The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-04-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Best all-in-one pre-amp

Looking for a DI box for my daughter's first-gen Guild GAD rosewood dread with K&K pure mini.

Budget $200
Features desired:
- clean boost to passive guitar output
- Phantom powered
- sturdy
- EQ
- mute
- tuner (has to be a good tuner, otherwise better off without)

Doable? Is there a particular unit that really owns this price point?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:59 AM

I don't know of one that has phantom power and a tuner.

If you don't mind battery or power options, there are several. I would look at the new ZOOM AC-2

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...Y9lBoCjf_w_wcB
Old 06-05-2017, 08:51 AM

Even those over your budget don't have everything you want... In my experience, there's always something missing. I think that phantom power is the sticking point, it doesn't seem to provide enough power for all the other things you want.

The LR Baggs Venue may be close to what you want, also consider the Radial Tonebone PZ-Deluxe it has my favorite eq section.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM

I was thinking the same - the Venue has everything you are looking for except phantom power. It can run on a 9V battery if required. I use it that way at open mics.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
Looking for a DI box for my daughter's first-gen Guild GAD rosewood dread with K&K pure mini.

Budget $200
Features desired:
- Phantom powered
- sturdy
- EQ
- mute

Many thanks in advance!
Hi sp

Perhaps if you could find one of the new Fishman Platinum Pro models USED (they are $300 new). But even used they tend to go for premium dollar (too new).

No phantom power, but a boost pedal and tuner.

I own/use the little brother Fishman Platinum Stage, which has no tuner, does have phantom power, and the Boost is a button you push on the side, not a pedal switch. Has auto-ground sensing/switching, frequency driven bass cut, sweepable mids and other great features and is housed in an aluminum case. And it's $150 new.

It's replaced my ParaDI as a loaner when we do gigs with other groups and someone shows up with a pickup and no preamp. Awesome little unit with surprising features for the price.

If I were inclined to spend $300, I'd get the Baggs Venue rather than the Fishman Platinum PRO. Tuner is lousy, but everything else is about the same, and the controls/dials/faders are labeled more friendly for guitarists and non-techy techs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post

Budget $200
Features desired:
- Phantom powered
- sturdy
- EQ
- mute

Many thanks in advance!
At first glance, I believe the Zoom A3 has everything you want including phantom power. The menu system/buttons are a bit complicated but once you learn them, you can do what you're wanting.

The new Zoom AC-2 seems to be a simplified A3 without all the effects options.

Good luck,
PJ
Old 06-05-2017, 12:20 PM

The Para Acoustic DI is phantom powered. It does work well with the K&K. It does not have mute or a tuner.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 06-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
The Para Acoustic DI is phantom powered. It does work well with the K&K. It does not have mute or a tuner.
Hi IP

Nor a boost…I read his first point as it needing a boost.

I own ParaDIs and I hate that the XLR sticks straight up into the air. Mine have never been damaged, but I've seen several injured/killed by someone yanking or kicking the cable end and it breaks inside the ParaDI. I have taped them to mic stands, or slid them underneath amp stands etc to protect them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-05-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi IP

I own ParaDIs and I hate that the XLR sticks straight up into the air. Mine have never been damaged, but I've seen several injured/killed by someone yanking or kicking the cable end and it breaks inside the ParaDI. I have taped them to mic stands, or slid them underneath amp stands etc to protect them.

I use right-angle XLRs with a PADI for exactly that reason. Reduces the risk to the point where it's not an issue.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi IP

The way I read his use of "Boost" is that he wants a DI that will increase "boost" a passive signal much as a preamp does.

I agree that the position of PADI's XLR is a problem in waiting, yet I've never had an issue with it.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 06-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
The way I read his use of "Boost" is that he wants a DI that will increase "boost" a passive signal much as a preamp does.

I agree that the position of PADI's XLR is a problem in waiting, yet I've never had an issue with it.
Hi IP

Every unit listed so far IS a preamp (with direct box…DI…capabilities).

For modern stage use, Direct Boxes merely convert a high impedance signal to low impedance for long/quiet cable runs (as from an instrument on-stage to the PA board). More capable ones may split/parallel the high impedance out to a stage amp while sending the low impedance signal to the board.

More elaborate ones (yet passive ones) may have signal attenuation and ground lift capabilities, but they are still passive Direct Boxes not preamps.

Boosting the signal, and/or altering tone of the guitar pickup's signal is the job of a preamplifier, not a direct box. Many modern preamps have Direct Box capabilities added to them, and are mistakenly referred to as Direct Boxes when they are actually preamps.

I still own a number of passive direct boxes which we use for connecting guitars with built in preamps to PA systems when no external preamp is necessary.

I actually carry one for my K&K belt pack preamp which only has a ¼" high impedance output. I run from the preamp to the passive direct box then to stage amp/PA system from the passive Direct Box.

I'm thinking what the original poster is referring to wanting is a preamp with direct-box-out capabilities (the title indicates that). And any number of the ones listed are far easier to use than a ParaDI, which has knobs labeled that only a sound tech can translate (and even some markings on a ParaDI challenge techs).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-05-2017, 07:38 PM

I use the LR Baggs Venue and am very happy with it. I think it covers what you need. You can pick one up used for <$200.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 AM

This is a great set of responses. Many thanks! I'll reply again when my daughter and I make te decision.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:46 AM

Kk pure xlr has an eq,is designed for her pickup,runs on
Phantom power and is about 150.you could buy a boss
Eq pedal which would give a clean boost and add a clip on tuner
All this off ebay could be done for 200. Just another option.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:21 AM

I always come back to the Para DI (I also used a right-angle XLR). Paired with a TU-2 tuner (also used as a mute), it's a simple, clean and dependable combo. Also has a built in FX loop for adding other pedals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification