The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2003, 07:27 PM

Default Dean Markley Soundhole Pickup

Hey-

I am borrowing a Dean Markley Soundhole Pickup from somebody I know. I was using it tonight on my pa system with my brother drumming. After a bit I plugged it into my Marshall amp. I was playing and it didn't sound as nice as on the PA (understandable) I messed around with the settings on my amp and tried distortion. It sounded really thick and pretty nice to my ears. I played some zeppelin riffs and had alot of fun.

Anyways...Is this bad for the amp? On either clean or distortion? I never turned the amp past 1/4 total volume (it is an AVT 275 2x12 valvestate)

Also do soundhole pickups not feedback as much? I had our pa system really loud and walked right up to it and it didn't feedback. I hear people having problems with this and I didn't....even in our small basement with our loud pa...

Thanks alot
Old 09-22-2003, 12:25 AM

I have a Dean Markley Pro Mag that I bought several years ago, and it's fairly clean but very electric sounding. Not bad, all things considered, but strictly backup, not a main pickup.

I don't know that using the distortion channel in your amp will hurt anything, because if it's in the amp, then it's made to be used, and the pickup doesn't enter into it. Too much volume might damage something, but that would be the case regardless of whether you had that channel turned on.

I don't think magnetic pickups ever feed back. Soundboard transducers and even undersaddle pickups can feed back under some circumstances, but they work under a different principle than the mags.

Last edited by cpmusic; 09-22-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:16 AM

Naw..you wont hurt your amp....

I used one of those Dean Markley pickups for the longest time...I think I bought it new in 1983, and it still works today. They actually worky pretty darn well, considering their portability. And as the last post eluded to, yeah, they're a bit "electric" sounding...but not too bad.

Have fun with it...works good..last long time

Bob C.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:17 PM

Thanks for your help...now I want to buy a pickup of my own! (although maybe not a soundhole pickup...)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification