The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookerBob View Post
Yeah, the best sounding one I've tried so far was the Fishman Rare Earth Blend - I liked the mic in that much better than Lyric... but everything is a compromise.

TD + K&K is great so far.
Yep, each approach has its advantages and drawbacks. I prefer the LB6 as I think a Mag lacks the texture of an acoustic and while the LB6 has good headroom for a piezo, it's not going to sound great if strummed vigorously and it does not pickup body sounds. I use the PUTW #54 as my second source and while it sounds pretty natural and detects sounds all over the guitar, it still requires a good deal of bass cut and preamplification. Nothing's ever perfect, but I'm, as a whole, pretty happy with what I have and I try not to wonder "what if?" too much.

That being said, I'm going to wait awhile and maybe try the Tonedexter. That seems like the best compromise of "simple" solution and quality sound.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 05-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Yep, TD (w/K&K) has been great for me thus far.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:16 PM

The Lyric is great ... until you start trying to get loud. The louder you get, the more eq options you MUST have. If you've got a good multiband parametric eq, and plenty of patience, you might be able to get a useable sound for playing with a band, cutting most of your lows below 500 hz. But with an acoustic with a band should be high-passed anyway, especially if you're playing with a bass. That D18 is going to be a challenge with the low-mids.

Lyric has the most natural sound I've heard from a pickup at lower, small room volumes. But for doing clubs with a band, you'll likely need to go with something else or at least with a dual source with the Lyric so you can dial it way back when necessary.

Just my experience and opinion so far.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:37 AM

**UPDATE**

I've had the Lyric installed for a few weeks now. It was easy to install and trust me, I'm no handyman.

I've been using it at church and at my outdoor gigs. It sounds very realistic and I have had no problems with feedback. I have A/B'd it with my Taylor with ES 1.3 and I think both sounded great. Different, but great.

What I did was set the EQ on my PA so that it sounds the way I like with the Lyric (since it has no onboard EQ) and when I play the Taylor I just make the necessary adjustments with the guitar's knobs.

Of course I don't have any recordings or scientific tests to prove my results to the internet, but I like it and my audiences like it and that's good enough for me.

The way I see it is that now I've got two great-sounding, great-playing, gig-ready guitars. What's not to like?
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the follow-up, ChrisE. Some folks never give us an update and we're left wondering how things went for them.

Although I've had some EQ struggles with my own Lyric-equipped guitar, I've also heard (from a soundman's perspective) the Lyric work so well for two players that they didn't even need any EQ tweaks to get a balanced and pleasing amplified tone from their rigs. It doesn't surprise me that things can go well with the Lyric, but I've also heard some Lyric rigs which amplified poorly. Its good to learn that you're one of those Lyric users in the satisfied category.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
It doesn't surprise me that things can go well with the Lyric, but I've also heard some Lyric rigs which amplified poorly. Its good to learn that you're one of those Lyric users in the satisfied category.
I'm another in the satisfied category. For my LG2, I send the signal through a PADI, and find it really pretty straightforward to get a good sound. I do think they work best in a smaller bodied guitar, however. I'm considering putting one in my Waterloo.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM

I've used the Lyric at about 10 gigs so far and everything has gone fine. Last weekend I was playing an outdoor gig (almost all my gigs are outdoors) and a young guy came up to talk to me and he said he plays professionally "up north." I asked him how the mix, etc. was and he said, "I'll play one and you go listen for yourself." Usually I wouldn't let a stranger play my guitar but he seemed like he knew what he was doing so I let him.

The guy was really good--a great singer and player. I walked around the area and it sounded really good--even better than I expected. I know the guy's skill had a lot to do with it, but one thing for sure is that the sound coming out of the PA was the sound of my D-18, and it sounded great!
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 PM

Awesome story David!!! Glad to hear your setup is working well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-02-2019, 04:41 PM

anyone else using a lyric in a d-18?
Old 12-03-2019, 12:45 PM

This is probably a good time to mention the difference between the EQ in pro and consumer level mixing consoles.

I have no doubt that a good soundman can make an internal mic like a Lyric sound very good using an EQ with multiple bands that have adjustable center frequencies and Q adjustments.

The problem is when you go to a local open mic or gig somewhere with a house system where they just have three band EQ with fixed frequency treble, mid, and bass knobs.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:48 PM

I had forgotten this thread I started a couple of years ago.

In spite of all the warnings from concerned forum members, I’ve been using the Lyric for a couple of years now and I still think it sounds great. I plug it right into my Carvin Stagemate and use the knobs on the amp to dial in the sound I want. No problem.

As before, I don’t have any scientific evidence to prove it; just my own ears.
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 12-03-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
This is probably a good time to mention the difference between the EQ in pro and consumer level mixing consoles.

I have no doubt that a good soundman can make an internal mic like a Lyric sound very good using an EQ with multiple bands that have adjustable center frequencies and Q adjustments.

The problem is when you go to a local open mic or gig somewhere with a house system where they just have three band EQ with fixed frequency treble, mid, and bass knobs.
My Lyric-equipped guitar gets excessively boomy around 125Hz when cranking the level for a noisy setting. I'm currently getting my Baggs PADI repaired with the idea of better controlling the boomy frequencies. The PADI's sweepable and depth adjustable notch has been helpful with that particular issue (with iBeam equipped guitars especially) in the past.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-03-2019 at 02:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification