The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Stixx, Request for Cyber Twin info

Stixx,
I was hoping you may be able to help me out. I too have a Cyber Twin and I just bought a Taylor CS-LTD with ES a few weeks ago. I read some of your earlier posts where you made reference to some settings you used for a nice acoustic tone for your maple ES on the Cyber Twin. I have not been adventurous with the Cyber Twin, so I was hoping you could share your findings, that I could try them out myself.

Thanks,
Paul
Taylor '13 Custom 12 Fret Hog GC
PRS P22
Fender MIM Strat
Old 09-22-2003, 09:25 PM

Sorry , I just now saw this , The Cyber twin is very usefull but it has no tweeter and is therefore limited . While I was waiting on finding an Ultrasound I did in fact get some decent settings using a blackface model , scooping out the mids cleaning it up as much as possible (lowest gain higher volumn after the preamp section and then I tweaked it with compression and delays very subtle and messed with the bass mid trebs till I got it sounding pretty transparent. It really is simpler than it sounds . Keep it as dry as possible untill you get it sounding sort of transparent especially the mids work against you . The blackface has three levels I used the lowest, then pretty much lost the mids cranked in a tad of bass and went up a tick past midnight on the treble . You will think it raw sounding at first until you dial in the compression. AS yo know compression adds sustain and NOISE if you use too much so use as little as possible until you get it sounding transparent . The key is balance between getting as much mid sounding freq out and compressing the treb and bass so it doesn't get boomy and then you will probably have to dial in a little bit of gate to keep this fizz down but if you go easy with the compression you should not have to use much gate maybe the first setting will cut it . too much gate and there goes the sustain you just gained with the compressor. Also the lower gain settings require a bit of fiddlin. The real hot set up is to put a converter on the XLr end of your taylor cord (not to be convused with transformer just an adaptor ) to make it liek a regular phone jack again. Then plug it in and adjust the left volume on 10 and the right one to suit . YOu can start with the above an tweak to taste , little bit more salt maybe whatever you need.

Hope this helps. I just did this by memory so check out the old thread I may have had a more detailed one in the thread to HOS on amps.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 09-23-2003, 06:49 AM

Stixx,
Thank you for your input. I will give this a try tonight. I also own a Roland Cube 60 keyboard amp that is pretty basic but sounds not too bad.
Paul
Taylor '13 Custom 12 Fret Hog GC
PRS P22
Fender MIM Strat
Old 09-23-2003, 11:23 AM

The Roland cube may very well give you good result by all means give it a try . Use the same principles mentioned above and let us know what you find. Also If you get a good result you should post it in Hos ' amp thread to share with him .

I am tweaking my new old Ultrasound duo for a wedding gig I have to in October and finding some limitations but it is a sweet sounding little rig. I have been experimenting with using the Art preamp I use on my tascam recorder to put the Es XLR into and then put that into the amp module . I have this boss repeater pedal that plays what ever you play into it back for you and you can play along then press on of the pedals and it loops what you played as long as you want so you can add your leads in live. Pretty cool tool.

Then I send all that to the Ultrasound and play with my new ""buddiy"" he don't drink smoke or get to smellin' funny and I played with it for hours and didn't even have to buy him a beer.
LOL 'Course he aint much for conversation he heh

later

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification