The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY

Old 12-30-2016, 01:45 PM

Serious thread drift. Re left and right brain function. It is 20 minutes, you'll probably get bored but it is worth it to stick it out. Nothing specific to guitar but clearly right brain does certain things, left brain does other things.

hunter

Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM

Those of you taking the position of force her to play right handed are projecting your own views onto another .
It doesn't matter what you claim your natural personal orientation to be , you are still doing it .
This is and should remain the choice of the individual irregardless of how much this strays from the pack mentality .
Please stop doing this .
Old 12-30-2016, 03:56 PM

She should play right handed.

hunter
Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
I have a new student who is just beginning. She is right-handed, but has learned her first couple of chords playing left-handed on a left-handed guitar, an wants to stay left. Any feedback from AGF members would be appreciated. Do you think she'll advance ? She struggles with strumming but didn't we all. Does anyone know why it is that conventionally we strum with our dominant side but play chords etc with our "weaker" side ? Thanks in advance. I'll go shovel snow and check for answers later.
I can understand the girl wants to keep her progression intact and not unlearn stuff just to fit a conventional profile. When I first picked up a guitar the thing was foreign to both hands. it was only because of the guitar's build that I learned as a righty.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
I have a new student who is just beginning. She is right-handed, but has learned her first couple of chords playing left-handed on a left-handed guitar, an wants to stay left. Any feedback from AGF members would be appreciated. Do you think she'll advance ? She struggles with strumming but didn't we all. Does anyone know why it is that conventionally we strum with our dominant side but play chords etc with our "weaker" side ? Thanks in advance. I'll go shovel snow and check for answers later.
Strumming is the thing that was there for me at the start .
There is no dominant side when playing a guitar . Two hands doing very different things at the same time . Dominant side things tend to be tied to hand/eye tasks .
There does tend to be a hand that has the rhythm and that should be the side to remain doing that task .
I do find it interesting that she found a left handed guitar first when so many claim that they are so difficult too find even when looking for one intentionally .
I do love irony .
Old 12-31-2016, 08:02 AM

When there's a thread regarding left handed players, some of those who play "their way" seem to think something is very wrong with playing left handed. Us lefties could care less about which way you play and i think she feels the same way.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:28 AM

OP here. Student is practicing hard, doing her best and very interested in advancing. I would say that her skills with both hands are equivalent so far. If I see for example, that she cannot get her strumming to advance beyond absolute beginner level, I'll lend her a "right-handed" guitar and ask her to try a switch even if only temporary. She wants to learn (model student) everything...fingerstyle, strumming, various musical styles. FYI she is an adult, has high expectations in everything she learns, and gets migraine headaches. OK I love her...she's my niece. She's been playing for 3 weeks total. Can form 8 chords but none are sounding clean yet.

I posted a thread a little over 2 years ago about a new student with mental illness who wanted badly to learn metal and rock guitar. He can now play rythym for 30 rock and metal tunes, and other skills. His confidence as a person has slightly improved. I received very helpful advice from this forum and I thank everyone for their input on that, and on this, request.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:40 PM

I'm a left handed, and learned on a right hand guitar mainly because this was what was available. It took me a lot of time to get my right hand in control but then again I had no teacher and wasn't practicing correctly.

It started coming on after a year and ever since it feels natural !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY