The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM-42 View Post
Your MMD is exquisite! I love the overall look and how the copper is repeated in the rosette and the headstock. Adam, you are one lucky musician!
Thanks Bruce...I think I am. Once again I've given Tom free range, and once again he's produced something lovely.

The only question is should I leave it at three...or order a parlour guitar too! 😂
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 11-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Looks great.

As you know, I'm not a fan of unnecessarily long headstocks, but the copper inlay here sort of makes up for that: It looks like it's a slot head when, in reality, it's conventional.

Looking forward to playing it!

Cheers,
Steve
I shall look forward to you playing it too... 😀
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 11-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Wow! This one's going to be (well, it already is!) a stunner. Amazing set of sapele, lovely design touches and overall aesthetic, and what a great rosette - and tied in with the headstock too! Definitely something special going one here! Can't wait to see it under finish (and perhaps in the flesh at some point too!).
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 11-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Looks great.

As you know, I'm not a fan of unnecessarily long headstocks, but the copper inlay here sort of makes up for that: It looks like it's a slot head when, in reality, it's conventional.

Looking forward to playing it!

Cheers,
Steve
I shall look forward to you playing it too. 😀
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 AM

Any pics of the completed guitar?

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 02-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Almost there...

So, here we are.

The guitar is back from being sprayed and cured and it has had the bridge fitted...and last night was stung up for the first time.

Proper photos will follow, but this should give an idea of just how lovely a thing it is!

So, it's hanging on the wall with some fairly impressive company!

Looking a very nicely proportioned thing, and here you can see a glimpse of what that lovely sapele looks like.

Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 02-03-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
Proper photos will follow, but this should give an idea of just how lovely a thing it is!
This one looks even better in person... Unfortunately I left Ervin's just before Tom strung it but from the sound of the box I'd hazard a guess and say it will sound as good as it looks, congrats!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Gaffney View Post
This one looks even better in person... Unfortunately I left Ervin's just before Tom strung it but from the sound of the box I'd hazard a guess and say it will sound as good as it looks, congrats!
Thanks Julian. High praise indeed.

I'm sure it will look lovely hanging on the wall next to its two older siblings!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 AM

Tell me when I can get my hands on it!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-04-2017, 05:33 PM

Hi Adam - Simply gorgeous, yet again. I can't wait to here your review. Tom's work is impeccable.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Adam,

That looks absolutely astonishing. I was talking to Tom last week - really looking forward to mine.

Hopefully catch up soon - I'd love to experience the complete Sands triumvirate!

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:30 AM

Congratulations for such nice collection of Sands guitars.
Your future Mdd project guitar looks absolutely atonishing side by side with those Somogyis, that I consider are the best luthier guitars ever build.

Just looking at the pictures. The two guitars on the left seems to be an Om model and an Md model, but just have doubts about that, the size of that Md looks the same as the Sands. I know that Ervin is building an small Md too.

The guitar next to the MDM is an MDM Somogyi model or just an Md ?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:27 PM

I got to play this one tonight when I visited Ervin's to see Leo Buendia. (Leo is renting space there due to his current shop space being without power)

Tom had an 00 in Sitka/EIR and this Sapele Studio (MMD, Ervin calls them a Studio model apparently). This MMD It still needs to get finished with nut/saddle adjustments/shaving, so the action was very high, but it sounds exactly like what Tom was aiming for: a woody sounding guitar that has strong mids and sweetness in the highs. This one is fairly balanced but the mids really sing loudest and have the greatest sustain--they come out more after the sparkle/sweetness of the highs fades out. I think this one will should age quite nicely and the bass becomes more pronounced to balance out the tone. I imagine this being a great singer/songwriter guitar.

I liked the copper a lot more than I was expecting too--I thought it might look a bit janky, but it works for Tom's aesthetic.

From what I can gather off from his 2 guitars, Tom's voice is quite distinct from some of the other Somogyi apprentices in the Buendia/Kostal/Kraut vein. (And even among that side of the spectrum, there are some key tonal differences) I am having a hard time describing it, but I think it's a bit more fundamental focused than the others I've played--there are still overtones in the Somogyi tradition, but less so. Imagine that someone in Ervin's camp was a closet vintage tone junkie and the result of that is how I envision Tom's sound. (His 00 was very warm for an 00, which was a big surprise to me after I strummed it once) His headstock is more squared too, which matches that motif. Given the earlier threads of people not normally liking the Somogyi sound but liking Tom's, I think that's one of the reasons why. I'm not saying it's Somogyi light--just a different emphasis.

Adam, enjoy it for many years to come.

Last edited by SiliconValleySJ; 02-13-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:26 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous guitar. Wow!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpoTom View Post
From what I can gather off from his 2 guitars, Tom's voice is quite distinct from some of the other Somogyi apprentices in the Buendia/Kostal/Kraut vein. (And even among that side of the spectrum, there are some key tonal differences) I am having a hard time describing it, but I think it's a bit more fundamental focused than the others I've played--there are still overtones in the Somogyi tradition, but less so. Imagine that someone in Ervin's camp was a closet vintage tone junkie and the result of that is how I envision Tom's sound. (His 00 was very warm for an 00, which was a big surprise to me after I strummed it once) His headstock is more squared too, which matches that motif. Given the earlier threads of people not normally liking the Somogyi sound but liking Tom's, I think that's one of the reasons why. I'm not saying it's Somogyi light--just a different emphasis.
Thanks for the heads up from your visit. Very interesting. Tom is making me an OO right now, and it should be ready in about 3 months. I guess like Adam and some other early Sands customers, I am letting Tom do his own thing in most aspects of the build, relying on his experience with Ervin and his developing aesthetic to come up with a wonderful instrument. It is very exciting to be involved with a luthier at the early stage of his journey.
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop