The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2005, 06:51 AM
More guitars than talent

Talking Remember the one that got away? - I got it back!

Remember that 1st guitar you had that you regret selling? After a 4 year search I found my guitar (well, it's twin).

For those who don't remember my story:

I'm 41 and I 've been playing for 4 years now after an 18 year hiatus. With bad health, starting out a marriage in an apartment with too thin of walls to play guitar and a baby on the way, I sold my guitars (but 1) 14 years ago. I really regreted selling my 1st electric. Especially when I got back into playing 4 years ago.

It was a 1977 Ibanez Deluxe 59'er with kind of a blonde/creme translucent finish and a maple neck. DiMarzio Super 70's pickups where stock. No binding, dot markers. Just a clean looking Les Paul copy that turned heads when someone heard it.

I bought a 1976 version yesterday off the internet from a store in California and it arrives on tuesday. Hope my memory is OK and this was worth it. The guitar has pitting in the chrome on the stop tail piece and the tuners and one of the pickups has a bit of the black worn off. Minimal fretwear and all electronics work. They said it doesn't look like it was played very much. Might even be the original case. Sounds like the one I had. No scratches on top and just a couple minor ones on back.

Now I just have to decide which guitar to sell to make room for it. I've gone nuts in the last 4 years and with this guitar, that makes 11

I'll probably sell my just acquired 12 string Takamine Acoustic/Electric or my 1979 Peavey T-60. I've wanted this Ibanez back for years and it will be worth it to give something up for it.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 01-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Great story, and I hope you're completely delighted with it. On the 11 guitars quandry, I'd just say you were due since you sacrificed so gallantly all those years ago.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 PM

Congrats on the new guitar!

If you sell the T-60, just try to find someone excited to get it. I wont be hurt knowing it sold, (of course!) but I admit it has been kinda cool knowing where it went and seeing it in your sig line from time to time. It is the only guitar I ever parted with, and my Dad gave it to me. But I'm glad you got it, because I know you played it and so it got some love. It spent most of its life with me in a case, and that's just sad.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:07 AM
More guitars than talent

Well bagelsgirl, I do have a couple of local buyers lined up since they know what a great guitar the T-60 is and what an incredible value they are but.......

I'm leaning towards selling the Takamine 12 string. That electric T-60 is the most fun to play of ALL my electrics. That includes my Gibson LP custom and strat!

Or my wife will decide, you know, 11 guitars isn't too bad

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 01-23-2005, 10:57 PM

Hey, either way is cool. I still have the epiphone he gave me, and that's the one I learned on, my first guitar... that's the sentimental one. And I hardly ever played that Peavey. Mainly because it was so big and heavy. A guitar that gets played only 20 hours in 20 years is a dead guitar, and I just like the idea of it having a better life with someone else...
Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM

wow thats a really cool story. i hope the guitar is exactly what you hope for when you play it

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 01-26-2005, 07:28 AM
More guitars than talent

It came and was better than I expected. Even the original case is an 9/10. The guitar has no scratches on the top, fretwear only on the b/e strings, some buckle rash and a fine finish crack near the horn and neck and nick on the back. The finish is even better than my old one. You can really see the wood grain thru it. It is kind of dull and I remember my finish being kind of shiny. I suppose after all those years it would dull done.

Actually it is in unbelievable condition for a 29 year old guitar. Oh, and it sounds nice too For a 29 yr old, I would rate it 8/10 overall.

I tried to post a link, but the store took down the picture. I did save them, but don't have anywhere to link them from (sorry).

Old 01-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the find! Very cool indeed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification