The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2002, 05:27 AM

Default n-Track digital recording software

I recently downloaded the demo version of this software at http://fasoft.com/ it's a pretty nice piece of software and the demo version is functional if you register it is fully functional but the demo gives you a good idea if it's for you, registration was pretty cheap $40-60 compared to the big buck programs like cakewalk etc. Let me know if anyone else has checked this out

Rick
Old 04-18-2002, 06:11 AM

I have the full 24 bit version. I also bought the additional plug ins for the upgraded compression and reverb and EQ.

I bought the N-track software in order to turn my PC into a multitrack recorder. I also bought a very nice 8x8 multitrack sound card with a break out box and a Mackie VLZ Pro mixer.

My overall impression with this set up was........ YUCK!!!! The software was constantly making mistakes, the autopunch was awful, no matter how much shielding I used there was still residual noise in the recording (a PC is a VERY noisy environment). My personal opinion was that the effects sounded pretty bad. Afetr six months of experimentation and hundreds of hours of use I gave up.

I know some others on the board have had great success with recording to their computer, but I was extremely disappointed with the results. I've heard really nice things about Pro Tools. Maybe if you decide to shell out the bucks for some decent software the PC may become a much better multitrack machine.

I'm sure there are others who have nothing buy glowing reports of N-track, but I can't say enough bad things about it. As far as I'm concerned it's a complete dud.

David
Old 04-18-2002, 06:30 AM

Thanks David that is the advise that I needed, I'm not very experienced in Recording so I'm glad that I could get some input on this. So are you saying stick to the stand-alone digital recorders rather than the PC?

Rick
Old 04-18-2002, 06:50 AM

I have also tried n-track studio. After several months I decided it wasn't what I needed. Someone recommended Cool Edit 2000, which is what I use now. It is much more user friendly, and frankly, I find that it suits all my needs (not producing CDs). Their are on-board effects which you can download as well, some free, some you pay for.

I have the low end version ($69?). The full function Cool Edit Pro is another $199. I ahve been tempted but so far have found almost everything I need in CE2000. Give it a shot when you are through playing around with n-track, then decide. Good luck!

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 04-18-2002, 07:00 AM

Ref Rick...
"Thanks David that is the advise that I needed, I'm not very experienced in Recording so I'm glad that I could get some input on this. So are you saying stick to the stand-alone digital recorders rather than the PC?"

Hey again Rick,
If you are always recording in the same place ie..combo music/computer room, I would recommend giving cool edit a try. You can layer 4 tracks, if that is what you want to be able to do, with the low end version. I often just record 1 track, add some effects, save it as a wav or mp3, and send it off to other musician friends.

I am quite sure that DavidM's needs are much more significant (he records professionally I think), and he is quite an expert in this area, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Again, good luck on your journey.

<><
Ron
Lonesome Picker (NC)
Old 04-18-2002, 09:42 AM

Rick:
We (Jeff Rearick and myself) use N-Track successfully. In this scenario Jeff is the musician and I'm the technician, sitting at the controls and pushing all the buttons.

It has many features that we never use. We run everything through a small rack mount system that contains an effects unit, compressor and EQ, then through a Mackie mixer, then through an M-Audio Delta 66 sound card, *then* into the N-Track software. So, we don't use any of the 'built in' features of the software such as the EQ or effects or punch in, etc.
Everything we record through it is 'one-shot-live' so many of the features it offers are just not needed.

The one thing that made the difference though was going with a pro-audio sound card that was made just for audio recording. Prior to that, using the original computers soundcard, everything sucked. The soundcard just couldn't handle it.....it stuttered, hung up, shut down, etc, you name it, it did it. Switching to the Delta soundcard made the difference.

Later....
The other Rick.....
Old 04-18-2002, 10:33 AM

I have n-track and like it very much. I don't record for anyone but myself, and I find it's a great aid to record myself and play it back. I feel it has helped my playing a lot. For the money it's a great practice tool.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:36 PM

I had a very high end sound card when I was using the N-track. It was a GadgetLabs Wave/496 sound card. Unfortunately GadgetLabs went out of business. They decided not to offer their product at retail. Instead, they sold through the internet only. I was very happy with the sound card, but I had to sell it to get enough money to buy new recording gear.

Personally I use a stand alone digital recorder rather than my PC. I did this because if I want to record and my wife wants to do something else on the computer we're stuck. Having a stand alone machine is better for marital harmony. Why didn't I just buy another PC? Well, I was still unhappy with the punch in / punch out feature when I was using my PC to record, and I thought the effects sounded pretty bad. I figured the stand alone "studio in a box" may be a bit more stable and sound a bit better than a PC.

I've heard really good things about the PCs available from Sweetwater that are optimized for music recording. Give them a try if you still want to use a PC as a multi track machine.

I am by no means fully versed in all recording media or expert enough to make global claims of superiority for a particular method. However, I've personally concluded that if you want to use a PC for recording you better make sure you have a fast and stable hard drive, an excellent sound card designed specifically for recording, ROCK SOLID stability with the OS and good software for recording. My PC only satisfied three of the four requirements.

Good Luck,

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification