The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-24-2016, 11:25 AM

Default Started a new blog about learning classical guitar

Hi Everyone

I started a new blog about learning classical guitar as an (older) adult. Not many posts yet, but I'm having a lot of fun writing about it. Take a look if you're interestedhttp://adultguitarjourney.blogspot.com/

Last edited by creamburmese; 06-24-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:05 PM

Thanks for your "Blog", I spent like an hour enjoy reading it
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Thanks so much for reading! I put up a new post on e-newsletters -
Old 06-30-2016, 04:23 AM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)

Thank you for the your blog

What you have described in your blog is were I am now except, still can't bring myself to play in front of anyone. Started late in life 65, have been playing for 2.5yrs. Started the journey with a $80 squire fender, so I could practice and not disturb my wife. A year later I bought a steal string acoustic Om/SE 000 Breedlove and started to teach myself finger style, can't sing so playing cords didn't make a lot of sense.

Fell in love with the sound of the classical guitar, and wanted to learn how to read music, and about 5 months ago bought a used Contreras C7, also started taking classical guitar lessons last month.
What you have described is exactly what I am going through, I can play without mistakes all the pieces that are part of my lessons, but when the teacher shows up it's like I never practiced at all. Very frustrating.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 AM

Thanks for reading! I think a lot of people struggle to play when put under a microscope. I can't say I have mastered the problem yet but hope to eventually. However I can say that I have finally managed to take the first few baby steps. It did take me 2.5 years to even get there, so I hope you manage better than me! The key for me was finding something that was sufficiently easy and non threatening that I had some success. I think both components are important - you have to play something that is incredibly easy for you and in an environment that is only very mildly stressful. At least that was how I finally managed to play for an audience. I recently played background music for about 25 mins before a memorial service in a large auditorium. The secret there was I started playing before people began to arrive so I had time to settle down and get used to playing. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 PM

very nicely done!

i loved the part about playing for alzheimer's patients. practical on a lot of levels.

"one must practice slowly, then more slowly, and finally slowly"
- camille saint-saens
Old 06-30-2016, 09:09 PM

Have you done the classical guitar corner course, and if so how would you rate it

Dave
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Default Classicalguitarcorner course, short scale guitars

I haven't done the classicalguitarcorner course, but seriously considered it for this summer. I am fortunate in living in a place where I have easy access to classical guitar teachers though, so instead decided to change things up by taking lessons with a different teacher. I would expect it to be useful though based on Simon Powis' other offerings. Keep us posted on how it goes if you take it!

btw I wrote a new post on short scale guitars
http://adultguitarjourney.blogspot.com/
Old 07-18-2016, 06:20 PM

I commented on one of your posts.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I have just gone to your site and scanned through all your "blogs". Great! I found them entertaining, educational, informative and generally enjoyable to read. I also identified with many of your experiences. Thank you. I am an older adult who is also in journey toward learning classical guitar. I don't know where I will end up but I'm traveling one step at a time and one day at a time!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM

Thanks for reading! I tell myself I don't really mind if no-one reads it, but it's always nice to think of someone reading it and identifying (or not!) My next goal is to post more recordings, - gotta get over the irrational fear of being judged and found wanting. Thought I'd get over that after the age of 12, or so...
Old 07-15-2017, 08:19 PM

http://adultguitarjourney.blogspot.pt/
Very nice blog. Good reading material.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical