The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2013, 04:43 PM

Default beginner practice Amp?

What would you guys recommend in the sub £100 bracket please?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM

Ok, I guess i'll have to re-word it...
what Practice Amp would you recommend for a beginner?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 PM

Peavey make they Vypyr line of modeling amps that can now be used with electric guitars, acoustic-electric guitars, and bass guitars in their current incarnation. It sounds like a versatile piece of kit to me. Here in the U.S.A., the lower-watt version sells for around $100.00.

Last edited by WannabeWillie; 09-23-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Thanks for that wannabewillie
That amp does look good, and the only review I could find was a positive one
Have you or anyone else looking here used one?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 AM

I've been considering this one: Ultrasound AG15M. In the US it's about $180 and has both a guitar channel and a voice channel.

Tom
Old 09-25-2013, 05:29 AM

Check out the Kustom Sienna 30 watt.
Separate guitar and mic inputs. Reverb and Chorus. Active and Passive pickup selection. Got min for $149.00 USD.

Len
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 AM

Thanks for that. But I'm not sure if it's sold in the UK, Googled, but couldn't fine one, unless someone here knows better.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 AM

I really like the Roland Cube line-up, very feature packed and sounds really well.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Default IMO it's a mistake to skimp on a Begginners Amp

Speaking from my electric guitar experience, I found it a mistake going cheap with my first amp. I got a Mustang 1 v.2 (for electric guitar). I played it for a month or two and wanted a cleaner and more traditional sound and ended up buying a Peavy Classic 30 (for electric guitar) and haven't regretted it and wish I had done this immediately. If you're looking for an acoustic amp, the Peavy Vyper may give you more distortion on the clean channel than you want to play an acoustic through and seems to have more of a reputation as a Metal amp (IMO). My mustang just sits now. My DCPA1 sounded like crap through it, but it sounded pretty good through the Classic 30, but I wanted as pure of an acoustic tone as I could get so ....

Re acoustic amps: I have no true expertise here (either), but just bought an Acoustic (Brand Name) AG-30 thinking I was buying an Ultrasound AG-30. I play electric a lot more than acoustic, but so far despite mistaken identity issues, I am liking the Acoustic AG-30 despite getting strong recommendations for the Ultrasound AG-15M. The AG-30 I mistakenly got seems to reproduce the true tone of the instrument, has two channels, and an effects knob. It was under $200 at Guitar Center (with coupon; Their Acoustic [brand name] AG-15 runs $119 without coupon, but has only one channel) who did not have the Ultrasound in stock.

The reason I think it's a mistake to skimp is that if you're serious about playing, you'll want a quality sound sooner rather than later and be up upgrading anyway. Having said that, both the Acoustic and Ultrasound AGs seem good quality (with the ultrasound having a better/longerstanding reputation) based on reviews.

John
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Hard to know without doing a lot of Googling what the prices are and availability in the UK. I had a quick look and one possibility would be the smaller Ibanez Troubadors, not bad little amps at all. Maybe a Laney also though I've never tried one.

Try them and compare against say a Fishman Loudbox Mini (a quality compact gig worthy amp) or a Roland AC40 or 33. Then you'll know if you buy now or save a bit longer.

Kris
Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM

Get a good amp: Ultrasound AG-15
You'll like it.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM

Recently, I was in the market for a small, capable, but authentic sounding amp for use with my J-35. At the recommendation of many on this forum, I went with the Ultrasound Dean Markley AG-15 amplifier.

I had some quack issues (the pickup's fault, not the amp's!) that I solved with an Aura 16. I've lost a smidge of the authenticity having to "blend" the aura image but I am very very happy with the amp. Clean and true. Very affordable as well. I can't imagine a better option for home use.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamybob View Post
Thanks for that wannabewillie
That amp does look good, and the only review I could find was a positive one
Have you or anyone else looking here used one?
I haven't yet had the chance to try one of the current Vypyr models that is supposed to work with electric guitars, bass guitars, and acoustic guitars. I have been very keen to do so, though, based on very favorable experience with an older 15 watt Vypyr meant as a dedicated electric guitar amplifier.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeWillie View Post
I haven't yet had the chance to try one of the current Vypyr models that is supposed to work with electric guitars, bass guitars, and acoustic guitars. I have been very keen to do so, though, based on very favorable experience with an older 15 watt Vypyr meant as a dedicated electric guitar amplifier.
didn't know they built one that versatile. Cool !
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the all the replies.
Unfortunately I don't think some of these amps are available in the UK (where I am)
I particularly like the look of the Ultrasound AG15M and Peavey Vypyr range.
Be too expensive to buy them from the US with postage.

Edit...
hang on, I just had a quick search again and found a place in the UK who stocks a Peavey Vypyr II VIP 1.
Any advice on this on?

Last edited by yamybob; 09-26-2013 at 08:13 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification