The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent
Question Vintage Archtop String Suggestions

Hello all, I have a 1951 Epiphone Zenith that I acquired a few months ago. It's currently strung up with Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum's (the AC112 set - 12 thru 59) and I've enjoyed them and the sound they make on this entirely acoustic (with Fishman bridge pickup) guitar... but it's time to replace them and I'm giving some thought to what to put on her next as this is a fairly new guitar to me and my only entirely acoustic arch top.

Any ideas gratefully received.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:20 PM

A picture would be great! Walnut back and sides? Carved top?

If the guitar is in good shape you should have no worries about tension, and a set of 80/20 or phosphor bronze will bring out some different qualities compared to what you have. With regard to strings I treat my full acoustic archtops just like I'd treat my flattops.. which means I try lots of different kinds of strings!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-15-2014, 12:02 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Just an iPhone snap I made when I first got it... needs the proper treatment soon:

Carved spruce top, maple back and sides. Wide lower bout. Headstock is the 'deco block':

Old 08-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Oh my! Beautiful. And good condition. I used to have a close cousin of that one, a '46 Blackstone, that now resides with my daughter.

I don't know your experience level, but perhaps I should of added on my first post: don't feel that archtops need flat wounds or half rounds. Some archtop players like flatwounds but I don't believe it is a majority choice. Flatwounds give up so much acoustic tone just to get rid of the finger noise. That's a good choice for some kinds of playing / guitars, but most likely not for a guitar like yours.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-15-2014, 08:42 AM

Give the Elixir brand a try,I have them on my Deluxe accoustic Campellone...I like the smoothness...
Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
... don't feel that archtops need flat wounds or half rounds. Some archtop players like flatwounds but I don't believe it is a majority choice. Flatwounds give up so much acoustic tone just to get rid of the finger noise.
Yeah, I only use a flat wound mix on my oldest parlour guitar. They suit that very well and have a little less tension than a regular set of lights.

Quote:
Give the Elixir brand a try,I have them on my Deluxe acoustic Campellone
Any particular Elixirs, kayak man? I use Elixirs on most everything else...
Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
...I used to have a close cousin of that one, a '46 Blackstone, that now resides with my daughter...
Same here, except I traded mine on an early post-war script-logo L-7 (Serial # A-1xx) - turned up later in the Fisch and Fred book (#54362). BTW I used 14-59 PB's, as I did/do on all my acoustic archtops and as they did back in the day - with a good setup they play like mediums, and you'll get to hear why those old Epis were legendary for their cutting power.....
Old 08-15-2014, 01:00 PM

80/20 bronze light medium....
Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

orsimple pb ej17s - that's what I use on my '34 l-4
Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakman View Post
80/20 bronze light medium....
Alright, they're on... let's see how they in the morning.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 AM

I've had several acoustic arch tops (currently a 17" '58 Kay), tried all sorts of strings and feel flat wounds (especially Thomastik Infelds) are tonally superior, give you better punch & projection, are more balanced and have none of the bronze harshness. They also outlast anything else (including coated strings) if you wipe them off after playing.

To my ear wound bronze strings of any type sound awful on archtops

As always, YMMV.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sliff View Post
I've had several acoustic arch tops (currently a 17" '58 Kay), tried all sorts of strings and feel flat wounds (especially Thomastik Infelds) are tonally superior, give you better punch & projection, are more balanced and have none of the bronze harshness. They also outlast anything else (including coated strings) if you wipe them off after playing.

To my ear wound bronze strings of any type sound awful on archtops

As always, YMMV.
What Guage may I ask?
Old 08-27-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
That is a beautiful guitar! Would love to hear it (not to mention play it ).

FWIW, I've pretty much settled on 80/20s for my archtop. The PBs I use on my flattops are too bright and zingy, didn't care for nickel strings either, and wanted to like flats but couldn't.

How are the 80/20s on yours?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Flat wound TI's .013's with a substituted wound .018 b string. Make it earn it's pay!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM

i've been using nickel plated round wound SIT or TI 12's on my solid wood arch tops. i've tried Elexirs but i find them too bright. I also use flat wound 12's on all my laminate arch tops. Try them all and see what you like best. every guitar is different.

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops