The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2002, 06:00 PM

Default acoustic pickups

what's the best acoustic guitar pickup i can get for under 100 dollars?

also, i've heard of one that you can simply stick inside the guitar under the bridge, has anyone use this or know if it sounds good.

thanks,
-andrew
Old 09-19-2002, 07:05 PM

I still like th fishman matrix but there are plenty more. But when installing the saddle must be shaved to compensate for the extra hight. Sounds great and you can have one install fairly cheap or if you have a little mecahical skills it can be a do-it-yourself job. JW
Old 09-19-2002, 11:48 PM

I am using a K&K Pure Western that was right under 100 bones. It is a Soundboard Transducer and sticks under your bridge. It is a passive pickup with the most output I have ever heard from a passive model. Many times I will plug straight in other times I use it in conjunction with a Baggs PADI. If you are looking for a bright sound dont look here...this pickup is very warm and natural sounding...awesome for fingerpicking and strumming. I havent had many problems with feedback unless it is excessively noisy on stage. All in all this is a great pup...but I do intend to look into the new Taylor designed pup when they come out.

Any questions, let me know.

-Matt
Old 09-20-2002, 10:37 AM

I just put a Highlander IP2 in my son's Larrivee 12 string and it sounds fantastic through his acoustisonic 30. Very hot signal. The pickup alone was $130 but my guitar tech (who I trust) said this the best. I now also have the option of adding a soundhole mic later.
Larrivee OMV-50
Larrivee LJ05-12,
Seagull s6,
Dauphin 30,
Godin Kingpin
Old 09-20-2002, 11:29 AM

I've heard good things about the Highlander. Did you do the install yourself?

It looked to me like the preamp/strapjack actually threaded into the wood of the guitar, so it would require fairly decent woodworking skills, and some special tool to tap threads into the wood of the end pin hole. I guess the reward for going to the trouble is a strapjack that won't work itself loose.
-Kent
Old 09-20-2002, 02:27 PM

has anyone heard or used a LR. baggs i-beam?
Old 09-20-2002, 03:42 PM

I have I-Beam's in an 810-B and a Goodall, and I'm very happy with them both. They're not pickups for the faint of heart, though, because they will want to feed back if there's a speaker anywhere nearby, and they're really voiced for direct-in to a mixer/PA/recorder rather than playing through a stand-alone amp.

Expect to need a Para-DI with it; they will sound good through an acoustic amp if it can be set "flat" such that the amp doesn't add it's own color to the sound.

I ended up adding an electronic feedback suppressor in the signal path for my Goodall. Once said and done, it sounds amazing.

-Kent
Old 09-20-2002, 03:55 PM

B-band products produce the best natural sound, with less trouble...in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:25 AM
mstorie

B-Band A-1 preamp and AST 1470 pickup.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:00 AM

Quote:
B-Band A-1 preamp and AST 1470 pickup.
That's what I have...works great.

The only time this won't work is when you are in a full band, loud concert environment. The feedback may become an issue, but a PADI can solve that. Also, your ability to cut through the mix is limited with just the AST, you may then want to blend in an UST.

Other than that, it's simplicity and great sound at it's best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification