The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-09-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I agree with this Scott. The trend seems to be moving away from Barn door preamps. (With some exceptions like Maton or Cole Clarks. Even Taylor moved away from Barn door preamps years ago.

I was thinking along those lines about barn doors since ditching an old Martin 15 with a useless Prefix years ago. But the Martin Aura Plus on the D18E Retro is fairly subtle and streamlined...and I fell for the charms!

Now my Maton is another kettle of fish, while streamlined as possible the AP5-Pro preamp system is one of the very best I have played - I will put a photo of the barn door up later as it has everything you want at your fingertips. It is really convenient right there in front of your eyes! But mine is a lower range model designed for gigging and plugging direct and I would think they will never change these...works, don’t mess with it, but their high end and Custom Shop models could get a new look.

Here is the photo, as promised, of the Maton AP5-Pro system - to save me taking a photo, in a link below from an older review from New Zealand! (might be the only other one they have sold!) If you look at it, you can see that at your fingertips is pretty well all you ever want except talent! Separate volume control for the piezo and the mic, plus a master volume slider, bass, treble (that work!) and the key for me - the sweepable mids control right there where you want it! While I do try to get permanent setting for the mids, it doesn't really work that way and I am always twiddling those 2 little knobs depending on the style of the song I am playing, I guess. The convenience of all that plugged in is worth the barn door PLUS you can wind her right up with a soundhole plug, which can be tricky on the Baggs controls mounted on the sides of guitars fitted with it. More than tricky really, you have to cut a hole in your soundhole plug...

https://nzmusician.co.nz/features/maton-ap5-pro-pickup/

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 03-09-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 PM

If it were me, I'd remove everything I don't need from the guitar and install what I want. As nice a piece of woodworking it may be, it is at heart a TOOL and I need that tool to be sharp and ergonomic.

(Of course, when I buy a guitar, I intend to keep it forever, so I consider it fair game for whatever I wish to do to it. I know there are many (!) who buy expensive guitars and are undecided about them - that approach is foreign to me. I see it like renting or leasing - you're not going to carve a hole in the guitar when it might not be yours a year from now.)

I may have commitment issues in other areas of my life, but not when it comes to guitars!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-09-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I agree with this Scott. The trend seems to be moving away from Barn door preamps. (With some exceptions like Maton or Cole Clarks. Even Taylor moved away from Barn door preamps years ago.
One thing I really like as well is that Martin is going the route of putting most of the controls inside the sound hole. The only visible part is the 9v compartment at the endpin jack. If they more companies would do this and maybe even find a way to get the battery inside the sound hole as well, I wouldn't be as hesitant to buy a guitar with built in pickup systems.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

I have two 000X1AE Martins that I gig with regularly. They came stock with Fishman electronics that I really don’t care for. So I pulled them out and installed JJB Prestige 330 pickups in both. They are awesome sounding stage guitars now. My advice is go for it. Leave the Fishman components in the guitar that can’t be cleanly removed and play that sucker!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I have two 000X1AE Martins that I gig with regularly. They came stock with Fishman electronics that I really don’t care for. So I pulled them out and installed JJB Prestige 330 pickups in both. They are awesome sounding stage guitars now. My advice is go for it. Leave the Fishman components in the guitar that can’t be cleanly removed and play that sucker!!
Curious, "Tone-wise", have you ever pitted "passive" pickups (JJB/KK) against more "traditional" dual-source techniques? -There seems to be several "camps" regarding superior (in general) amplified sound. (Small, fairly quit gigs. No more than 50 people)
Old 03-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Curious, "Tone-wise", have you ever pitted "passive" pickups (JJB/KK) against more "traditional" dual-source techniques? -There seems to be several "camps" regarding superior (in general) amplified sound. (Small, fairly quit gigs. No more than 50 people)

I haven’t compared them in the same guitars but I’ve played my JJB equipped guitars beside friends playing much more expensive Baggs systems. I think my guitars sounded better all the way around. Just a cleaner more acoustic tone.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-10-2018, 11:11 PM

Thanks for input! The simplicity of the KK is very attractive to me for many reasons. Sometimes I wonder if/how much I am missing by NOT going dual-source. "Just plug in the 1/4' cable (no battery to fuss with) into a good DI/PreAmp box and away you go!...
Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 AM

I'll come at this the other way... I really do not understand why someone would buy a 'Performer' guitar with a built in PU system and then decide to rip it all out. Sounds kinda backwards to me.

Anyway, I guess ya can if ya wanna.

I have a 20yo custom 000, so.. close to an OM, that after 18 years I relented and put in apickup..went K&K for minimal invasiveness. It sounds great and would probably be fine in your stated relatively quiet settings. You can also add a mic etc later if you choose. It's not so great in tight, high sound pressure stage situations, even with a feedback buster.

I also have a Maton 808c Nashville w' the AP5Pro system. This is absolutely brilliant for most somewhat noisy gigging environments. Easily tweakable and just a great live performance guitar. I was recently at the Tamworth Country Music Festival and every guy, girl and their dog had one...almost.

Horses for courses. I would never put an intrusive pickup in my Custom 000, but I bought the Maton for gigging. They is what they is.

Kris
Old 03-12-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post
I'll come at this the other way... I really do not understand why someone would buy a 'Performer' guitar with a built in PU system and then decide to rip it all out. Sounds kinda backwards to me.

Anyway, I guess ya can if ya wanna.

I have a 20yo custom 000, so.. close to an OM, that after 18 years I relented and put in apickup..went K&K for minimal invasiveness. It sounds great and would probably be fine in your stated relatively quiet settings. You can also add a mic etc later if you choose. It's not so great in tight, high sound pressure stage situations, even with a feedback buster.

I also have a Maton 808c Nashville w' the AP5Pro system. This is absolutely brilliant for most somewhat noisy gigging environments. Easily tweakable and just a great live performance guitar. I was recently at the Tamworth Country Music Festival and every guy, girl and their dog had one...almost.

Horses for courses. I would never put an intrusive pickup in my Custom 000, but I bought the Maton for gigging. They is what they is.

Kris

That’s funny hearing about all the 808s at Tamworth - thanks, I was wondering if I got the good one! I can imagine it there though....my SRS808 is just a low to medium range Maton and not a lot of money in the scheme of things here, but it is a pretty flawless build, great for fingerpicking with the cedar top and the pickup, well! I wouldn’t want a used one if they were busking in the sun, which they do there a lot.

BluesKing777.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:22 AM

That’s funny hearing about all the 808s at Tamworth - thanks, I was wondering if I got the good one! I can imagine it there though....my SRS808 is just a low to medium range Maton and not a lot of money in the scheme of things here, but it is a pretty flawless build, great for fingerpicking with the cedar top and the pickup, well! I wouldn’t want a used one if they were busking in the sun, which they do there a lot.

BluesKing777. ((Quote))

Hi BK, the SRS are I believe the first attempt by Maton to go to a different level in the production. The main thing I feel and this is echoed by several friends, is that if you go a Maton.. get the Matt/Satin finish.. not the gloss. They breathe while the gloss is suffering mild emphysema. Harsh perhaps, but....

Oh and I painted my new swisho black The Maton Case... cream, just to alleviate some heat where I might need to have it exposed. A few friends call it the paddlepop... Aussieism, sorry for those that might not get it.
(Paddlepop... creamy ice cream treat on a stick. I guess most places have an equivalent)

Kris
Old 03-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
I also agree with leaving the existing OEM equipment in the guitar and installing the K&K or JJB pickup system. You can clip the wires going to the existing endpin and reuse the existing endpin hole for the new pickup system. Make sure to leave enough wire so that the OEM endpin can be reconnected when you sell the guitar. This way the new owner has the choice of reconnecting the OEM system or continuing to use the K&K or JJB that you installed.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisls View Post

BluesKing777. ((Quote))

Hi BK, the SRS are I believe the first attempt by Maton to go to a different level in the production. The main thing I feel and this is echoed by several friends, is that if you go a Maton.. get the Matt/Satin finish.. not the gloss. They breathe while the gloss is suffering mild emphysema. Harsh perhaps, but....

Oh and I painted my new swisho black The Maton Case... cream, just to alleviate some heat where I might need to have it exposed. A few friends call it the paddlepop... Aussieism, sorry for those that might not get it.
(Paddlepop... creamy ice cream treat on a stick. I guess most places have an equivalent)

Kris

Thanks Kris.

I have the cedar over blackwood 808, love it acoustically AND electrically so if I got another 808, I think I would go the TE or the Fix to try the Queensland maple over sitka. A good guess would probably be that they would sound almost identical plugged in? I played one at a shop, very nice but I thought to get a used one with the Hiscox Maton case....then share it with my current one!

I think the new Maton Case has disappeared? Gone from the shelves everywhere! Do you like it?

And one more question.....how would you compare the K&K to the Maton AP5Pro? I am waiting for one (K&K) to be installed in a guitar..as we type....

BluesKing777.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Thanks Kris.

I have the cedar over blackwood 808, love it acoustically AND electrically so if I got another 808, I think I would go the TE or the Fix to try the Queensland maple over sitka. A good guess would probably be that they would sound almost identical plugged in? I played one at a shop, very nice but I thought to get a used one with the Hiscox Maton case....then share it with my current one!

I think the new Maton Case has disappeared? Gone from the shelves everywhere! Do you like it?

And one more question.....how would you compare the K&K to the Maton AP5Pro? I am waiting for one (K&K) to be installed in a guitar..as we type....

BluesKing777.
First.. apologies to the OP for a slight tangent on the post.

The Maton Case is good tough and relatively light. Slightly bulky in the lower bought as it is a Multi fit with the 'innards' to fit the model I think. Softer outer 'plastic' shell which is more scratchable than say a Hiscox. Mines flown a couple of times.. yes in the hold.. and survived with nothing worse than a few scratches in the paint. Disappeared? Dunno, it is available on the top line like Messiah and TE, the rest like mine you pay an upgrade. Hiscox Maton cases are no longer available unless you find stock of the higher models that have them. Or secondhand.

K&K vs AP5 Pro.. hmm... basic sound is similar and both very good with of course the K&K being so minimal in change to a guitar. Can EQ beautifully to sound great in most situations. I don't buy into the 'impedance' issue, have run mine straight in and through a PZ Deluxe.

The AP5 Pro adds that 'extra' with the preamp and the mic. The Mic adds that air and space that just makes it sound great. A more 'multi fit' option for gigging situations.

Oh I have played an SRS and liked it better than the 70th Anniversary model. I loved a Michael Fix I tried one time.. almost bought one. Have not tried a TE.. or a Messiah recently.

Kris
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 PM

Thanks Kris.

Yes, apologies to the OP from me too for diverging.

Though I think it is relevant in a way because the best pickup sound I have currently is the Maton AP5-Pro system closely followed by the Martin D18E Retro with Aura + system that I can’t imagine pulling out, and I said something like that.

It will be interesting when I get my guitar back with the K&K so I can see/hear for myself. I also have Tonedexter to run it through. That is great for my guitars with undersaddles, great sounds but if the phone rang and I was asked to jump up and play at......, the Maton plugged straight in is way easy... just about everything there in your face.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification