, I appreciate it.

Love that Collings... such beautiful tone!

Thanks for sharing... wishing you well.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Picks? Mostly Blue Chip TAD50 on dreads with medium gauge strings and TAD 40 on smaller guitars (like the 000 in the vid) with light gauge strings.

Each of my guitars also has a Wegen TF140 or TF120 in the pick boxes and most recently I've been remodeling, beveling, polishing Dunlop Purple Tortex 346s which seem to work well. Cheaper but lots of work.

............ and the meeting with our financial advisor went well - apparently we need to spend more!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 02-06-2018 at 05:06 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write