The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-27-2017, 11:28 AM

Question Sold ALL Acoustic Guitars... NOW what?

Hello All My CF Friends,

Well here I am and have cleared the entire stable of acoustic guitars (except my trusty 52 reissue Fender Tele that has aged with me over the years). Now what?

Having made the CF journey with many of you over the years I just can not bring myself to purchase a wood guitar no matter how the siren calls to me every time I am in my local guitar store. Even the low cost Martin Dred Jr and Taylor GSMini are amazing sounding and at such a reasonable cost...

My better half has said I have gone to far but once you start the selling process it is so hard to stop and probably should have kept one just to keep my fingers happy.

I have narrowed down to two types of guitars...
1. full size... really loved the JM1000 but to flashy with all the appointments of sharks and rosette. Love the look and feel of the all black hybrid series and hope we see this look and feel in the jumbo some day.

2. Travel guitar .. again want something low key and had the P12 for some time but for some reason never took to the sound but loved the look and the cut away. IMHO... it is the nicest of the cutaways in Rainsong line up aesthetically.

One thought is perhaps I should go all in on eKoa with the el Capitan and savoy. that is some big money and really have to think through it. Had the opportunity to visit the"nest" while in San Fran and Joe was very gracious in spending time with and playing both the el Capitan and savoy. Pretty amazing guitars.

I find myself pining for something that is more traditional but also want something cutting edge as well.

Other thoughts are welcome... perhaps split the difference with an emerald and a dred from CA.

I am a little at a loss now and perhaps I pick up a used GSMini till I sort things out and wait for winter NAMM to see what's new....

Thanks for listening and welcome your thoughts....
Old 10-27-2017, 11:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:18 PM

Since you have the Fender Tele, you might be fine with the slightly larger nut on the GS mini. It's not for me as I like at least a 1.75 inch nut for my overly clumsy fingers and would go for a Cargo if I had to choose between the two all else equal. Happy hunting.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Wow F60, that’s a pretty radical approach. I don’t know how financially free you are to buy and sell and take the “rental” hits, but I assume you now have a wad of cash to play with. Part of the fun is in the learning and experimentation, so if I was in your position with no acoustics, I’d just follow my instincts. Right now, personally that would lead me to an X20 or a CH-OM for a full-size, and a Savoy for a small guitar. Good luck with your journey. In a way, you’re kind of in an enviable position.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Wow F60, that’s a pretty radical approach. I don’t know how financially free you are to buy and sell and take the “rental” hits, but I assume you now have a wad of cash to play with. Part of the fun is in the learning and experimentation, so if I was in your position with no acoustics, I’d just follow my instincts. Right now, personally that would lead me to an X20 or a CH-OM for a full-size, and a Savoy for a small guitar. Good luck with your journey. In a way, you’re kind of in an enviable position.
All I can say at this time is +1 on above. Just saying'.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

I'd say get a used mini and then wait till namm. I asked Joe on the phone if he was coming out with new Ekoa models, he said "no comment".
Old 10-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I'd say get a used mini and then wait till namm. I asked Joe on the phone if he was coming out with new Ekoa models, he said "no comment".
I suppose waiting for winter NAMM (when/where is it being held?) is a good idea especially if one can actually go, but my understanding is that the average Joe can’t get in. We have to live vicariously through Kramster! . Depending on how far-off NAMM is and the availability of new models beyond what we already know, getting a GS Mini may suffice. I’m a fairly patient guy when it comes to guitars, so a Tele would keep me happy enough for a while.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I suppose waiting for winter NAMM (when/where is it being held?) is a good idea especially if one can actually go, but my understanding is that the average Joe can’t get in. We have to live vicariously through Kramster! . Depending on how far-off NAMM is and the availability of new models beyond what we already know, getting a GS Mini may suffice. I’m a fairly patient guy when it comes to guitars, so a Tele would keep me happy enough for a while.

Jan 25-28 aneheim.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Guest 928

Given that you have room in the stable, you might as well go for two at a time. This way you can make needed comparisons. And then, you can sell the lesser of the two and try yet another for comparison. This approach gets you back to guitar play and opens you up to new sights and sounds.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

I was seriously considering this as well. I recently purchased an Emerald X7 monthly series custom and already have an X20 custom on order due in soon. My plan was to A/B/C the three of them (the third being my Santa Cruz 1929 00) and if I liked the two CF's better I would sell off the SC. But then I saw what would be a dream custom Martin for me so I bought that and sold the SC to finance it.

So now once the X20 get's here I'll have to decide what stays and what goes. I was seriously looking forward to not having to deal with humidification and the inevitible bi-annual wood guitar tweaking but this new Martin might throw a wrench into things! If I like it as much as I think I will, the X7 might end up drawing the short straw and go up for sale. So keep an eye out on the classifieds in the coming months!!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 PM

Assuming I had sold a bunch of guitars and wanted to then re-purchase two (one small one large)

I would probably go for the new eKoa Savoy for the small one.

Large would be either the Rainsong CH-WS, or an Emerald X-20.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 PM

Were I in your shoes, I could happily buy (re-buy) a CH-OM1100NS and have that be my one and only acoustic guitar.

Small enough to travel well (as I travel) and large enough to have amazing rich, full, well-balanced tone. Plays perfectly. Weighs practically nothing. What an amazing guitar. And... priced VERY nicely.

I remain giddy and so impressed with my CH-OM1100NS and with it... I could live without my other acoustics, not that I especially want to. But for me, this one achieves such a high point, in so many ways, and really doesn't involve any compromises. That's impressive.

Last edited by DHart; 10-27-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

You might add the CA GX to the list if a smooth neck join, a comfortable molded body, and a fast-playing C-shaped neck (get the thin neck if you want an acoustic to match your Tele) matters.

The CA tone is mellow (but can be changed with different picks and strings).

Might make a nice compliment to a Savoy (I hope so!... got one comin' to round out my GX, X10N, and Savoy "trilogy").
Old 10-28-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
you might as well go for two at a time.
That’s just crazy talk right there.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Sold ALL Acoustic Guitars... NOW what?

I love thinking about how to spend other people's money I just got a shorty (same as Rainsong ch-om) delivered to my house yesterday. Playing it side by side with the savoy, the savoy wins hands down. I think the sound of Ekoa has won me over. To me the shorty/ch-om sounds more thin, not as rich as the savoy. It just sounds like carbon. The RS doesn't sound bad at all. It sounds amazing for a carbon fiber guitar but I will be sending it back and either waiting for namm or getting a blackbird farallon.
Fixedgear60, you said you wanted something more traditional but also cutting edge. That is what blackbird is doing with Ekoa. If the El Capitan was shorter scale I would have one along with my savoy.

Last edited by bry; 10-28-2017 at 08:12 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber