The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I have just transitioned from steel strings to Spanish guitars.

For me, it had to be a flamenco guitar and not a classical. This is due to the action of the strings. My understanding is:
  • Classical guitars are built to have high action, it's not just a high saddle.
  • Flamencas are built to have low action and they are built to have a low bridge, low saddle and therefore a low break angle over the saddle so that the strings feel nice and flexible.
The height of the strings above the top is more a flamenco technique consideration. Not so much a string flexibility consideration.

hunter
Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 AM

Yes, my mistake... The $600 price was what I saw for USED C9's on GC site..

I apologize for the error

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
The Cordoba C9 sells new for $859, not $600.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-22-2017, 07:36 AM

+1

String height is lower for Flamenco play because flamenco players like the "growl" and string snap noise while playing. Which is not exactly accepted in the rest of the classical world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
The height of the strings above the top is more a flamenco technique consideration. Not so much a string flexibility consideration.

hunter
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
+1

String height is lower for Flamenco play because flamenco players like the "growl" and string snap noise while playing. Which is not exactly accepted in the rest of the classical world.
Not height of strings above the fretboard. Height of strings above the top.

hunter
Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 AM

I agree with this, zhunter, but I have also noticed that flamenco guitars have really low saddles and bridges with a different neck angle to what I am used to.

In fact, coming from the acoustic world, I immediately thought something was wrong with the construction, but then I read some posts on delcamp that suggested that that is the correct way to build a flamenco guitar.

I would need to read further into this, but I remember a poster saying that the low saddle and bridge height, in conjunction with a different neck angle were needed to "get that right hand feel".

So not sure exactly what that feel is.

I just know from my experience that when the break angle is too steep, the strings feel stiff. Lower the break angle and the strings feel more flexible (I'm think this is to do with the strings being able to move slightly over the saddle more easily as they are fretted of bent). But, not sure if this is part of that feel he was talking about.

Maybe you know more about this and can explain?

Eitherway, the original point was that flamenco guitars are built differently from classicals. It's not just a case of changing the saddle height to go from one to the other. Personally, I really would not like to buy a proper classical, and the construction of a flamenco guitar suits me better (I don't play classical music or flamenco music).
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Not all flamenco guitars have low saddles. And a low bridge contributes nothing to the compliance of the string. If you look at a classical/flamenco bridge and headstock and think about the mechanics, the amount of string behind the saddle is small and compared to the amount of string beyond the nut is miniscule. The contribution of saddle break angle to string feel is miniscule too. Especially given the inherent stretch in a nylon string and the normal lack of string bending associated with the medium.

So why put strings closer to the top? Right hand position, technique and golpe.

hunter
Old 06-21-2017, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Not all flamenco guitars have low saddles. And a low bridge contributes nothing to the compliance of the string. If you look at a classical/flamenco bridge and headstock and think about the mechanics, the amount of string behind the saddle is small and compared to the amount of string beyond the nut is miniscule. The contribution of saddle break angle to string feel is miniscule too. Especially given the inherent stretch in a nylon string and the normal lack of string bending associated with the medium.

So why put strings closer to the top? Right hand position, technique and golpe.

hunter

I set my Flamenco saddle low, not because my left or right hand need it, all nylon string guitars feel easy to play to me - especially after playing a steel string acoustic.

But to my ear my Flamenco just didn't sound authentic without a little buzz and rattle. For me that's all part of the percussive sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM

I tried several name brand Classical guitars {Like 7} and came out with a Cordoba C5ce that was the best of the bunch. Intonation,string height,sound was right on so I bought it at GC. Have Never looked back and it records in my studio perfectly. I was willing to spend about a grand for something good but this little gem had the sound and everything else with it. After two years it still captures my imagination and is a daily player. Cordoba Rocks!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical