The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-13-2017, 10:08 PM

Default Stefan Grossman slow blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSbBZI1eQTU

Think i have been looking for the blues all this time .I been at the crossroads driving myself crazy trying to teach myself the theory.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze. View Post

Think i have been looking for the blues all this time .I been at the crossroads driving myself crazy trying to teach myself the theory.
I would recommend you learn things one song at a time until you can comfortably play 50-100 numbers, THEN look at theory. That way you'll have a practical body of knowledge which will give you a contextual reference for the theory study. Theory is ABOUT music. It is not the music, so knowing more music will give you a clearer picture of what the theory is about.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Your only hope to ever play like that is to practice playing your guitar, not worrying about theory too much or at all at this stage.

I like theory, I can read music but first and foremost for a beginner you have to play your guitar a lot.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I been at the crossroads driving myself crazy trying to teach myself the theory.
I've noticed. Some basic theory is fine to back up what you are working on but in the main assimilate this stuff by copious listening and careful copying what you have heard. Work on playing techniques required for the pieces you want to play.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

E7, A7, B7 and e minor pentatonic patterns at 3rd and 5th fret position. That's all the theory you need to get started for 12 bar blues. Play your guitar.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 06-16-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
E7, A7, B7 and e minor pentatonic patterns St 3rd and 5th fret position. That's all the theory you need to get started for 12 bar blues. Play your guitar.
I like to think in terms of melody over chords, and that includes other notes than in the
pentatonic.

Note how he sets up beginning with a I-IV-V-I before varying it out for some play time
to a V7-I-I7-IV-IV-I-V7-I and then begins to wrap up (prior to a repeat) with a flavor
shift to the use of the minor chords vi7 and ii7.

Anyway that's how I would look at it. Then you need to look at the timing, accenting,
and palm muting

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-15-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:

That's a fairly complex blues. If it's blues you're interested in, two pieces of advice:

1. Ignore that tune. It's got too many chords.
2. Forget theory. No blues player ever studied theory, so you don't need to.

The only theory you need is 3 chords, I IV and V. That means:

C, F and G for key of C;
G, C and D for key of G;
D, G and A for key of D;
A, D and E for key of A;
E, A and B for key of E.

Add b7s to any of those chords if you like - it makes them sound more bluesy, and makes some of them easier too.

To learn blues, listen and copy. And (thanks be to youtube!) watch and copy.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
As I understand it, you wait at the crossroads long enough and some guy offers you a deal. You wont need theory then.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 AM

That piece is Blind Blake style and is fairly complex. Grossman has some others in E and A that are a little more bare bones.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 AM

That song is a basic style of fingerpicking, it's not too technical in the left hand, simple chords. It's all in the right hand, all that old blues, right hand is key. Most great guitar music is in the right hand.

Learn that song by first knowing the chord changes. Know the chords and be able to strum them. Next, and most importantly, know the melody and be able to play the melody as single notes. That song has a distinct melody, all blues songs have a distinct melody, people think blues is just a lot of licks thrown together. No, the blues is about melody or creating a melody, not just a lot of licks. Then put the two together, that's where you apply the bass runs and licks used as fills, keeping the thumb moving and the easy swing.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
As I understand it, you wait at the crossroads long enough and some guy offers you a deal. You wont need theory then.
I took the deal sod all that theory
Old 06-16-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I took the deal sod all that theory
Could you PM me the google map of that crossroads?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Trouble is, those crossroads are clogged with all those snake-oil salesmen promoting their magic theory fixes, waiting to pounce on the latter-day Robert Johnsons....
"Hey guitarists, come and buy your Modes here!"
"Cheap shortcuts!"
"Scale patterns, we gottem! Buy 7, get 84 free!"

The poor old Devil can't find a space any more.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Trouble is, those crossroads are clogged with all those snake-oil salesmen promoting their magic theory fixes, waiting to pounce on the latter-day Robert Johnsons....
"Hey guitarists, come and buy your Modes here!"
"Cheap shortcuts!"
"Scale patterns, we gottem! Buy 7, get 84 free!"

The poor old Devil can't find a space any more.
Good one, but, imo, there's really nothing wrong with learning how music is put together. It's not magic, it's just information.

It's those pushing systems for just learning shapes, the put-your-fingers-here-never-mind-what-it's-called-or-how-it-works crowd, people who seem rather intent on obscuring information, that I think are the snake oil salesmen.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 06-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
Good one, but, imo, there's really nothing wrong with learning how music is put together. It's not magic, it's just information.

It's those pushing systems for just learning shapes, the put-your-fingers-here-never-mind-what-it's-called-or-how-it-works crowd, people who seem rather intent on obscuring information, that I think are the snake oil salesmen.
Those are the ones I mean.

It's not just the "never-mind-what-it's-called" people - that's not so bad, really, plenty of people do well enough in music without knowing what stuff is called. And I don't think there's many who deliberately obscure information.
The problem is the shortcut folk, mostly people misusing terminology, in order to make quick buck. While pretending to offer short cuts and quick fixes, they actually make things more complicated.
That serves their purposes, of course, because the more complicated something can be made to appear to be, the more bite-sized chunks of information it can be broken down into, the more a learner can be tied into an enfless series of "lessons".
It's in no one's interest to explain things simply. No one's going to make any money from a one-page book...

The root of the problem is really the notion that the answers can all be found in information. Students understandably suffer from that notion, but the snake-oil salesmen exploit that misapprehension.

Music is a process, an activity. You learn it by doing it. You need very little information to begin the activity, and even less to continue it.

Hey, I'm a teacher myself, I'm guilty! I take the poor saps' money if they're offering. I obviously try not to mislead, but most of the time I'm thinking "for chrissake, with a bit more self-discipline you can do this all yourself!" I taught myself, why can't they??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write