The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 AM

I am probably going to convert my performer to solid wood or recover with real tolex this coming winter. Still undecided.

If I do, I'll post lot's of pics & tips.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Amp cabs aren't particularly hard to replicate in a nice solid hardwood, particularly if you like to do higher end woodworking. A really nice touch is to dovetail the cabinet corners to highlight the joinery. If you aren't up to the task a few questions at a local woodworking store can get you hooked up with someone who will do the custom work.

Although you can replicate the cabinet dimensions precisely I'd recommend keeping the internal cabinet dimensions the same and using thicker wood for the actual cabinet. The main reason for this is to minimize cabinet resonance, which is one of the main reasons manufacturers went for engineered composite material covered with lacquered tweed cloth, later switching to cheaper / easier to apply Tolex, and later still (to make cabinets even more cheaply) "rat fur" carpet material.

The main problem with boutique cabinets is since they are "fine furniture" they don't take the abuse of schlocking them around as gigging amps. Just take that into consideration.

Another option to consider is to make your own cabinet (engineered wood OK in this case...) and cover it with upholstery fabric. The fabric can be glued on easily, is highly resistant to damage, corner hardware covers tucked or folded corners, and the choices of great material is mind-boggling. I've done cabs in Egyptian motif fabric, canvas material, and some other unique design fabric. The fabric covering can be finished with brushed on lacquer if you want to go for that classic 50's cabinet look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification