The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I've owned a National tri-cone some time back. Good quality and a great guitar. The neck was fat and I didn't get into it at that time. I do own a very old Johnson. I've been thinking of getting a G9220 as I like the sound of the wood and spider cone. So I've been playing with my Johnson :-). I used to like it but now I find it shrill and so heavy. Being heavy is one thing but it's like I have to fight it to keep it on my lap. I hate that. It's one of those guitars that's to heavy and to cheap to sell on EBay.
Well, if your Johnson is patterned on a National, that small body, with all the weight, is going to want to move on you unless you use almost a classical positioning. I always have a stool, put my foot up on the case, or if I'm playing out a strap to hold my Nationals in position. I hate supporting even a half ounce of the guitar's weight in my fretting hand. A slight exaggeration, but you get what I mean.

I've seen great players just sit on a chair with their knees level and play them. But I can't.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli View Post
I own a Gretsch Honey dipper and a National tricone polychrome.I like the HD but it gave me lots of problems,varnish chipping after a few weeks,a nickel allergy and at the moment I dont know why the area arond the twelve fret buzzes a lot.The National it's simply perfect! I like it so much that I'm selling a couple of Martins to get an M1 wooden tricone.Both HD and Polychrome weight a ton
I also have a Polychrome Steel Tricone and it's a fantastic guitar. Like you I've always wanted to get my hands on an M1.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
I also have a Polychrome Steel Tricone [/IMG][/URL]
I used to own one in that very color. I got rid of it in my very slow move towards minimalism... Superb guitar. The best thing about yours is where it lives! Within Eyesight of what looks like some superb cast iron cookware! Easy to grab means grabbed more often!

I miss it, but I'm not suffering much. Still have a Modern German Silver tricone and brass Style N singlecone.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I used to own one in that very color. I got rid of it in my very slow move towards minimalism... Superb guitar. The best thing about yours is where it lives! Within Eyesight of what looks like some superb cast iron cookware! Easy to grab means grabbed more often!

I miss it, but I'm not suffering much. Still have a Modern German Silver tricone and brass Style N singlecone.
I have a bunch of instruments but that one is almost always within easy reach. I've got a couple of pans that are the same way

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments