The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I also just revisited some Savoy videos, so I understand.

Boy, I have GAS bad...even selling my new coco Chimaera is percolating in my mind. Geezus!
You sure do. And in your case, I don't think you're going to be able to rest at night until you buy a Savoy. I think you need to just do it so you can get over this serious bout of GAS.

I do hope that it pleases you every bit as much as you're hoping that it will. . Remember, the Savoy is a very small guitar. Don't expect big sound from it, nor rich, deep bass. And, don't let that Taylor go just yet!
Old 11-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
You sure do. And in your case, I don't think you're going to be able to rest at night until you buy a Savoy. I think you need to just do it so you can get over this serious bout of GAS.

I do hope that it pleases you every bit as much as you're hoping that it will. . Remember, the Savoy is a very small guitar. Don't expect big sound from it, nor rich, deep bass. And, don't let that Taylor go just yet!
My Taylor is the only one that won’t go anywhere. I know the Savoy is a small guitar which is why I’m wanting one...an intimate Cargo-type guitar but with better, clearer tone.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
My Taylor is the only one that won’t go anywhere. I know the Savoy is a small guitar which is why I’m wanting one...an intimate Cargo-type guitar but with better, clearer tone.
I see. It sounds like you understand well what to expect and will probably be happy with the purchase!

I just feel your agonizing GAS pains in every post that you make and hope that you can get some relief soon! Yours is a very serious case!
Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I see. It sounds like you understand well what to expect and will probably be happy with the purchase!

I just feel your agonizing GAS pains in every post that you make and hope that you can get some relief soon! Yours is a very serious case!
Haha, yep!
Old 11-12-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Love it, DH..
Old 11-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Savoy owners: Have any of you travelled by air with your Savoy/gigbag? Any issues as overhead carry-on?

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-12-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Guest 928

Acoustcado;

Does it fly? You are just wasting time now. Get on a plane, head for Ted's & scratch that itch.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Cant imagine it being a problem. Lots of guitars are on planes to and from NAMM every year... I brought my X-20 back from there a couple years ago when Alistair had one to show to folks. He knew I wanted one... was I played?
Anyway, Savoy is smaller of course.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-13-2017, 12:34 AM

Tommy,

You would love the Savoy. I had a 2014 Taylor 814CE. I like my Collings guitars much better, but the 814 was a nice guitar. The Collings guitars are significantly more expensive than the Savoy. One of my Collings cost 4 times as much. I like the sound of the Collings guitars more than the sound of the Savoy, but there is a lot of similarity. The Savoy is about 90% of the way to a Collings and sounds about as good to me as the Taylor, but closer in sound to the Collings and different than the Taylor. Acoustically, I would choose the sound of the Savoy over the 814 for most music, but Taylors are the choice of many live performers, so people seem to really like their amplified sound. I haven't heard my Savoy amplified because it presently doesn't have pickups. I'm leaning toward K&Ks (or JJBs) played through a Tonedexter into an AER 60, but I need to get a Tonedexter first. If not for the cost and the need for on-board battery power (or phantom power), I would probably opt for the Trance Amulet pickups. I do like the passive nature of the K&Ks.

Sell something and get a Savoy. It is a very comfortable guitar to play and sounds great. The guitar you will like the most is the one that you will always reach for and sounds really good, not the one that is almost always in its case that may sound slightly better but you rarely play.

Last edited by Amar911; 11-13-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:57 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar911 View Post
Tommy,

You would love the Savoy. I had a 2014 Taylor 814CE. I like my Collings guitars much better, but the 814 was a nice guitar. The Collings guitars are significantly more expensive than the Savoy. One of my Collings cost 4 times as much. I like the sound of the Collings guitars more than the sound of the Savoy, but there is a lot of similarity. The Savoy is about 90% of the way to a Collings and sounds about as good to me as the Taylor, but closer in sound to the Collings and different than the Taylor. Acoustically, I would choose the sound of the Savoy over the 814 for most music, but Taylors are the choice of many live performers, so people seem to really like their amplified sound. I haven't heard my Savoy amplified because it presently doesn't have pickups. I'm leaning toward K&Ks (or JJBs) played through a Tonedexter into an AER 60, but I need to get a Tonedexter first. If not for the cost and the need for on-board battery power (or phantom power), I would probably opt for the Trance Amulet pickups. I do like the passive nature of the K&Ks.

Sell something and get a Savoy. It is a very comfortable guitar to play and sounds great. The guitar you will like the most is the one that you will always reach for and sounds really good, not the one that is almost always in its case that may sound slightly better but you rarely play.
Thanks for this, and the truth in your advice. It’s an issue of what to sell based on first deciding whether to go all-out on a burst with other customizations, or a basic standard. I’m torn about both considerations. Prior guitar acquisitions/selling have not been so challenging for me.

Since I’ll be flying to spend the winter in SW Florida from early Jan. until the end of April and will have my Cargo with me (which I’m presently trying to make tone enhancements to including a new custom saddle soon to arrive from Michael Stone), what’s likely the wisest thing for me to do is to try and line-up an opportunity to audition a Savoy within reasonable driving distance from Fort Myers, whether with a forum member, or a dealer. AGFer “Strumalot” has already generously reached out to me from NC to try out his soon-to-arrive burst Savoy, but I don’t yet know if I’ll be driving near his place or flying back to Canada late April.

If any Florida members end-up with a Savoy during the mentioned timeframe and are willing to accommodate me, it would be greatly appreciated if you would contact me. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Of course, guitar pickups are very subjective, but I assume builders try and match the best system for a given guitar which in their opinion optimizes its tonal qualities. Does anyone know why Joe has opted for the MiSi as the standard pickup for the Savoy? Not that I know much about pickups, but until noticing it referenced for the Savoy, I’d never heard of it. Do any owners have thoughts about which they consider to be the best match...MiSi or otherwise?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Of course, guitar pickups are very subjective, but I assume builders try and match the best system for a given guitar which in their opinion optimizes its tonal qualities. Does anyone know why Joe has opted for the MiSi as the standard pickup for the Savoy? Not that I know much about pickups, but until noticing it referenced for the Savoy, I’d never heard of it. Do any owners have thoughts about which they consider to be the best match...MiSi or otherwise?
I spoke a bit with Joe on this when ordering my Captain and Savoy. With CF offset soundholes and lack of bridge plates because of their strength it was easier to dial in the sound and also provided a option that did not require cutting a hole in the guitar. It also took away the common complaint of having to have a battery. With eKOA the guitar design is a bit more traditional with center sound holes and bridge plates so you can go with K&K more easily but he still recommends a preamp for professional use in large PAs. So professional use he still recommends MiSi for optimal sound but I only play small rooms occasionally and like the no fuss no muss of K&K.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I have a new Savoy with the K&K. The MISI looked nice, but I don't plug in much (mostly just for recording) and didn't want any extra electrojunk inside the guitar.

I haven't plugged into an amp yet, but plugging into a Focusrite interface yesterday, I maxed out the gain and it could have used more.

I have a K&K XLR pre amp arriving today, which will also help with my K&K-equipped X10N.

If I did a lot of live plug in work, the MISI would be more convenient. The K&K, however, is more versatile and upgradable since you can pick out the pre amp you like. And there's less stuff to come loose, rattle, get messed up, etc. inside the guitar... you spill a bunch of beer in that sound port...
Old 11-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks Fixed and Strum. Strum, I look forward to your thoughts and pics once you’ve spent some time getting to know your new Savoy. Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:10 PM

There are many good external preamps to use with the K&K pickups if you don't need a plug and play guitar with no outboard electronics. I have the Redeye Twin that does a great job with the K&Ks. I have K&Ks with the internal preamp in my Cargo, and that system works very well, but I now wonder whether it's really worth having all the extra stuff riding around in the guitar all the time. Fortunately, with the offset soundhole of the Cargo, the battery is easy to change, and I can mount the battery box on the side of the guitar where it doesn't really interfere with the sound. The battery might not be so easy with the Savoy unless it could be retrieved through the soundport in the side, but the Misi solves that problem, although with a UST.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber