The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Default Carbon 12-string bridge

Good morning, everyone! I'm new around these parts, but I've been playing guitar for nearly 50 years.

My question is: Is there a fully (as much as practically possible) carbon 12-string product out there, where the bridge is actually molded as part of the top? I believe this would make for a virtually fail-proof guitar.

Thanks very much for any consideration, and God bless us all!

epluribus36
Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM

There are two good options for "fail-proof" concerning the bridge.

Emerald Guitars makes 12 strings. All Emerald bridges are molded as part of the top.

RainSong also makes 12 strings. All RainSong bridges are glued AND held in place by 3 bolts.

It is very, very unlikely that either an Emerald or a RainSong bridge will ever lift whether the guitar has 12 or 6 strings.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
There are two good options for "fail-proof" concerning the bridge.

Emerald Guitars makes 12 strings. All Emerald bridges are molded as part of the top.

RainSong also makes 12 strings. All RainSong bridges are glued AND held in place by 3 bolts.

It is very, very unlikely that either an Emerald or a RainSong bridge will ever lift whether the guitar has 12 or 6 strings.
Thanks very much for your response, Jim K! It sounds like Emerald is the way to go for me, because being part of the top, to me, beats bolts and glue!

Have a terrific day!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 PM

I don't disagree Emerald seems as secure as it gets, even will hold two bridges.

2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-21-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epluribus36 View Post
Thanks very much for your response, Jim K! It sounds like Emerald is the way to go for me, because being part of the top, to me, beats bolts and glue!

Have a terrific day!
But do not discount RainSong. I'm sure RainSong bridges are entirely secure.

You should also consider that RainSong and Emerald offer distinctly different choices in style/aesthetics of the guitar and the tone.

I have both an Emerald and a RainSong, and while they are different, I like both.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K View Post
But do not discount RainSong. I'm sure RainSong bridges are entirely secure.

You should also consider that RainSong and Emerald offer distinctly different choices in style/aesthetics of the guitar and the tone.

I have both an Emerald and a RainSong, and while they are different, I like both.
Agreed....The Rainsong should be tried as well as the Emerald, the bridge should be as secure as you would want without worry and you might pass up a sound you really like.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Thanks very much for your responses, guys! Rainsong or Emerald sounds like the ticket. It's gonna take me awhile to come up with the cash for one of those, so in the meantime, I'm in the market for a less expensive pacifier, like a Seagull 12-string or something similar.

Have a great weekend and God be with you!

epluribus36
Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM

If you must suffer while you save I say a Seagull is not a bad way to suffer.
Cordoba Solista CE CD/IN
Cordoba Fusion 14RS
Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe II HoneyBurst
Fender Standard Stratocaster Gold
Fender Standard Telecaster Lake Placid Blue
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Burst
Ibanez GRGA 42 TRB
Ibanez GRGA 32 WHT
Ibanez SR300 Grey
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 AM

I think CF really is the way to go for 12-string guitars. I have a Rainsong JM3000 (jumbo 12) and it's a great guitar. Either Rainsong 12 would be a good choice.

There are rumors that Peavey is thinking about bringing back the CA 12-string. I'd really have to give that some consideration. The Rainsong 12s have a really wide neck that is a little tough for me to work with (I've got really short fingers). I'm also a pretty big fan of CA Guitars.

If I were to order a 12-string today, I'd probably be looking at the X20-OS from Emerald (though I would probably try to see if it could be built with the "T" headstock and bridge, which I prefer to the "X"). I'm sure I could get the Emerald with a narrower neck (the CA also had a narrower neck, 1.75" I believe).
Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 AM

If you're looking for something more affordable right now, I would suggest looking for a used Ovation 12-string. Ovations' value tend to plummet on the used market and 12-string guitars in general seem to sell poorly. Ovation made some great 12's and they can often be found at serious bargain prices.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Good morning, everyone! I'm new around these parts, but I've been playing guitar for nearly 50 years.

My question is: Is there a fully (as much as practically possible) carbon 12-string product out there, where the bridge is actually molded as part of the top? I believe this would make for a virtually fail-proof guitar.

Thanks very much for any consideration, and God bless us all!

epluribus36
First off welcome to the forum, I think you'll find some good info from some great people here.

As to your question, the only one building CF guitars with an integrated bridge is Emerald but I have never heard of a Rainsong bridge coming loose so it's really a mute point. Bottom line either 12-string will last you a lifetime with minimal upkeep so I would suggest basing your purchase decision on tone and playability not how the guitars are built.

Good luck
Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 PM

I've just had bridges suddenly come apart from the top more than once, and would like to avoid that feeling if at all possible.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:22 PM

I'm curious about this 'integrated bridge'. Is there any info from Emerald regarding this?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote from Alistair

"My guitars are indeed one piece. If you look inside you may see joins in the carbon fibre but this is just where the carbon layers overlap each other. There is no physical join in the guitar and they come out of the mould with all the parts attached including the bridge.
The finish on the bridge is black but if it were clear you would see the carbon weave carry right up around the face of the bridge.
That sucker aint coming off any time soon....
Alistair"

Though the integrated bridge is unique, more surprising is the entire guitar is one piece. Only in the Emerald City.

Here are both my Doublenecks, I love the wood Yairi but these were discontinued probably cause the bridge would separate, mine has been repaired. Reality I never play the Yairi and the Emerald is my main working guitar.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 10-26-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I've just had bridges suddenly come apart from the top more than once, and would like to avoid that feeling if at all possible.
As noted already the kind of failure that can happen with a wood guitar and wood bridge is unlikely with an all carbon guitar. One of my Rainsongs spent all summer in the back of my SUV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber