The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-20-2002, 09:13 PM

Default Newb Setup.

Okay, so I'm going through all this major planning and I'm not much of a "technophobe", as people so fondly (and not so fondly) refer to it is. Hehe. Here's what I kind of laid down, and I'm still shaky on the pickups, preamps, and amp itself. The amp is probably the most trouble, since I need vocal/mic input and for the acoustic itself.

iBeam active pickup.
Para Acoustic D.I.
Shure SM58 Mic.
Fender Acoustasonic SFX.

What should I do, outside of testing, since I have limited testing time? *Scrunches brow in frustration*
Old 04-20-2002, 09:57 PM

Ummm.... I'd include some kind of guitar in your list, a Taylor maybe?

There are too many variables (available funds, available equipment, time before needed, etc.) for me to make a proper diagnosis, but I would agree that the Fender is the weak spot here. A quick search will bring up many opinions about acoustic amps, and it seems to me that few would put the Acoustasonic at the top of the list. Many like the California Blond or the Carvin, or the Marshall or Trace Elliott or..... I use a Roland KC500 keyboard amp and am perfectly happy with it and my AG Stomp.

I'd probably upgrade the SM58 a bit as well, at least to a Beta58.

Happy hunting!

cotten
Old 04-20-2002, 10:19 PM

lol yes yes, a Taylor 414 is what I'm leaning on...and the funds are coming/pretty much there. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I would submit that there are much better amps for less money than the SFX...

The Carvin AG100D is great, has 3 channels, digital effects, mic input, line out...

I have heard good things on this board about Ultrasound...though I cant tell you about any features they have.

With the 650 that the SFX would probably cost, I would consider the California Blonde SWR at that price range, but the other two would be below the 500 dollar mark...

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 04-22-2002, 10:24 AM

The SWR California Blonde is fabulous! I bought one last year and it's been loving me since. It's basicly a high quality PA for the singer songwriter. It's got either 2 1/4 inch line outs or 1 XLR line out to the board. It pumps out a LOT of sound. Go try one for yourself and see if you fall in love. The price tag is pretty hefty, I think like $850, but the sound is amazing! The Strawberry Blonde is also great, I got that one first, then traded it in for the Cali. It'll be yourt cheaper alternative to a sweet tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification