The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-13-2002, 09:47 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Default What ? If not a Taylor...

Hypothetical question.....If Taylor ceased to exist tomorrow. What other guitar catches your fancy ? Collings...Ryan...Breedlove...C Fox...Goodall...Lowden....Martin....Olson....Winge rt...Traugot....???

Ron
Old 04-13-2002, 10:22 AM

Langejans or McPherson.

Bill B.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:31 AM

Cool

I would look closer at Larrivee's. They put out some seriously nice guitars for the money. I love my koa Parlour. Great little guitar!

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge

You don't get beautiful harmony if everyone sings the same note.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:52 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Marge

I've got a 6 and a 12 string Larrivee. Great sound !!!!! Bill B....Yeah I forgot about the Langejans. I'm not familiar with the McPherson.

Ron
Old 04-13-2002, 04:29 PM

While I would seriously consider a laravee I would probabaly go back to Martin. I still like their guitars. JW
Old 04-13-2002, 10:04 PM

Other than Taylors, there really isn't too much being offered by the larger factories that gets me very excited.

There are some 'small shops' producing great instruments such as Collings, Santa Cruz, Goodall, Froggy Bottom, Lowden etc.. but when i'm spending that kind of cash i'm looking for something unique and not exactly off the rack to speak.

This is where my love for the 'one man' shop handbuilder has arisen. Its just you, the luthier, raw materials, and a clean slate. Its a wonderful feeling and process to find someone you click with who is as excited as you are about the creation of the instrument, the waits can be long and sometimes the prices are steep but you get what you pay for.

I chose Marc Beneteau but others which are high on my list include: Linda Manzer, Kevin Ryan, Kim Walker, Kathy Wingert, Fabrizio Alberico, Jeff Traugott, Merrill Bros., and Mike Baranik.

Derek
Old 04-13-2002, 10:09 PM

If not Taylor, than most probably Guild, at least for a dred. In a GA or GC size, I would look at Larrivée, and I'm curious about the Yamaha handcrafted series.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:52 PM

There are actually a few (dare I say it? ) Martins I could happiness with, including the J-28 and two or three of their 00 and 000 models. Larrivee makes some that are very nice, but I haven't yet found one that knocks my socks off.

Among mid-size builders, there's Breedlove, Collings and Goodall. If I won the Lotto, I'd be very happy to order a custom guitar from one of the individual luthiers (heck, I'd consider that even knowing that Taylor's future is assured) but that's more of a pipe dream.
Old 04-14-2002, 03:24 AM

I often refer new guitarists to the Taylor line. The 414 got me back into playing the acoustic guitar. I'm a big fan of Taylor's guitars for their playability and tone. Having said that, in addition to my 355ce ltd. , I have a Collings D2-H for Bluegrass, a 1980 Martin HD-28 for the most beautiful played in tone, another Martin 000-28EC to cut through the mix, a Lowden F-32 for the finest of fingerpicking tones, and a Rainsong for travel and which has one of the best plugged in sounds of any guitar. All this Taylor vs. Martin and others debate reminds me of a lot of religious hysteria. I guarantee you that Bob Taylor, Chris Martin, Jean Larivee, and Bill Collings and the other big boys of the acoustic manufacturing circle, sit around together and enjoy each others company far more than you would imagine. These guys are great friends and they have great respect for each other's guitars. I, for one, enjoy the finest attributes of each of these great Luthiers. Dang, that rant felt good!
Regards,
Mike Gilles
Old 04-14-2002, 09:16 AM

If not Taylor, then probably Tacoma, Guild, Larrivee...and of course Martin if price is no concern, IMHO.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:39 AM

Cisco: Taylor? Cease to exist???? Parish the thought...I'll start up a collection first.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:06 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Bob

Well I meant like if there were a meltdown in the Taylor factory or.........Aliens from another planet.......

Ron
Old 04-15-2002, 04:35 AM

Or even worse move to mexico. JW
Old 04-15-2002, 08:17 PM

Smile

a toss-up....

Breedlove or a DaisyRock...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 04-15-2002, 10:50 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Breedlove or a DaisyRock...hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification