The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-16-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Oh, and how about a clip? Here's an outro solo on a pop song I was asked to sweeten. Bridge pickup.

OUTRO SOLO

Bob
woooooo! bob, fantastic outro!!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-16-2015, 02:53 PM

Hey Bob, Nice Job buddy, you rock!
Old 07-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for your kind words, guys.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
What $500 models? The six individual saddles is always better for setting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
This. ^^^. Stay way from the two strings per saddle set up.
LOL. You can tell this isn't a Telecaster forum.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:54 PM

FWIW, my MIM 'Nashville' Tele is just about the best axe for the least amount of money of any guitar I've ever owned. I bought it "used" for somewhere south of $450.00 although I think it was more like a return from someone who bought new and didn't care for it...axe was virtually untouched.

I chose to go with the honey blonde color, as it was the only color available with an ash body; maple fingerboard, vintage style ashtray bridge with 6 saddles, vintage style tuners with slotted pegs. I changed the last 2 items for modern hardware, a Gotoh modern Tele bridge and a set of Schaller tuners. Wasn't anything wrong with the vintage type tuners...they held tune fine, but I hate slotted pegs, and not real fond of ashtray bridges either.

This is a 3 pickup model with Tex-Mex Tele pups at neck and bridge, and a RWRP Texas Special Strat pup in center, with a five-way Tele style selector. It's a bit ironic that they call this a "Nashville" Tele, as it skews more to 'rock' style Tele tones than country style...think early Page/Zep rather than Danny Gatton. BTW, they also have one with a Fishman bridge and/or a B-Bender.

This thing absolutely burns! Plenty of Tele twang & sparkle in there but with a searing upper mid that just cuts right through and real nice clucky tones in the 2 and 4 positions. I usually keep this one in open G for Stones and Led Zeppelin tunes and for slide work, strung with 11-50 for just a taste more neck relief for slide and big, pianistic lows.

It goes to every gig I play, along with one of my USA Strats and my PRS Studio. Little Mexican Tele hangs right in there with them.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Has anyone dealt with Sam Ash? I see they have a 3 year no interest plan on American Standard Teles. I know it requires a card, but that's the only way I could afford one. I normally buy from Sweetwater but they stopped the 3year deal.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
Has anyone dealt with Sam Ash? I see they have a 3 year no interest plan on American Standard Teles. I know it requires a card, but that's the only way I could afford one. I normally buy from Sweetwater but they stopped the 3year deal.
I have not dealt with the corporate Sam Ash (internet, cards, etc), but locally in Richmond, VA I have bought a guitar from Sam Ash. It was a good experience. I picked up a used Telecaster (miss priced too low) and it had some electrical problems when I got home. I brought it back the next day and they honored their 30 day policy and completely repaired and set it up for free while I waited. It turned out to be a great deal and I am very happy.

I think whether you are happy or not will vary by location and staff. The 3 year no interest plan is likely the same corporate branding and same credit companies you could get at any dealer, whether Sam Ash, GC, Bass Pro Shop, Sears, or elsewhere.

P.S. I heartily recommend not ever buying anything on credit - except maybe a house, or a car if you are dead stuck without transportation. Stay within your means.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
This. ^^^. Stay way from the two strings per saddle set up.

Why? I had a Baja Tele and currently have a Muddy Waters Tele, both of which had three saddle bridges. They both stayed in tune perfectly and intonated without any problems. I picked up the Muddy last night for the first time in about ten days and only one string was even slightly out of tune.

And even if a three saddle Tele is ever so slightly off on the intonation, that is one of the unique charms/aspects of a Tele and this has been the case for years.

Personally, if I were ever to buy a Tele with six saddles my first move would be to ditch that bridge for a three saddle version as that is the way that Teles are supposed to be.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:46 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Would the American Special have the same neck as the American Standard?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Why? I had a Baja Tele and currently have a Muddy Waters Tele, both of which had three saddle bridges. They both stayed in tune perfectly and intonated without any problems. I picked up the Muddy last night for the first time in about ten days and only one string was even slightly out of tune.

And even if a three saddle Tele is ever so slightly off on the intonation, that is one of the unique charms/aspects of a Tele and this has been the case for years.

Personally, if I were ever to buy a Tele with six saddles my first move would be to ditch that bridge for a three saddle version as that is the way that Teles are supposed to be.
I said it because the OP asked about easier to set up. I get that three saddles are correct for certain vintage, etc. but if you are concerned with intonation, it's easier to be accurate with a six.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

I don't care for the raised edge on the 3 saddle bridge. I like the flat plate on the MIM Tele the op posted.

I owned a MIM Agave Blue Tele for several years. A year ago a 3 color burst American Standard came up on CL. It turned out to be basically a new guitar (a few weeks old). Got it for $800. The Agave Blue sold in 3 days for $350 (what I paid for it). Great deal for me on a, imho, much better guitar. The point is, this can happen.. just takes time sometimes.

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
Would the American Special have the same neck as the American Standard?
Not sure about the neck but I think it has the larger, jumbo frets.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 AM

The Baja Tele is awesome. Great variety of tones, cool vintagey look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars