The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2015, 09:54 AM

Default Repair The Repair

Hi,

I bought an old Guild F50R ('75) that has one of those pick guard cracks that was repaired at some point in time, though not that well in my opinion. It's cleated and appears stable:

[IMG][/IMG]

Can a repair like this be re-done to feel and look better? I can feel the uneven edges of the crack...as you can see I angled the light to try and illustrate that.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 PM

It is a lot of effort to open a previously repaired crack and re glue. It can be done and it can be improved, but skill and experienced are required to avoid making it even worse. If you are asking the question I would think it may be prudent to bring it to a competent local luthier.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-07-2015, 03:14 PM

Oh I was planning on doing that...I'm not a do-it-yourself, don't have the technical skills.

In fact, I was thinking of shipping off to a pretty well-known repair shop. Not cheap....but wanted to know if it can be done at all.

Last edited by acme97; 02-07-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:20 PM

Anything can be done. Getting it done well is trickier. Making a good repair out of someone elses screw-up is even trickier!

Hope you find the right guy.

-r

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
crack repair, guild d50, spruce top