The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-18-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danley View Post
...Someone mentioned the Frontman; I'm actually ok on a certain level with the Frontman series, used within its limitations and with lower output (single coil) axes...But with higher output and volume, they fall apart in a way that's almost hilarious. I've never known anyone who invested in any mods/speakers on these, and would be interested to hear the result.

I've heard good modelers these days (Mustang included), but to me as long as modelers are just trying to get close to a valve amp, might as well buy a valve amp More reliable/repairable, and just more fun IMO. I've owned modelers; they usually just wind up stuck on the model I enjoy most, and I wonder in the background if the real thing is better. Not worth the worry to me.
The speakers were always the weak link in the Frontman amps - and if you prowl the reviews you'll find plenty of guys who upgraded them, with overwhelmingly favorable results; FWIW even Fender recognized this when they issued the second-generation "blackface" redesign, substituting speakers tonally/cosmetically reminiscent of the old "brown label" Jensens in the 100W 212R. BTW these are often modded with Eminence Swamp Thangs and a full-size 'verb tank by the surf crowd, creating essentially a "poor man's Twin" for less than half the price of the real deal; speaking as the owner of an unmodded version, I'll be the first to tell you that it does the Fender "big clean" tone as well as my '65 Super RI (no lack of output or volume there) and from what I've seen the aforementioned mods take the last of the solid-state "rasp" out of the highs and fatten up the bottom like a gennie blackface. On the lower end of the scale, I've heard Frontman 25R amps (still available from GC for $99 last I looked, BTW) modded with Eminence Ragin' Cajun/Lil' Buddy speakers - and if I didn't already have a couple nice low-powered tube amps I'd have no problem playing one on a small gig...

As far as modeling rigs are concerned I too tried getting on the bandwagon early on, and found myself in exactly the same position - locking into the same one or two sounds that I could just as easily (and more authentically) have gotten with an analog amp, and bringing in outboard stompboxes when/if needed. While they're great practice/recording tools when you need "that sound" in a hurry (I worked with a studio guy a couple years back who swore by his first-gen Line 6 Flextone rackmount) I've yet to see any performing act above the local bar/cover-band level that uses them as their primary backline; I've also come to liken the entire premise to a lunchdate with a Sofia Vergara mannequin - all the requisite superficials but lacking the soul ...
Old 07-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Bob View Post
what about the Carvin V16? there is one on craigslist that i am going to try tomorrow for $250.00 used.

http://carvinamplifiers.com/collecti...att-triode-amp
Solid...very nice option and for that $ a no brainer. I would have bought one a few years ago but already had too many amps filling that spot.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:46 AM

Funny, my dad just bought a Frontman 25 from GC... I might have to mod while he's not looking

Actually, a LOT of my playing (well, all of it lately that gets recorded) has been through modeling... But not through an amp. I use GarageBand and an interface, as it's just so convenient to practice and record that way. Really I think it's just so much more versatile living in an apartment/condo, I wish I had it as a tool while I was learning/younger, my playing would have progressed much more quickly, what with the ability to record/use backing tracks easily etc.

Still, nothing beats ripping the air open with an amp; just wish I had more of a legit excuse to do it nowadays
Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've yet to see any performing act above the local bar/cover-band level that uses them as their primary backline ...
I have. Adrian Belew. He used a Line 6 combo amp when I saw him a few years ago. Can't think of anyone else though.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 07-19-2015, 07:57 AM

Fender Blues Jr. - small tube amp. I use it with my electrics (Gibson Les Paul and Epiphone E339 imitation).
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danley View Post
Funny, my dad just bought a Frontman 25 from GC...I might have to mod while he's not looking...
Get him in on the fun - if he's a rocker get a Ragin' Cajun, if he's more of a blues/jazz/country/roots kinda guy go with a Lil' Buddy - and be prepared to order one of your own when the dust settles...
Old 07-19-2015, 10:11 AM

Played a Fender Frontman last night that had the stock speakers-not my kind of thing, very harsh and unforgiving. Tube tone is what I crave, give me some sag with nice decay.

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 AM

Have youu considered an Ibanez TSA15?
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/amp...=141&ampl_id=3
Old 07-29-2015, 11:07 AM

My SG Standard w '57 Classics sounds awesome through my Vox AC4TV, which I picked up on eBay for a decent price. It's a lot louder than one would expect, especially on the full 5W setting, but can be brought all the way down to 1/4W output for bedroom playing. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM

Default My local guitar slinger has one of these...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...effects/h88937
Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM

DO NOT BUY a SS amp if you want warmth and the tone from the 60's. Period.

All tube. Only way to go (IMHO). The new tube emulation is pretty good, but only tubes give it the real warmth and smooth breakup.

I'm not an electric guitar guy but have been blowing blues harp through tube amps for 25 years. I have owned dozens of tube amps.

In the newer stuff I would look at the VHT Super 6 or Ultra 6.

If you need 15 watts or more I would look at the Blues Junior and the reissue Deluxe Reverb.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-07-2015, 02:42 PM

love my late 60's Fender VibroChamp

breaks up well without a lot of volume and handles OD pedals really well

1994 Taylor 810 Sitka/Indian Rosewood
2015 LR Baggs Anthem -
LR Baggs Session pre-amp D.I.
Fishman AFX Reverb
Empress ParaEQ
1999 Fender Stratocaster
1968 Fender Vibrochamp
Old 08-09-2015, 05:35 PM

I have three.

Frontman 25R - 12" extension cab/Cannibus Rex speaker (solid state).
Super Champ XD - 10" Ragin Cajun speaker (1/2 solid state/1/2 tube).
Blues Junior III - Cannibus Rex speaker (all tube).

A few thoughts.
1. Any of the three are a good choice for home use and the sound you're talking about.
2. While the Blues Junior, being all tube, is certainly able to deliver a more authentic version of the tone you describe it's a fairly limited advantage at low volume in small spaces.
3. More important than solid state vs. hybrid vs. all tube is what speaker you've got under the hood. Unfortunately, in an effort to keep prices down most new sub $1K amps come with "cost effective" low efficiency speakers that often limit what the amps are actually capable of delivering.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 08-09-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
I have three.

Frontman 25R - 12" extension cab/Cannibus Rex speaker (solid state).
Super Champ XD - 10" Ragin Cajun speaker (1/2 solid state/1/2 tube)
Blues Junior III - Cannibus Rex speaker (all tube)

...More important than solid state vs. hybrid vs. all tube is what speaker you've got under the hood. Unfortunately, in an effort to keep prices down most new sub $1K amps come with "cost effective" low efficiency speakers that often limit what the amps are actually capable of delivering.
+1 - I've been swapping speakers for the last 40 years regardless of amp type, and the results have ranged from mild grins to jaw-dropping. Couple questions:

- How's that Cannabis Rex with the Frontman? I have a second-gen 212R (the '65 Twin lookalike) that I'm looking to mod into a rockabilly/surf box with a full-size 'verb tank and a speaker upgrade; the surf guys favor the Swamp Thang (BTW I've got one in my Bugera V22 - this is one of the jaw-droppers) but I'd like to keep the weight down if at all possible - a pair of Swamp Thangs will add around ten pounds that I can do without at my age...

- Did you ever try the Frontman with the Ragin' Cajun - I've heard some guys consider it the ultimate practice setup for classic and Southern rock...
Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
+1 - I've been swapping speakers for the last 40 years regardless of amp type, and the results have ranged from mild grins to jaw-dropping. Couple questions:

- How's that Cannabis Rex with the Frontman? I have a second-gen 212R (the '65 Twin lookalike) that I'm looking to mod into a rockabilly/surf box with a full-size 'verb tank and a speaker upgrade; the surf guys favor the Swamp Thang (BTW I've got one in my Bugera V22 - this is one of the jaw-droppers) but I'd like to keep the weight down if at all possible - a pair of Swamp Thangs will add around ten pounds that I can do without at my age...

- Did you ever try the Frontman with the Ragin' Cajun - I've heard some guys consider it the ultimate practice setup for classic and Southern rock...
As you probably know the C-Rex is often used to tame bright or overly bright amps. I guess the best way I can describe it is that all of the frequencies are there in spades but they come off rounder and with less edge than some other speakers. I've never tried the "Swamp Thang" so I'm not sure that the C-Rex would be a better option for "Surf" or not. I'm basically a Country and Blues player and the C-Rex does a great job in all three of the amps I mentioned. In fact it sounds great in every amp I've tried it in.

As far as the Frontman goes I have to agree. The Ragin Cajun in that amp is indeed a jaw dropper. Huge improvement. I installed a simple speaker out jack on this one so that I could just swap the leads when I want to change from the RC to an extension cab.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 08-09-2015 at 07:23 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars