The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Languedoc archtop as used by Trey Anastasio of Phish

I haven't really noticed archtops until I got interested in what Trey plays, which is a Languedoc. Wondering if any of you have played such an instrument? They are expensive custom instruments, and now I want one.

From the website: http://www.languedocguitars.com/faq/

Quote:
Most of the curly maple used in bodies is a European variety intended for fine cellos. More exotic woods are getting harder to find consistently, but in any case, tops and backs are carved from solid book-matched plates, as any violin family instrument would be.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 AM

They are lovely guitars, that's for sure. Not sure I would call them arch-tops as much as hollow or chambered body electric guitars, but that's nit-picking. Using solid maple carved for the top takes it out of the acoustic guitar category, but would be ideal for a performance instrument in a loud band setting. Similar guitars are available from PRS, Gibson makes a chambered Les Paul, Fender makes (or made) chambered Telecasters, and all for the reasons quoted - an "earthier, more organic tone". I made an electric/archtop cross-over guitar, based on a fully chambered (completely hollow inside) mahogany body with a fully carved, tap-tuned and X-braced cedar top, and it has a beautiful electric jazz tone at low volumes, sustains like a solid body guitar, and feeds back like a full body archtop...
1946 Epiphone Zephyr electric archtop
1957 Hofner Senator archtop
1962 Gibson Melody Maker electric
1963 National Dynamic lap steel
1996 Landola jumbo
1998 Godin Artisan TC electric
2003 Epiphone SG electric
2010 GoldTone PBR-CA resonator
2015 Evans electric archtop
2016 Evans archtop
Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 AM

Brian, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of hollow body electric as a category, but as I looked at his website, I can see that's exactly what they are, and are advertised as such. I think that these guitars would have the advantage of being much lighter than a solid body, which sounds like a great thing apart from whatever sound enhancement the 'soundboard' would impart.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
I haven't really noticed archtops until I got interested in what Trey plays, which is a Languedoc. Wondering if any of you have played such an instrument? They are expensive custom instruments, and now I want one.

From the website: http://www.languedocguitars.com/faq/

So much information on 'docs and 'doc copies exists on Phish forums and TGP! You might try a search at TGP as a start. Also look into Equator (issues with timelines and delivery expectation) or Artinger for less expensive, but similar options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops