The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Between them and the autoharp forum you should be able to get your questions answered.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Well if the question is "what's the failure point for each string" he won't...
Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
guitar344 is deeply interested in string tension, Steve, and has been for at least as long as I've been aware of his posts. Perhaps it's a fixation, but there's no harm in it, not to any of us, anyway...
Precisely my point, Wade (remember the "exploding cello" from a couple years ago - these "experiments" aren't exactly taking place under controlled lab conditions) - before he/someone else gets seriously injured...

Sorry, but in the sole interest of physical safety I'm squarely with Rudy, Blue, and Fazool on this one - and let the chips fall where they may...
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

During one of the many (many) threads about string tension and breakage (for guitars, violins, cellos, old strings, new strings, heavy strings, light strings, nylon strings, how to break them, how to measure breakage, etcetera) guitar344 confided to us once that he has an obsessive disorder and it manifests itself currently with string breakage (that was his admission not a criticism by any means).

So, I actually think (based upon his own revelation) that it is actually in his own best interest to encourage him to just "let it go" and remind him of what he shared with us and to not engage the obsession.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:16 PM

Thanks, Fazool - glad you recognized/understood the methodology; took my Bachelors and first Masters in Psychology so I'm not unfamiliar with the manifestations of the various obsessive disorders (there's a few dead giveaways in the sequence/phrasing of posts, as I'm sure you've noticed) and that's exactly what I was doing here, in addition to trying to keep all his 2000 body parts (according to the old Lever soap commercial) intact and functional...

Well done, Professor...
Old 01-03-2017, 09:54 PM

I havan't been testing strings lately. Been a while since I snapped a string. I keep my intruments in standard tuning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments