The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM

Default Would the shop at CME do me a nice new pickguard?

Enroute to new home in Florida, we'll be in Chicagoland for a few weeks, staying way out in the northwest in McHenry county, but visiting down in the city regularly. Our son and his family live not to far from CME.

I want a new pickguard on the old D18. The new one Brian Kimsey put on is peeling up on three edges and Brian has refunded me for that work. I don't want to do the work myself, but it sure looks easy when I watch the StewMac video.

We have visited CME and I met their shop guys, but we did not discuss any Martin work. I was there to see if some truss rod adjustment could improve my neck relief in my Yamaha LS-TA. It did. I had never done a truss rod twist.

So can I count on CME for doing something as simple as a pickguard? And do I have to go all the way in to the city for this? Is there someone out in the far NW suburbs that I could go to for this?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-21-2018, 01:36 PM

The CME repair shop can definitely handle a pick guard removal and re-installation.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

If you're in the NW burbs, you won't be far from Marc Babin in Hampshire, IL (http://www.babinguitars.com/). Marc is an excellent guitar repair tech, and I'm sure he could help you out.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
If you're in the NW burbs, you won't be far from Marc Babin in Hampshire, IL (http://www.babinguitars.com/). Marc is an excellent guitar repair tech, and I'm sure he could help you out.
Perfect! I just emailed Marc. Our McHenry county place is a short drive from his shop.

Naples, FL

Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Perfect! I just emailed Marc. Our McHenry county place is a short drive from his shop.
Excellent! Glad to help.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Gene, where in Florida are you moving? Just curious...

Julie
Former Denver and Chicago resident, now in SW FL
Old 03-21-2018, 05:26 PM

have a lot of fun

Last edited by thingthatisdone; 03-21-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM

It seems you already have started the process with Mr. Babin. Good choice. I have used his services a couple of times and both times, I've been very pleased with the results. Despite the 3hr drive to drop off and pick up, he is now the ONLY person who I will send my guitars to for service. Stand-up guy and a great craftsman.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:12 PM

Mr Babin's a little cranky, saying he'll need a ten to fourteen day window in which to do this, which won't do for my needs. Illinois is a stopover on our way to Naples, FL.

While I can understand his position, this being a squeeze-in job, it doesn't look that big a deal, particularly when I watch the Stew-Mac video of one being done, . . .

. . . including the overnight cure for the glue in the crack fill, which mine does not need, and the CA glue seal for the uncoated bare spruce under the guard, which I do not believe mine has. This instrument has had two pickguard jobs since it was new. This'll be the fourth.

I'll speak with him Thursday to see what might be done. And before that, I will ask Bryan Kimsey, who put on the one that is there now and curling up on three edges, whether there is sealer over the spruce.

Naples, FL

Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion