The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-27-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Tasmania is an interesting place.
You don't have to worry if a snake there is venomous or non-venomous.

They're ALL venomous, they have no non-venomous snakes!
A popular business in New Orleans are snake exterminators. After floods, they take up residence in the houses and they have those nasty little "kiss your azz good-bye" coral snakes.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

In my back yard earlier this year.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
A popular business in New Orleans are snake exterminators. After floods, they take up residence in the houses and they have those nasty little "kiss your azz good-bye" coral snakes.
There are coral snakes in the southernmost reaches of Missouri, my home state, but they really don't bother anybody: they're pretty shy. Still, if there's one in your house and you step on it in the dark, I could see where that could have an unpleasant outcome.

Something that often gets overlooked is that plant and animal species are extending their ranges northwards these days, to the tune of around ten miles a year. The number of invasive species that have arrived in Alaska since I moved here in 1982 is either impressive or unnerving, depending on how you look at it. (I suppose that I could be categorized as an invasive species, myself!) But it's just a matter of time until we get snakes living in Alaska, at least in the more temperate areas like the Southeast Alaska panhandle.

Ticks are moving northwards, as well, as the climate warms. It used to be too cold for ticks in Alaska, but no longer. Some species of ticks are already here, but the deer ticks are what frighten me. Not just because of Lyme disease, but because of the devastation they're wreaking among the moose in the uppermost tier of northern states in the Lower 48. Deer and deer ticks evolved together, so deer have defenses against them. Moose have none, and are finding themselves as hosts of literally thousands of ticks:

I understand that some of the locals in those states with moose populations are calling the tick-afflicted moose "ghost moose," for the light greyish-white color that some of them have.

Because they have no defenses against ticks, many of these poor animals are literally starving to death. And it's only a matter of time before the deer ticks get up here to Alaska.

whm
Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post

That's an awfully clear photo considering it was taken by someone RUNNING FOR THEIR LIVES!... or is it stand still? I can never remember.

@wade, that's sad, what a terrible way for these animals to die. We lost our family dog to a lethal tick when I was growing up, we have some killer ticks here.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

What a great photo, that is a nice healthy bruin

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

And here is a not-so-good picture in my yard. This was the last time we hung suet or bird food for that matter.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:21 PM

After Paul posted this photo:

˙˙˙

Alex wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6strings View Post
That's an awfully clear photo considering it was taken by someone RUNNING FOR THEIR LIVES!... or is it stand still? I can never remember.
My educated guess is that Paul took that photo from either an elevated deck or a window. We have a deck on the second story of our house, and that's where I was standing when the mama bear came through our yard. I was thinking "I'm only eight feet from this animal, and she can move fast!!" Fortunately she wasn't looking for musicians to snack on, and quickly went on her way, but I nipped inside right quick, in case she changed her mind.

Anyway, standard procedure with bears is to stand tall, try to make yourself look bigger than you are, and speak in a command voice, the way you would with a mean dog. Never, EVER run. That triggers their chase instinct.

If none of that helps, you can play dead with brown bears (grizzlies) and while they may bat you around, they probably won't eat you. But black bears will.

Then, referring to the tick-infected moose, Alex wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6strings View Post
@wade, that's sad, what a terrible way for these animals to die. We lost our family dog to a lethal tick when I was growing up, we have some killer ticks here.
It's ghastly. I realize that some folks still believe climate change to be unproven, but it's happening up here about three times as fast as it is in the Lower 48, and we see its effects on a daily basis. As I mentioned, our moose haven't been hit by ticks in the same overwhelming way as these poor animals in New Hampshire and Maine, but it's only a matter of time before the deer ticks get up here.

It's going to be devastating when they arrive. Moose are a major food source in Alaska, especially for the villagers living subsistence lifestyles in remote regions. The trend towards this is simply appalling.

whm
Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 PM

Here's the police advisory that the Anchorage Police Department released this morning:

Bear sighting calls increase; here's what you need to know
Due to the recent bear attacks in the Municipality of Anchorage and the State of Alaska, there has been an increase in 9-1-1 calls about bears to Dispatch.

In partnership with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADFG), we have a friendly reminder about when to make wild animal reports. Most wildlife sightings, such as bears, don’t need to be reported to 9-1-1. For example, there is no need to call if the animal is passing through the area, walking on the side of the road or exhibiting other natural behaviors. However, if the animal poses an immediate threat to public safety, please call 9-1-1.

Here are some additional details on the type of wildlife encounters we want to know about:

1) Injured or sick animals
2) Animals in trash
3) Humans injured by wildlife
4) Aggressive or bold animals
5) Orphaned animals
6) Sightings of brown bears in Anchorage

For non-emergency wildlife encounters, you can submit an online report to the ADFG at https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...encounter.main

Additionally, ADFG offices can be contacted by phone. It is recommended that you contact the office closest to the area where the animal was encountered. You can find a full list of ADFG offices here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=contacts.main. The main Anchorage ADFG office phone number is 907-267-2257.

Right now, one of the most common bear reports have been about trash. It is a violation of state law to leave human food or pet food out in such a way that it attracts wildlife. Secure all garbage and other items, such as BBQ grills and fish guts. Keep your yard clean. Use electronic fences for all livestock such as chickens and bee hives. Be a good steward of your community and encourage your neighbors to do the same.

Other tips:
Always be aware of your surroundings. If you encounter wildlife, give them plenty of space. Maintain a safe distance. Don’t linger in the area. Avoid wearing headphones/earbuds or texting while walking. Travel with a group when possible.

Address/Location
Anchorage Police Department
4501 Elmore Road
Anchorage, AK 99507

Contact
Emergency: 9-1-1
Non-emergencies: 907-786-8900
Old 06-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
After Paul posted this photo:

My educated guess is that Paul took that photo from either an elevated deck or a window.

whm
Good guess Wade. Standing just outside the back door with a zoom lens.

And I've been told the same thing from my wildlife friends --- look big and never run.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:48 PM

Derailing the train

Last edited by Alex6strings; 06-29-2017 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:22 PM

Here's the latest installment of bear activities in Anchorage: earlier this week a black bear burst through a glass window into an 11 year old's bedroom, which was occupied by the kid at the time:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wild...uth-anchorage/

It happened around 10:45 pm, which is still full daylight this time of year up here. The window was closed and had black curtains covering it, and the fish and game guys think that the bear saw its own reflection and attacked it.

whm
Old 07-02-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
And I've been told the same thing from my wildlife friends --- look big and never run.
Basic predator psychology: if it runs at you, it is a threat; if it runs away, it is food. Either way, the immediate reaction is to intercept.

Another thing that seems to apply to all predators is that staring is a challenge: "I'm badder than you". The other party may well decide to find out who's bad.

I've understood that bears get on their hind legs just to see better. They move much better on four legs.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 07-02-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I've understood that bears get on their hind legs just to see better. They move much better on four legs.
Oh, definitely. A few years ago I was driving in an area with tall grass and trees, near Cook Inlet on the west side of Anchorage, when a mama bear and two cubs came through the tall grass and walked across the road in front of my vehicle. (Which I'd stopped, naturally.) They'd crossed the road on four feet, but then the mother stopped, turned around and stood on her hind legs, looking at the tall grass she'd just passed through.

Then, sure enough, the grass swayed and parted and out popped a third cub, which trotted over to its mother. She dropped down to all fours and they resumed their travel.

All the times I've seen bears moving quickly, it's been on all fours.

whm
Old 07-02-2017, 04:24 AM

You do have to wonder how many hikers and campers that go "missing" ended up as bruin take-out. One hiker in Montana was missing for a year until a ranger found their super 8 movie camera. They developed the film in it and found the last they filmed was a bear charging.

Not just bears. A friend of mine grew up in Santa Cruz, CA and was surfing about when he learned to walk. Surfers and swimmers went missing and local authorities would call it drowning. Some time later, someone finds a piece of a board with huge bite marks in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic