The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-03-2017, 05:15 PM
m-thirty-great m-thirty-great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Default La Patrie v. Cordoba Luthier series neck profiles

I have played various La Patrie models, so I am familiar with their neck profiles. However, I have not played any Cordoba Luthier series guitars, but I am curious how their neck profiles compare to the La Patrie guitars. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
__________________
www.dreadedblues.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-03-2017, 05:36 PM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,756
Default

I've owned a couple of La Patries and currently have a Motif. I've owned a Cordoba C-10 Crossover and a C-9 Parlor. The Motif's neck is a little wider and bulkier than those of the two Cordobas, which both had a 1 7/8" nut widths. However, comfort-wise, there's not a significant difference for me - I can still do the thumb-wrap with the Motif. Having a truss rod, perhaps they were able to reduce the overall dimensions somewhat. I also prefer the matte finish on the Motif's neck to the gloss on the two Cordobas'.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-03-2017, 06:12 PM
m-thirty-great m-thirty-great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I've owned a couple of La Patries and currently have a Motif. I've owned a Cordoba C-10 Crossover and a C-9 Parlor. The Motif's neck is a little wider and bulkier than those of the two Cordobas, which both had a 1 7/8" nut widths. However, comfort-wise, there's not a significant difference for me - I can still do the thumb-wrap with the Motif. Having a truss rod, perhaps they were able to reduce the overall dimensions somewhat. I also prefer the matte finish on the Motif's neck to the gloss on the two Cordobas'.
Thanks for the message. It is helpful. I bought a La Patrie Collection in the late 1990s and had it until recently (gave it to a friend). I have also played some Etudes. I am curious about trying a C9 or C10 crossover, but have not been able to find one to try in person.
__________________
www.dreadedblues.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Dafiryde Dafiryde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Trinidad And Tobago
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
Thanks for the message. It is helpful. I bought a La Patrie Collection in the late 1990s and had it until recently (gave it to a friend). I have also played some Etudes. I am curious about trying a C9 or C10 crossover, but have not been able to find one to try in person.
Can you give me some personal feed back on the LaPatrie collection and, which strings you used
__________________
Dave
Trini2dbone
Gibson learn and master guitar
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2017, 08:49 AM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
Thanks for the message. It is helpful. I bought a La Patrie Collection in the late 1990s and had it until recently (gave it to a friend). I have also played some Etudes. I am curious about trying a C9 or C10 crossover, but have not been able to find one to try in person.
In the US, I don't think you will be able to find them in stores. GC and Sam Ash only seem to sell the hotter sales-ticket GK and straight C models. I had to order both the Crossover and the Parlor from Musician's Friend. They are very nice guitars, though, and very comfortable to play. My preference for the Motif right now is because I find the dimensions, sound and feel so conducive to vigorous-picking folk and ragtime pieces. I've also got one Kremona Sofia S63CW because it has a cutaway, together with the slightly narrower nut width and truss rod, which are features I like. The acoustic sound of the Kremona is very rich and sweet indeed, considering it's part laminate. Only the top is solid (cedar).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 AM
dkstott dkstott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middletown, Connecticut
Posts: 661
Default

FWIW-- Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are the same company.

I got my C10 Crossover via the local GC. I traded in a guitar and had them order it for me.
__________________
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
2015 Cordoba Solista CD/IR
2015 Cordoba GK Pro
Kala Archtop Tenor Ukulele
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 PM
ewalling ewalling is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 18,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
FWIW-- Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are the same company.
Not for the customer, they aren't. If you order a guitar from MF and you want to return it, you cannot take it to your local GC; you have to package it up and ship it back to MF. You also can't ask your local GC to get hold of an instrument advertised on the MF website so you can try it. The two companies may share profits, but they do not share services.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:59 PM
m-thirty-great m-thirty-great is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
Can you give me some personal feed back on the LaPatrie collection and, which strings you used
I am sorry to report that I do not remember which strings I used on it. I had the guitar a long time and did not change the strings on it the last few years that I had it. The liked the playability, with the relatively low profile neck, and tone of the guitar, and it stayed in tune well. However, when in humid conditions, it would go out of tune quicker than my other guitars. The guitar had a deep sound, was not very bright, with pretty good volume. I don't have much experience with classical guitars, so my comments might not be of much value. Hope this helps, at least a little.
__________________
www.dreadedblues.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:42 PM
dkstott dkstott is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middletown, Connecticut
Posts: 661
Default

It's funny. I ordered my C10 via guitar center. There was a delay in the delivery. When it arrived at my house, the box had Musicians Friend all over it. They must be sharing some business transactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Not for the customer, they aren't. If you order a guitar from MF and you want to return it, you cannot take it to your local GC; you have to package it up and ship it back to MF. You also can't ask your local GC to get hold of an instrument advertised on the MF website so you can try it. The two companies may share profits, but they do not share services.
__________________
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
2015 Cordoba Solista CD/IR
2015 Cordoba GK Pro
Kala Archtop Tenor Ukulele
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Dafiryde Dafiryde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Trinidad And Tobago
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
I am sorry to report that I do not remember which strings I used on it. I had the guitar a long time and did not change the strings on it the last few years that I had it. The liked the playability, with the relatively low profile neck, and tone of the guitar, and it stayed in tune well. However, when in humid conditions, it would go out of tune quicker than my other guitars. The guitar had a deep sound, was not very bright, with pretty good volume. I don't have much experience with classical guitars, so my comments might not be of much value. Hope this helps, at least a little.
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated it
__________________
Dave
Trini2dbone
Gibson learn and master guitar
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=