The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
When I got my issues "with CTS" tested, the guy doing the nerve testing recommend wearing wrist braces at night. He pointed out that no matter what, sooner or later we end up in a fetal position with our wrists curled while sleeping..much like our fret wrist is supposed to be when playing the guitar.

This is what causes the 'damage'.

Combining this with repeated & numerous full days at a laptop, and lots of playing in the evenings, is when my symptoms appeared (on both wrists actually).

I noticed very quick improvement in my wrists when i started wearing the braces to bed, and trying to conciously straighten my wrists while sleeping/wakening. I only needed them for a short while.
Uh, fretting hand wrist is supposed to be more straight, not bent and preferably, not rotated.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS8 View Post
Hi Johnd (and others). A good friend of mine suffered from carpal tunnel and it especially had an impact on his guitar playing. He plays a lot so we think it is definitely the culprit. I got him to use the wrist wrap called BFST (blood flow stimulation therapy) and it has done wonders for him. It's an all natural treatment too. I've attached the link in case anyone is interested. http://www.kingbrand.com/Carpal_Tunn...php?REF=46PV90
Folks, please don't utilize devices without a Doctor's direction.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Folks, please don't utilize devices without a Doctor's direction.
I definitely agree. Getting a diagnosis from a doctor should always be step number 1.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Could be a neck issue as well. Proper posture gets more important the older we get.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
As well as CTS, a narrowing of the foraminal space where the nerve passes from the spinal cord through the vertebra and/or degenerative disks at vertebra C6or7 puts pressure on the nerve which can result in a loss of arm/hand strength. It may or may not be accompanied by pain… Often comes along with being 50+ and the wear and tear that got you there. MRI and good Doc are needed to pin it down.
Thank you Sage, it's great to hear this !
I have this problem which started recently along with bad upper back muscle spasm pain (coincidentally I think). scared the hell out of me (stroke? Tumor? Etc)

I went for X-rays and one of the diagnoses was a problem with forminal space between C5/6 and C6/7.

I haven't seen to a surgeon yet and it seems an MRI is required for full diagnosis, but have had physio and Biokinetics and started stretching. The strength is mostly back in my hand but not the dexterity, but I have been reassured that permanent nerve damage is very unlikely.

I've been advised to use clothes pegs with elastic bands for extra resistance to strengthen the fingers. Guitar is bad because of the wrist angle, it seems :-(

Anyway, my main reason for posting this was to reassure others who may get the same fright as me :-)

Also to reiterate...stretch frequently and pay careful attention to ergonomics when working on computers, etc.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:46 AM

I ignored this for almost ten years.

By the time I saw the hand surgeon I had to have more than one surgery to correct it and I believe there may have been permanent damage, since now 6+ months after the surgery, I am noticing intermittent symptoms (but not even in the same category as before. Just before my surgery, I couldn't play guitar for more than a couple minutes before my fretting hand was completely numb).

Don't wait, go to a primary now.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:02 PM

I am having similar problems to the OP. Mine started a few months ago but I haven't seen a doctor yet. I am wondering how the follow up went? Have you resolved the issue?

I mainly lost strength in my left hand - mostly in the pinky and finger next to it. I have a doctor's appointment soon, so I plan on discussing it.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Think of the nervous system in terms of a signal chain. There are several points in which signal degradation or disruption can occur, from the motor cortex of the brain (stroke) to peripheral nerve impingement (CTS). See a qualified physician who knows how to evaluate dysesthesias along the entire chain. (Including cervical disk disease)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-21-2021, 02:01 PM

Thanks....I need a medical dictionary lol
Old 02-21-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Could be a neck issue as well. Proper posture gets more important the older we get.
This ^ could be very relevant.

I would hazard that poor posture (often caused by long stints sitting before a computer) is a modern plague and affects us in a variety of ways.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperrob View Post
I am having similar problems to the OP. Mine started a few months ago but I haven't seen a doctor yet. I am wondering how the follow up went? Have you resolved the issue?

I mainly lost strength in my left hand - mostly in the pinky and finger next to it. I have a doctor's appointment soon, so I plan on discussing it.
I have suffered (and still suffer) similar issues in the past couple of years. While a doctor's advice is best, I would consider adding some rows to your exercise regime. It really helps. I went from being able to haul acres worth of bales of hay 12 hours a day to not being able to hold a coffee cup or a hold my hand on the steering wheel of a car. I still suffer issues but doing heavy rows helps a lot. Covid and not being able to access the gym has been quite an issue for me. Best of luck, I hope the doctor's appointment goes well and that you find a resolution. I empathize and know that this is not an easy situation to deal with.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Think of the nervous system in terms of a signal chain. There are several points in which signal degradation or disruption can occur, from the motor cortex of the brain (stroke) to peripheral nerve impingement (CTS). See a qualified physician who knows how to evaluate dysesthesias along the entire chain. (Including cervical disk disease)
Yep, as an MD, at 31 years old your condition is unlikely to be anything bad, but why delay and ask the internet? With free medical care (the thing we need desperately in the US), go see a qualified MD and have it properly diagnosed.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:42 PM

I've struggled with "tennis elbow" several times over the last few years. I finally got control over it with the help of a physical therapist who specialized in industrial injuries. She measured an angle on my hand/wrist and had me get this brace: https://www.wristwidget.com

She also gave me various exercises, but I believe the key was the brace.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

A couple of years ago, I had the more invasive Carpal Tunnel surgery in my left hand. I had no feeling of weakness but my doctor pointed out muscle atrophy. My symptom was numbness, especially while gripping a steering wheel, and I'd wake up numb. While years later I can feel exactly where I was cut, particularly doing stretching exercises, it's far better than before. I was told the right hand needed the lite version od surgery, but I'm just starting to show symptoms.

See a doctor.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion