The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Yes. Jim is right. The X20 is LOUD, to the player. Just tried one. Can Emerald design a sound hole plug to reduce the sound hole? Really, it is loud.
When I first played my X20, I was surprised by how much sound came out of that guitar! (I think I may have even questioned whether one could play this guitar quietly?) I have to say I would not want to reduce or change that wonderful tone in any way.

Spend some time with it, and you adapt your attack to control the volume and tone, unplugged. The X20 is very versatile.

A sound hole plug to reduce or change the flow of sound on this guitar would be like putting a throttle governor on a Ferrari!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:47 AM

A removable one, for that versatility
Old 06-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
A removable one, for that versatility
With the design of the X20 soundhole, it appears to me that it would be real tough if not impossible to create any sort of plug. The X20 seems to be having great success, likely in part because of the design of the soundhole and what it offers to the player. I could be wrong, but if the X20 soundhole wasn't designed as it is...open from the upper bout of the side and extending around over the top...the soundhole would appear very close to the top soundhole of the Chimaera. For those who may not want that 'in your face' volume experience, I wonder if Emerald can build an X20 with a Chimaera-like soundhole. Maybe then a smaller Blackbird-type hole and plug could be applied on the side, or not as desired. Perhaps possible at a cost? Wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I can confirm that the X7 works great for my style, which is strumming and flat picking. While playing with a friend, using my X7 and X20, unplugged, I could always hear both guitars just fine.

I find I tend to play the X20 a bit "softer," perhaps because of the more upward projection with that soundhole. I don't beat on my guitars, but I do dig in when the song calls for it. Certainly, the X20 is a bigger sound, but the X7 can rock!
Thanks for that info on strumming an X7, Captain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber