The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2002, 08:12 PM

Default Help! Need advice from owners of other premium-brand guitars

I love my Taylors, but have a problem with the relatively small smace between the high E string and the edge of the fretboard. When I'm playing my Celtic-style music, using lots of hammers and pull offs (and often bending them, too) I occassionally pull a note right off the fretboard and get an annoying buzz.

I'm thinking about selling some of my Taylors to get a premium-quality fingerstyle guitar. I have two main requirements--a cedar top, and at least 1 3/4" nut . . . but would also like a wider fretboard--which doesn't necessarily mean a wider nut. Ryan guitars have plenty of space between the string and the edge, even though they are 1 3/4" nuts, just like my Taylors.

Someone said that I could get a new nut, with the strings spaced differently to give me the room I need on the high E side, but I'm afraid that would have to push the strings closer together--and if anything, I want the spacing between strings wider!

So, anybody care to make recommendations of something that might work?

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 09-23-2002, 05:25 AM

Get a taylor with a 1 7/8 neck and have a nut made for it that spces like the 1 3/4. JW
Old 09-23-2002, 05:26 AM

Or buy a seagull, There is enough room to hang a cup holder on those things JW
Old 09-23-2002, 06:00 AM

You mentioned the Ryan... Why not get one? I know Al Petteway plays Ryans. Why not get one of his?

The 1 7/8" nut on a Taylor is another good suggestion.

I have an Alberico, and he only makes fingerstyle guitars. Check him out at www.albericoguitar.com.

Also, check out www.luthierscollection.com They only sell small volume luthier made instruments. The nice thing is they usually have at least a couple of models in stock from each builder. You don't have to wait for two years to get the instument.... Of course, you don't get to custom order it either.

Good luck,

David
Old 09-23-2002, 10:31 AM

For celtic type music I would give strong recommendation to checking Stefan Sobell's intruments.

Lowdens and Goodalls also work very well.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:39 AM

Sounds like you just need a good setup guy, especially if you love your Taylors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification