The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Things that make you feel old...

At 64, soon 65, I feel like I'm in good shape, but then things come along that make me feel ooooold.

Besides looking in the mirror, how about when you have to enter your birth year on line, and need to scroll way down the list halfway back into the last century?

Tonight I watched the latest episode of Law and Order, guest starring Robert Vaughn. He played a spy in The Man from Uncle, which was one of my all time favorite TV shows in the mid to late 1960's. When I saw his name in the episode's description, I thought how cool. Well instead of being the virile, handsome secret agent I had watched with friends in high school, he was a really old writer with dementia. While recognizable, it was a shock to see him, now 82. And realize that if I'm fortunate to have more years on the planet, something to look forward to is an even more ancient appearance than I have today.

In the last scene, they show his photo on the back of one of his character's early books, and there was his young self, from his role as Napoleon Solo. Normally I'm fine with my age, and think that all things considered, things are going well. But for some reason, seeing that photo, caught me by surprise.

Anyway, a random thought to share. And are there things that come along by surprise that make you feel old, no matter what age you may be?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-27-2015, 12:53 AM

Only "no-women-situation" can make me feel old.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:12 AM

Its funny because I'm still quite young, but while watching an episode of friends the other day they mentioned their age, 28, which is how old I am. It was a weird feeling/realization of the existential kind, and made me think of the show differently. Might be the same type of feeling you experienced, but certainly feelings are never identical ;P... here we go, you've got me thinking existentially again... I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Gibson J15 Walnut Burst // Taylor 210 // Sigma 000m-15s // Washburn R320 // Guild g9100/g9110 (Ukes) // Epiphone M-30s (Mando)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Tonight I watched the latest episode of Law and Order, guest starring Robert Vaughn. He played a spy in The Man from Uncle, which was one of my all time favorite TV shows in the mid to late 1960's. When I saw his name in the episode's description, I thought how cool. Well instead of being the virile, handsome secret agent I had watched with friends in high school, he was a really old writer with dementia. While recognizable, it was a shock to see him, now 82.
Then this should make you feel even older...a new Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie is scheduled for release later this year!

Seems no-one in Movieland is capable of an original thought these days (and THAT makes me feel old).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 AM

well my friend I think one can only feel old in our head but beeing 20 years younger than you I think it would be diffcult in the future for me to think like that (I'll be 47 next June)
anyway there are some things that make me feel older one is my daughter, she's almost 22 (next March) and that feels like time goes fast. the other thing is traveling playing around Europe for several days, and because we're not rich we travel by car so at the end of the 3rd ou 4th day, if I kept the drinking and sex, drugs & rock'n'roll atittude ill be worn out very soon and I'll be very tired for the rest of the tour so for now I keep the drinking quite far away and try to rest the most i can......
P.S. sorry for my english
P.S. 2 Law and Order hein?!?!? that's TV series from the past century so you got to feel old don't you? even if it is a good show
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Hi ,I will be 67 in a few days.

I have been ill with some virus for two weeks, and had to cancel two talks and two gigs, and could not attend my own club last night.

I have allowed my beard to grow and whilst my (silly) moustache has been white for some time, the dirty grey beard that covers my pale grey sun denied face looks pretty sad.

Muscular and bone aches and pains become part of life, lung problems, heart irregularities - all become part of the every day.

My picking pals came over on Wednesday - I have no idea how long I've been playing with Mr Bob, and still feel that Ian our bass player is a new member, and then he said, "I remember when we were at your club one night and you were celebrating a birthday and saying that you were now older than your mother"! That must have been ten years ago!

Where does the time go?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:16 AM

The only place I seem to grow new hair are my ears.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 AM

Seeing pics of my old friends on Facebook. I've gradually accepted and gotten used to the changes in my appearance. But when I see pics of my friends, particularly women who used to be "hot", looking like Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies. And whom I likely wouldn't recognize if their names weren't there. I'm slammed with the reality that I'm the same age as they are.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:10 AM

Long story .... recovering from a relapse of IT Band Syndrome has made me grateful just to be walking around upright for good parts of the day without a cane . That's humbling , but I don't FEEL old . I hope this deep state of denial lasts another 20 years or so ...
Old 02-27-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
At 64, soon 65, I feel like I'm in good shape, but then things come along that make me feel ooooold.

Besides looking in the mirror, how about when you have to enter your birth year on line, and need to scroll way down the list halfway back into the last century?

Tonight I watched the latest episode of Law and Order, guest starring Robert Vaughn. He played a spy in The Man from Uncle, which was one of my all time favorite TV shows in the mid to late 1960's. When I saw his name in the episode's description, I thought how cool. Well instead of being the virile, handsome secret agent I had watched with friends in high school, he was a really old writer with dementia. While recognizable, it was a shock to see him, now 82. And realize that if I'm fortunate to have more years on the planet, something to look forward to is an even more ancient appearance than I have today.

In the last scene, they show his photo on the back of one of his character's early books, and there was his young self, from his role as Napoleon Solo. Normally I'm fine with my age, and think that all things considered, things are going well. But for some reason, seeing that photo, caught me by surprise.

Anyway, a random thought to share. And are there things that come along by surprise that make you feel old, no matter what age you may be?
Had the same thing happen to me the other year when Diana Rigg landed a spot on Game of Thrones. That made me feel old!!!!!!
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 AM

A few years ago, I went up to Elderly to pick up a guitar and the guy that plays mandolin with me went along for the trip. he's younger than me but has thick grey hair and beard. We stopped for lunch at a fast food place coming home and when he placed his order, the counter person asked for his "Senior Discount Card". He was bummed out about that all the way home and since then, whenever we eat out, I ask him to be sure and bring his senior discount card with him so I can get a cut rate.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
A few years ago, I went up to Elderly to pick up a guitar and the guy that plays mandolin with me went along for the trip. he's younger than me but has thick grey hair and beard. We stopped for lunch at a fast food place coming home and when he placed his order, the counter person asked for his "Senior Discount Card". He was bummed out about that all the way home and since then, whenever we eat out, I ask him to be sure and bring his senior discount card with him so I can get a cut rate.
That's another one. I admit that I was actually somewhere in the amazed to insulted range when I was 1st offered the Senior Discount. It's like graduating without knowing it. "Really? I'm a Senior now?" I guess I should've known by all the AARP mail I was getting.

Last edited by Fatstrat; 02-27-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:48 AM

My wife and I watched the movie "The Graduate" last night. I hadn't seen it since around the time it first came out. Seemed like only yesterday. However, watching Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross playing the young college-age lovers and realizing that they are now 77 and 75 years of age respectively made me wonder where indeed has the time gone.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-27-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
Its funny because I'm still quite young, but while watching an episode of friends the other day they mentioned their age, 28, which is how old I am. It was a weird feeling/realization of the existential kind, and made me think of the show differently. Might be the same type of feeling you experienced, but certainly feelings are never identical ;P... here we go, you've got me thinking existentially again... I'm not going to sleep tonight.
If I understand existentialism, it is existence over essence. Based on that concept, how did the episode give you an existential feeling?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

At 65, I find myself making references to things and getting blank stares back. As an example, yesterday I asked a co-worker to give me the "Reader's Digest version". She had no idea what I had just said......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic