The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM
blue blue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WetSiiiide! WA
Posts: 6,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I've owned a National tri-cone some time back. Good quality and a great guitar. The neck was fat and I didn't get into it at that time. I do own a very old Johnson. I've been thinking of getting a G9220 as I like the sound of the wood and spider cone. So I've been playing with my Johnson :-). I used to like it but now I find it shrill and so heavy. Being heavy is one thing but it's like I have to fight it to keep it on my lap. I hate that. It's one of those guitars that's to heavy and to cheap to sell on EBay.
Well, if your Johnson is patterned on a National, that small body, with all the weight, is going to want to move on you unless you use almost a classical positioning. I always have a stool, put my foot up on the case, or if I'm playing out a strap to hold my Nationals in position. I hate supporting even a half ounce of the guitar's weight in my fretting hand. A slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean.

I've seen great players just sit on a chair with their knees level and play them. But I can't.
__________________
I only play technologically cutting edge instruments. Parker Flys and National Resonators
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Rumblefish's Avatar
Rumblefish Rumblefish is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli View Post
I own a Gretsch Honey dipper and a National tricone polychrome.I like the HD but it gave me lots of problems,varnish chipping after a few weeks,a nickel allergy and at the moment I dont know why the area arond the twelve fret buzzes a lot.The National it's simply perfect! I like it so much that I'm selling a couple of Martins to get an M1 wooden tricone.Both HD and Polychrome weight a ton
I also have a Polychrome Steel Tricone and it's a fantastic guitar. Like you I've always wanted to get my hands on an M1.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-13-2017, 07:21 PM
blue blue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WetSiiiide! WA
Posts: 6,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
I also have a Polychrome Steel Tricone [/IMG][/URL]
I used to own one in that very color. I got rid of it in my very slow move towards minimalism... Superb guitar. The best thing about yours is where it lives! Within Eyesight of what looks like some superb cast iron cookware! Easy to grab means grabbed more often!

I miss it, but I'm not suffering much. Still have a Modern German Silver tricone and brass Style N singlecone.
__________________
I only play technologically cutting edge instruments. Parker Flys and National Resonators
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Rumblefish's Avatar
Rumblefish Rumblefish is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I used to own one in that very color. I got rid of it in my very slow move towards minimalism... Superb guitar. The best thing about yours is where it lives! Within Eyesight of what looks like some superb cast iron cookware! Easy to grab means grabbed more often!

I miss it, but I'm not suffering much. Still have a Modern German Silver tricone and brass Style N singlecone.
I have a bunch of instruments but that one is almost always within easy reach. I've got a couple of pans that are the same way
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 AM
stephen mills stephen mills is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South west of France
Posts: 242
Question resonator

Hi strummers and pluckers

Hi Don

Do not sucked into any trap. There is a lot of good info here on this one.
My advice over 58 years active playing, is to go and try 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 Resies and make the choice based on how you thought they palyed and your pocket

There is no better advice

BUT, don't forget to come back and tell us what you bought.

Stephen

Remember the first Resies were guitars with a hold cut in them and a Alumin sauce pan lid stuck in it ( we would now say Basic, but the sound is amazing!!. I have played many and you cannot find one to buy how ( 1890/1935
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-30-2017, 01:00 PM
rockabilly69 rockabilly69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 994
Default

Lately I'v been playing my wood bodied National M2 a lot! My playing style isn't really traditional, and the M2 fits what I'm doing perfectly. I just love the recorded tone I'm getting, and I also love that the weight is reasonable compared to the metal bodied ones (I also own a metal Triolian and Polychrome Tricone)....



Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-30-2017, 02:43 PM
blue blue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: WetSiiiide! WA
Posts: 6,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Lately I'v been playing my wood bodied National M2 a lot! My playing style isn't really traditional, and the M2 fits what I'm doing perfectly. I just love the recorded tone I'm getting, and I also love that the weight is reasonable compared to the metal bodied ones (I also own a metal Triolian and Polychrome Tricone)....



Keep at it and you may get the hang of it one day...

Wow! You are getting some TONE into your recordings! It sounds old, while being digitally clean.

If I recall you play bare fingered? If so, that's all the more impressive. I've found it slightly harder to get a fat tone out of the treble strings on a wooden national barefingered. No problem for you...

Can't say enough about what I just heard. Especially fond of the groove you laid down on the second track.
__________________
I only play technologically cutting edge instruments. Parker Flys and National Resonators
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:39 AM
rockabilly69 rockabilly69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Keep at it and you may get the hang of it one day...

Wow! You are getting some TONE into your recordings! It sounds old, while being digitally clean.

If I recall you play bare fingered? If so, that's all the more impressive. I've found it slightly harder to get a fat tone out of the treble strings on a wooden national barefingered. No problem for you...

Can't say enough about what I just heard. Especially fond of the groove you laid down on the second track.
Coming from my National playing partner in crime, I'll take this as a huge compliment!!! And yes, I do play bare-fingered. I've tried picks, but I can't get the feel I'm used to. I'll keep on trying, but we all have our weaknesses
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-31-2017, 12:46 PM
Cross Roads Cross Roads is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 113
Default

I've enjoyed a 1992 OMI Dobro Hound Dog for 20 years now.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Rumblefish's Avatar
Rumblefish Rumblefish is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Lately I'v been playing my wood bodied National M2 a lot! My playing style isn't really traditional, and the M2 fits what I'm doing perfectly. I just love the recorded tone I'm getting, and I also love that the weight is reasonable compared to the metal bodied ones (I also own a metal Triolian and Polychrome Tricone)....



Great playing! You've got a little Skip James thing going there. I play bare fingered as well and love the tone.

I first came across resonator guitar when I met Chris Whitley back in the eighties. His playing really blew me away. He used a homemade, cut down slide and a ring slide and picks on all his fingers. It took me awhile to realize I wasn't and would never be Chris Whitley and I found my own bare finger style. I still try picks once in awhile but I guess they're just not for me.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-13-2017, 11:40 AM
rockabilly69 rockabilly69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ogden, Utah
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Great playing! You've got a little Skip James thing going there. I play bare fingered as well and love the tone.

I first came across resonator guitar when I met Chris Whitley back in the eighties. His playing really blew me away. He used a homemade, cut down slide and a ring slide and picks on all his fingers. It took me awhile to realize I wasn't and would never be Chris Whitley and I found my own bare finger style. I still try picks once in awhile but I guess they're just not for me.
Skip James and Chris Whitley are two of my biggest influences, so I'm glad you caught that! Here's my version of one of my favorites Chris Whitley songs "Dirt Floor", which I sang at my dad's funeral. And if you knew my dad, you would know the song fit perfectly ....

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6697257

I talked to Chris Whitley twice for extended periods after two of his shows in Salt Lake City. He was was very kind and thoughtful. He signed one of his set-lists for me, and also gave me his tunings on some songs I couldn't figure out. It was his inspiration that got me tuning my guitars into my own tunings. The tuning for the two songs you listened to are Fortune Teller CGCEGC (capo on 3), and Lovesick Heart CGCGGC.

As for Skip James I love the songs where he sang in his fragile high range, which I find myself doing and liking.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-13-2017, 01:20 PM
Rumblefish's Avatar
Rumblefish Rumblefish is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 222
Default

It's great that Chris continues to be an influence on musicians. I was fortunate enough to know him personally for many years. He recorded some demos in my kitchen in Brooklyn way back. He is missed by many people. One of a kind talent for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 AM
elwood76 elwood76 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: England
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Great playing! You've got a little Skip James thing going there. I play bare fingered as well and love the tone.

I first came across resonator guitar when I met Chris Whitley back in the eighties. His playing really blew me away. He used a homemade, cut down slide and a ring slide and picks on all his fingers. It took me awhile to realize I wasn't and would never be Chris Whitley and I found my own bare finger style. I still try picks once in awhile but I guess they're just not for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Skip James and Chris Whitley are two of my biggest influences, so I'm glad you caught that! Here's my version of one of my favorites Chris Whitley songs "Dirt Floor", which I sang at my dad's funeral. And if you knew my dad, you would know the song fit perfectly ....

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6697257

I talked to Chris Whitley twice for extended periods after two of his shows in Salt Lake City. He was was very kind and thoughtful. He signed one of his set-lists for me, and also gave me his tunings on some songs I couldn't figure out. It was his inspiration that got me tuning my guitars into my own tunings. The tuning for the two songs you listened to are Fortune Teller CGCEGC (capo on 3), and Lovesick Heart CGCGGC.

As for Skip James I love the songs where he sang in his fragile high range, which I find myself doing and liking.
Glad to have bumped into some other Whitley devotees. What a great player, songwriter and lyricist he was. I never got to see him as I'm in the UK and he wasn't over here that much. I love all the old Bluesmen, particularly Son House, Charley Patton and Bukka White, amongst others, but Chris Whitley was the one who re-ignited my fascination with Resonators and the reason I finally acquired one.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-14-2017, 01:38 AM
elwood76 elwood76 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: England
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
It's great that Chris continues to be an influence on musicians. I was fortunate enough to know him personally for many years. He recorded some demos in my kitchen in Brooklyn way back. He is missed by many people. One of a kind talent for sure.
Nice lil story
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=