The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM

It's not the technique, it's the application of the technique. If it's a distraction, drawing attention to itself and not serving the music, then that, IMO, is a bad thing.

This, for example, sounds like music...and you can make music out of anything. All it requires is imagination...

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 03-21-2018, 02:20 PM

For me, tapping gets old quick, and a little goes a long way. HOWEVER, Carlos Vamos who lives in Amsterdam comes up with some brilliant beautiful tapping music. Check out his rendition of Hendrix's LITTLE WING in the video below....

Old 03-21-2018, 02:27 PM

saw a pianist the other week - obviously influenced by tapers ’n slappers.
He was sat at a grand piano, started playing - nice arpeggiated sequences then climbed inside the instrument and started rhythmically hitting the strings and ‘woodwork’ with his hands, knees, elbows,
Super intense, at one point I’m sure he head-butted the strings and bounced of only to bring the lid down on himself, like a real pro he kept going for another twenty minuets, trapped inside the instrument. As he crawled out, still creating a lot of sound we weren’t sure if the piece was finished and whither to applaud. Anyhow it was enjoyed enough that he got a standing ovation and calls for an encore - which he dully did.
What ever next - the brass section of an orchestra ?
Old 03-21-2018, 02:30 PM

Don't hate. Hate is a very negative emotion that will block the development of your chakras and will eventually mess up your chi. IMHO.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:39 PM

I fell in love with Andy Mckee seconds into the first time I heard him play Drifting.

When it comes to any style of playing any instrument I like what IMO is well done and dislike what IMO is poorly done, be it conventional or new.

I've yet to hear any piece for 'prepared-piano' that I appreciate.

New things often get people's knickers in a twist.
In 1913 Rite of Spring, Igor Stravinsky's orchestral concert work (actually score for a ballet) caused a riot opening night in Paris.
Today it is respected as a brilliant and ground-breaking masterpiece and is one of the most often performed crowd pleasers.

Paintings of the French Impressionists caused scandal and outrage in the 1860s.
Today they can sell in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Change is upsetting to certain people.

Last edited by Tico; 03-21-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Percussive guitar is not my thing, but some time ago (fivr/six years?) I went to an RMMMGA meeting, and saw Michael Woods and (I think it was) Newton Faulkner.

I chatted and listened to both playing, and I think they have developed their own style well.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:26 PM

I'm in the no string tapping camp, for sure. Don't care for the sound and always appears to be done more for "look at me" than to enhance the song in any way.
Yes, that is IMHO, of course!

with love,
scott
Old 03-21-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I fell in love with Andy Mckee seconds into the first time I heard him play Drifting.

When it comes to any style of playing any instrument I like what IMO is well done and dislike what IMO is poorly done, be it conventional or new.

I've yet to hear any piece for 'prepared-piano' that I appreciate.

New things often get people's knickers in a twist.
In 1913 Rite of Spring, Igor Stravinsky's orchestral concert work (actually score for a ballet) caused a riot opening night in Paris.
Today it is respected as a brilliant and ground-breaking masterpiece and is one of the most often performed crowd pleasers.

Paintings of the French Impressionists caused scandal and outrage in the 1860s.
Today they can sell in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Change is upsetting to certain people.
When the Shaggs released Philosophy of the World, critics said it was a really bad record.

They were right.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Here is John Martyn from 1973, hardly a new recording. But I have always thought that his right hand work to keep the back beat going was very tasty. This is not an easy technique the way John Martyn did this. I don't remember ever hearing anyone criticize John Martyn for this performance, but maybe I missed something...

- Glenn
Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM

As a rule, I don’t care for it. But when a players like L Juber or P Keaggy put it into play, it takes on a whole different musical meaning...for me anyway!
Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I'm in the no string tapping camp, for sure. Don't care for the sound and always appears to be done more for "look at me" than to enhance the song in any way.

with love,
scott
I can tell you with absolute certainty "look at me" has nothing to do with it.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Wanna hear a one of those sincere and jaw-dropping confessions? I don’t care for instrumental music at all. Even if its mind blowing acoustic guitar. I can appreciate it for one or two songs and after that I’m looking for the door. This also applies to tapping and (gasp) fingerstyle guitar. I enjoy hearing where a song goes lyrically.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I can tell you with absolute certainty "look at me" has nothing to do with it.
What, do you know the heart of every person who string taps? At least give it the old, IMHO.

A more important question might be, why does it bother you if some people don't like string tapping? Now, off the lawn.

I can put 3 cowboy chords together, btw.
scott

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-21-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post

with love,
scott
Somebody should've told Michael Hedges, he's probably one of the most celebrated posthumus guitar players of all time. In my opinion his music is so beautiful but I know many here can't stand him.

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-21-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: to be nicer
Old 03-21-2018, 09:50 PM

Don't threads like this just naturally kind of break that "be nice" rule? If you don't like it, don't listen to it and don't support it. To present a question like this on this forum is just bad form– the music of many artists and those who do support those artists is/are insulted.

The artists who would be listed as habitual "rule breakers" to the tap technique are too busy, well tapping, to be concerned with anybody's opinion anyway. They are out there building a fan base and amazing others with complex technique and making what would be otherwise rudimentary and bland instrumental music. Seems to me that those who do like the style are less likely going to come on here and bash cowboy chord strummers or those who only listen to acoustic music 3-7 decades old. In other words, the youngsters are setting a better example of being respectful. Now get off MY LAWN!

Yeah I know, I need thicker skin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write