The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Guitarist - Humanist

Default A unique pair of 1999 handcrafted Bozo Podunavac guitars

I had two guitars made (completed in 1999) when Bozo agreed to build this "custom" body style and custom cutaway. No other Bozo Podunavac guitars in this shape exist anywhere in the Universe…they are a unique pair.

Body Size:
Custom body based on Bozo's new Bell Western, but with a tighter (OM-ish) waist and also distinctive/unique cutaways.
upper bout 11-1/2
lower bout 15-3/8
waist 9-7/8
depth @ neck 3-3/4
depth @ tail 4-3/4
length 20-1/8
Scale length 25.4"
Nut width 1-3/4"
Bridge spacing 2-1/4"
3/16" wide saddles, fully compensated (new).
New Gotoh "Delta" (21:1) tuners.
One-way Martin truss-rods, as was standard for that era.

Full herringbone front purfling and backstrip, 1/2 herringbone back and sides purfling.
Ebony rosettes with small birds.
Headstocks are Bozo’s beautiful old-style flower pot.
Neck profile is somewhat Olson-like, a slightly flattened "C", not flat-enough to call a "D" shape.

Both guitars are punchy, bell-like, crisp, clear, and Big/deep sounding…thick trebles, great string separation and yet with pleasing overtones.

Koa has brand new EVO fretwire, and is in very good (if not excellent) cosmetic condition.

The Koa is quite spectacular, the EIR attractive (well-defined chocolate color) and straight-grained. Tops are (according to Bozo historian Brian Kolner) both White/Canadian Spruce. Crisper than Sitka, along the lines of any Euro-spruce. Tops both have a small bit of attractive bear-claw/figure. Koa has flamed Koa for binding, the EIR has maple.

The top of EIR guitar suffered some pick damage, from one negligent player when the guitar was in someone else’s hands...multiple small scratches, and one-big/deep-scratch.

The repair was a carefully executed (restoration/repair-tech Dennis Berck, well known on the UMGF and around the world for his work on vintage acoustics) drop-fill/blend, and was not a refinish or an overspray. The touch-up work is fully continuous with the surrounding areas on the top, and does look good and feels great. The damage has been rather well minimized…the big-scratch is visible from most angles, but much-reduced. From the "player's perspective" (guitar in lap) *all* damage is slightly visible.

Dennis did a terrific job on the cosmetic restoration, as the marks were well-into the wood. I include in the next post (below) some pre- and post-repair photos for comparison sake.

EIR has its endpin drilled for electronics (I will be installing a Taylor endpin.), and has a 9v battery holder mounted on the neck-block.

The Koa guitar has not had electronics in it (unusual for me!), and it has a small screw (pilot hole) hole to attach a strap button at the tail of the guitar.

One white deluxe Calton case (with Koa), one standard archtop hardshell case (with EIR). Both guitars fit both cases.

Pricing is $8650 for the Koa (w/Calton), and $5650 for the EIR (check/cash/wire-transfer price) plus shipping, ONLY in the continental U.S. Any international buyer will have to pick up guitar(s) in person, or arrange for shipping to a location within the borders of the U.S. where they can arrange for some other delivery. $13,995 for the guitars as a pair.

EDIT: I will hand-deliver the instruments as a pair to any West Coast-ish buyer, from San Diego to Vancouver, B.C. (include AZ and other western States in that)

NO trades, please.

PLEASE send any questions/comments to me directly at LP@LarryPattis.com. Thank you.

Koa photos included in this post:

Larry Pattis on Pandora and Spotify
LarryPattis.com

Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Steel-string guitars by Larrivée

Bozo Podunavac Guitars For Sale!

"We should never touch the string without meaning or purpose." ~ Pepe Romero

"A performance is not a contest, but a love affair." ~ Glenn Gould

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 04-07-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Guitarist - Humanist

East Indian Rosewood photos:

Pre-repair
scratch photo:

Post-repair:

Post-repair:

Post-repair:

LarryPattis.com

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-11-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Guitarist - Humanist

More EIR photos:

LarryPattis.com

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 11-11-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 AM

A couple of beautiful and unique instruments, Larry. Both gorgeous examples of his craftsmanship. In a craft where the "Master Luthier" is thrown about too loosely, Bozo P. truly was deserving that title. One detail of his that I've never seen on any other guitar is that he always left a small strip of side wood between the binding and purfling. I never thought to ask him about it when I worked for him. I guess that it's just another of those details that not only add to the Bozo uniqueness, but is also a testament to his luthier "chops".

Fantastic instruments and good prices.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful and classy guitars Larry.

Hopefully some collector/player will take advantage of this opportunity and make a wise investment in one or both of these.

Bump for some stunning eye and ear candy - - -
Old 02-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
A couple of beautiful and unique instruments, Larry. One detail of his that I've never seen on any other guitar is that he always left a small strip of side wood between the binding and purfling.
Yes, the exposed side wood is a unique feature that looks very nice and gives the effect of extra wide purfling. Must be difficult to rout out without chipping the wood.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Really lovely !!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Guitarist - Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
A couple of beautiful and unique instruments, Larry. Both gorgeous examples of his craftsmanship. In a craft where the "Master Luthier" is thrown about too loosely, Bozo P. truly was deserving that title. One detail of his that I've never seen on any other guitar is that he always left a small strip of side wood between the binding and purfling. I never thought to ask him about it when I worked for him. I guess that it's just another of those details that not only add to the Bozo uniqueness, but is also a testament to his luthier "chops".

Fantastic instruments and good prices.
Thanks so very much for this, Michael.

Glad you could point out some small details regarding Bozo's work...you would be one to know!

Take good care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Yes, the exposed side wood is a unique feature that looks very nice and gives the effect of extra wide purfling. Must be difficult to rout out without chipping the wood.

Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
Beautiful and classy guitars Larry.

Hopefully some collector/player will take advantage of this opportunity and make a wise investment in one or both of these.

Bump for some stunning eye and ear candy - - -

Thanks.

Yes, these guitars should be played (if at all possible), and they are most certainly collectible and rare instruments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmikeinnj View Post
Really lovely !!

Indeed.

LarryPattis.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars