The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-20-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Bone saddle questions...

I just purchased a taylor 714ce about a month ago and am still extremely excited with it. I've been reading about a lot of people buying bone saddles to replace the factory saddle. What are the pros/cons to doing this? What do they cost? Where can i get one? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:45 AM

Wannabe, you can get them at FQMS for under $10, though it would need some final shaping if your up to the challenge (it's really not that hard). You can look up Frank Ford's web site to see the instructions to get an idea of what materials you would need. The saddle from FQMS is pre-compensated and reduces the work significantly. Otherwise if you feel like that to much work, take it to a luthier. I think 50-60 dollars would take care of it. In all I find the effort worth while, to me it sounds better.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:22 PM

I had a bone saddle & nut installed on an old dreadnaught that I have.

IMO, it did make some improvement in the sound - a little "cleaner" maybe, but not a major difference by any means.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:36 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-20-2003, 03:36 PM

I have replaced all the saddles on my acoustics with bone. The 714 has (IMO) more separation, sustain and just better tone with the bone saddle.
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 09-20-2003, 04:33 PM

Well, i read that webpage about how to make a bone saddle... which seems really helpful. I would try it out if i were at home and had the available tools at hand... but i'm in a college dorm, so i don't really have access to a hacksaw and sandpaper and it would be just as easy for me to have a luthier do it (and the pricing seems fair). Should i also consider getting a bone nut, as well? Finally, does anyone know of any good luthiers in/around the gainesville, florida area that you trust?
Old 09-20-2003, 08:49 PM

I know a couple of good shops in Tallahassee but I'm not sure a Gator will be welcome!
Seriously, Guitar Factory in Orlando does great work but they are a little slow. Try Mike Boulware at Pro Frets in Gainesville. IMO the bone nut will help somewhat but I'd just go for the bone saddle. I've boned all my guitars. You won't be sorry. Roman is right!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:54 PM

Had a bone nut and saddle installed by a local luthier and clarity, tone and sustain all had marked improvement. Cost me about $45.00 so it was WELL worth it.

2002 Taylor 810e
1996 Flatiron Festival F
1906 Friedman Bros. fiddle
Yamaha AW16G
Old 09-20-2003, 09:01 PM

Default Boning a 614

I picked up a bone saddle from fqms. All I needed was a pencil and some sandpaper to get it into shape. It made a subtle but discernable difference. Not that the 614 was ever mushy but it cleaned and tightened the sound.

On my first attempt, tho, I left the saddle a bit thick, so it didn't bottom out in the bridge. Made a hellacious cracking sound in the PA when I did my usual aggressive right-hand muting (euphemism for beating the top of the guitar).

IMO the saddle shouldn't be so tight that you need a tool to remove it.

RfM
Parker P8EN
Taylor Baby-M
But who's counting...
Old 09-21-2003, 09:59 AM

I put an FQMS bone saddle on my 814ce yesterday and it seemed to work out well. Total time was probably about an hour and a half including restringing. The bone is relatively easy to sand with 150 grit paper, but you need to sand on a very level surface to keep the bottom of the saddle straight and even. I'm not entirely sure the radius of the FQMS saddle is identical to a Taylor Tusq saddle, and I was a little concerned that the base string end was a little too high, but the string heights at the 12th fret for both E strings were right at Taylor specs. Soundwise, I'm not really sure I could tell much of a difference, but the old saddle had deep grooves so it was worth replacing. Looking at the Taylor instructions for replacing their own saddles it appears that some sanding is required even for Tusq, so there may not be that much extra work for bone.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 09-21-2003, 12:40 PM

I have found that the FQMS bone blanks make very good starting points but none that I've received have been 'drop-in-ready'. Most of the basic finishing touches though can be done with very simple hand tools and supplies. Nail files, sandpaper, emory cloth, etc, just depending on how 'finished' you want it to look.

The photo below is of my TaylorStock 812 during a final test fitting and prior to restringing.....

Later...
Rick
Old 09-21-2003, 11:50 PM

I had one put in my 712ce. I noticed more bass and a more defined sound. It made a big difference in the sound of my little 712. Others will tell you that the bone made a bit of difference but not much difference overall. I can only guess the difference it do to the bone material itself.
Midnight Shadow
Old 09-22-2003, 08:22 AM

Default Bone? It's over-rated

In my experience, replacing tusq with bone only makes sense if you need to replace the tusq (wear and tear) or adjust its height (lowering the action). The sound difference is so negligible -- and it's a messy job, with some opportunities for damaging the finish, inhaling bone dust, etc.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:34 AM

I like those photos Rick.

You do nice work ! I really like how you smoothed your saddle out and gave it such a "polished" finish !

I've recently started using fossilized ivory in place of bone and its beautiful ! I've got some blanks with borwn streaks through it, looks really nice !

Regards,
DeadHead

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification