The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Thanks Tim, for the lesson. I still find it amazing that you work that close in proximity to the fretboard binding that is already finished and not mar the finish. Awesome!
Old 01-03-2017, 06:29 PM

There are few things more beautiful than the grain on a redwood-topped guitar. Stunning.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 PM

I like the irony of the firewood in the background and wonder how many times a cool piece ends up being used for a rosette or headstock veneer? It has to have happened once at least.

And yes, that redwood top is beautiful.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Thanks Tim, for the lesson. I still find it amazing that you work that close in proximity to the fretboard binding that is already finished and not mar the finish. Awesome!
Hence, another reason I wear a headband magnifier to enhance vision ... but the main reason I can be seen wearing one, in the parking lot of Lowes, is just trying to find my car.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
There are few things more beautiful than the grain on a redwood-topped guitar. Stunning.
Thanks Kurt. This top was a one of a kind slice of sinker redwood. I love what the mineral stains did to it.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I like the irony of the firewood in the background and wonder how many times a cool piece ends up being used for a rosette or headstock veneer? It has to have happened once at least.

And yes, that redwood top is beautiful.
It happens more times than I care to admit. I see the firewood pile as BTU's but Mary examines each piece with an artist's eye and she has gleaned a small stash of awesome pieces that she turns into beautiful rosettes. We may have been one of the earliest users of spalted Maple rosettes? I thought she was nuts, putting those rotten and punky pieces of maple aside, until I saw what she did with them and lo and behold spalted maple has become one of our most popular rosette choices.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
It happens more times than I care to admit. I see the firewood pile as BTU's but Mary examines each piece with an artist's eye and she has gleaned a small stash of awesome pieces that she turns into beautiful rosettes. We may have been one of the earliest users of spalted Maple rosettes? I thought she was nuts, putting those rotten and punky pieces of maple aside, until I saw what she did with them and lo and behold spalted maple has become one of our most popular rosette choices.
I love it! I wish for many reasons that Memphis did not have to be cancelled, but one very high on the list was a chance to meet the McKnight team!

I know sometimes when I am throwing wood into the stove I will see a nice spalted piece and wish I had the chance to do something more with it than burn it. In fact, the kid helping me cut firewood this season got a little lesson in spalted wood from me whether he knew he needed it or not hahaha.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I love it! I wish for many reasons that Memphis did not have to be cancelled, but one very high on the list was a chance to meet the McKnight team!

I know sometimes when I am throwing wood into the stove I will see a nice spalted piece and wish I had the chance to do something more with it than burn it. In fact, the kid helping me cut firewood this season got a little lesson in spalted wood from me whether he knew he needed it or not hahaha.
Shucks, we were sad to see Memphis cancelling the show too and we were really looking forward to meeting you too Tom! I bet the kid got a good education from you about woods. Its important that we share our knowledge with the younger generations when the opportunities present.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy...

If you find any spalted maple I am interested! I have been looking locally for 3 feet pieces to use for binding. Tell that kid keep his eyes open for me.

Kurt can tell you how I really like the cut-away of one of his McKnight guitars. The spalt sits beautifully on the curve. To my eye it is absolutely stunning!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Heyyyyyyyyyyyy...

If you find any spalted maple I am interested! I have been looking locally for 3 feet pieces to use for binding. Tell that kid keep his eyes open for me.

Kurt can tell you how I really like the cut-away of one of his McKnight guitars. The spalt sits beautifully on the curve. To my eye it is absolutely stunning!
Haha, I will definitely do that. As an aside, Mr. Vines has a guitar for sale on the custom thread with extensive use of spalted wood in a fashion as you just described, I also find it stunning!!!!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Haha, I will definitely do that. As an aside, Mr. Vines has a guitar for sale on the custom thread with extensive use of spalted wood in a fashion as you just described, I also find it stunning!!!!
It absolutely is stunning. Tim use to burn it because the fungus disgusted him. It definitely attracts the eye.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

The ultra thin pick guard material being, drawn, cut and applied:

I really prefer very thin and clear pick guards. After its in placed and all rubbed down its nearly invisible.

A hole is drilled in the end block to accept the pick up jack.

For the K&K Pure mini PUP:

A half blind guy, working in a blind location, is a somewhat difficult task. I wonder how many other builders have glued their fingers to the bridgeplate of a guitar ... not that I ever have?
Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Clear pickguards are awesome! From head on really difficult to see but provide the protection I want for my guitars.

In the last pic, are those golf tees in the pin holes?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Smile Clear thin Pick Guards

After 5 1/2 years and countless gigs my RT2c 12 fret is starting to sport some serious HONEST play wear on the sinker redwood top....

This is a good reminder to ask John K for a PG for my new Cedar topped axe!

My goodness this is a beauty!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-16-2017, 06:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Clear pickguards are awesome! From head on really difficult to see but provide the protection I want for my guitars.

In the last pic, are those golf tees in the pin holes?
You are very observant Dennis. Yes indeed, those are golf tees. They are a tactile reference and help me find the location to glue the PUP discs between each pair of strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop