The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-24-2017, 06:33 AM

Default STRINGS FOR TUNED-DOWN EMERALD X20

I think that I'm about 5 weeks out from receiving my X20 Artisan. Sean at Emerald is aware that my intention is to tune the guitar down 1/2 step. This works out a lot better for my voice, at least with my Taylor 616, which came with medium, 13-56 Elixir PB's. The decreased tension plays great and doesn't seem to affect projection. Has anyone tried medium strings on their X20 when tuned down a half step? The tension should match the regular tuning with the light strings, I think.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-25-2017, 07:05 AM

I have not used Mediums on my X20 when tuned down 1/2 step but I have used Lights (.011-.052) tuned down 1/2 step and more.
I did not notice any ill effects when I tuned down using lights ( no fret buzz, I did not need to tweak the truss rod).
I did use String Tension Pro
http://www.stringtensionpro.com/
to get an idea of what combined string tension I was dealing with.
With light gauge strings (.011-.052) tuned down to D - G - C - F - A - d, the combined tension was 114.66 pounds. Tuning down more than 1 step with light strings felt too loose for my taste, so what ever string set gauge and tuning I was experimenting with, I would use String Tension Pro and not use a combined string tension less than 114 pounds.
Currently on my X20 I use extra light gauge strings (.010-.048) at normal tuning, which works out to 119.41 pounds, according to String Tension Pro.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 06-25-2017, 10:39 AM

StringTensionPro is great. Especially if you don't want to harm your guitar. Medium Elixer PB's tuned down a half step would raise total tension about 6lbs. compared to the factory lights. It's good to hear that the sound and projection with the X20's factory lights doesn't suffer when tuned down. I'd love to avoid any work on the nut's string slots. So, I'll take my time and see how things sound when it arrives.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-26-2017, 08:34 AM

I've tuned it down a 1/2 step with lights to help save my hand when playing a longish set. I have a pretty low setup and I notice a little more buzzing, but it doesn't bother me enough to change anything else. I don't think anyone else noticed any difference in the sound and the dropped tuning. At least I haven't yet heard a comment.

I also sometimes play out with my Lucky 13. I have a low saddle there too and tried dropping the tuning a 1/2 step once and have chosen not to do it again. Too much buzz.

Each guitar experience is different, so YMMV depending on your set up and playing style.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:12 AM

I have been tuning my X20 down a full step, to DAFCGD, for nearly a year. I use Martin mediums, I forget what flavor, and I have no issues, other than my own clumsiness.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 PM

Many of my guitars now wear mediums, and some are tuned down a whole step -- standard D-d. I also use several alternate tunings that slacken many of the strings (which is why I converted to medium's in the first place). A light gauge bass "E" string gets pretty floppy when loosened down to C.

As has been said already, the overall tension of mediums tuned down to Eb are about the same as lights at concert pitch. Go as far as you can without excess buzzing for your playing style. I've done a lot of experimenting with alternate sets over the last year or two, using heavier strings tuned down, and find the D'Addario tension tables and on-line tension calculators to be useful.

Note: the looser you get, any intonation issues become more obvious.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:01 PM

EARL49, the half-step down seems to be where I like it with the Taylor. I'm expecting the Emerald to, likewise, sound and play just fine, tuned down. Part of me feels that medium strings, at least at concert pitch, have a sound with more "guts" than most guitars with light strings. Sure, there are a ton of variables involved but I suspect an X20 tuned down a half with mediums might sound even better than the factory set-up at concert tuning. It's just great to hear how so many are happy with the guitar strung and tuned in a lot of ways.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-30-2017, 11:15 AM

I regularly tune my X20 down a whole step with medium gauge Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. But I don't stop there – I can go as low as Bb with various Hawaiian slack key tunings.

I wouldn't expect to be able to strum extremely hard with my low tunings, but your half step should be no problem.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:13 PM

If it turns out that the medium strings I'm using for the Taylor 616 work well on the X20, tuned down, that would be a convenience. All of you with big collections to keep strings in stock for amaze me.

Thanks to all of you for your input!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber