The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Default TC Polytune clip-on tuners

Since Amazon is giving $8.62 off every order over $50 {That's today, Wednesday only} I thought it would be a good time to get a clip-on Polytune. I don't really understand the difference between the "basic ?" one for $49 and the black one for $92.35. The black one looks better but not enough to make me pay almost twice as much. I'd only be using it for guitar and rarely use other tunings.
Thanks for your replies.

Code at Amazon to get the discount is 'BIGTHANKS'
Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaokemonk View Post
Since Amazon is giving $8.62 off every order over $50 {That's today, Wednesday only} I thought it would be a good time to get a clip-on Polytune. I don't really understand the difference between the "basic ?" one for $49 and the black one for $92.35. The black one looks better but not enough to make me pay almost twice as much. I'd only be using it for guitar and rarely use other tunings.
Thanks for your replies.

Code at Amazon to get the discount is 'BIGTHANKS'
The black one is black.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 PM

for anyone teetering on the edge,

go for it,

the Polytune is a proper pro quality tuner that will stand up to regular use, and TC knows this, the price will keep going up.

great deal
Old 02-22-2017, 02:13 PM

I didn't pay any extra for my black one—don't know why they have that listed so expensively. It appears to be an outside seller.

I have bought a bunch of tuners, including the Peterson Strobo-clip. The TC is my favorite so far. One thing I really like is that it auto-senses whether it's on the front or back and adjusts its display accordingly.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:19 PM

I just got one of Polytune clip tuners in black. I works great...I love the display.

Just an FYI...if you are ordering anything from Musicians Friend it always pays to call them. Sometimes they will apply coupons. I saved 12% off the tuner that way.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:30 PM

I agree with the folks on this thread who've extolled the merits of the TC Polytune Clip tuners. For several years the Snark tuners were the best easy-to-use clip on tuners on the market, but the TC Polytune Clips are more accurate. I was introduced to them by the owner of the Music Villa in Bozeman, Montana last September, and though I kind of winced at the price I decided to be brave and buy one.

I'm glad I did. I own three of them now, one each in the case pockets of my main performing mandolin, my acoustic baritone guitar and whichever standard six string guitar I'm using most at the moment. Which in recent months has been my Martin D-18.

The mandolin and baritone guitar are always problematic when it comes to getting them precisely in tune, the mandolin because of the tension and the paired string courses, and the baritone because of the lower register. The TC Polytune simply works better on those instruments than any of my Snark tuners do.

I'm not going to get a TC Polytune Clip for the case pocket of every frequently used instrument I own, the way I did with the Snarks: the Polytune just costs too much to do that. But it's a superb tuner, and well worth the money, in my opinion.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

No Affiliation but ----- As an FYI, there is a vendor on Reverb that lists them brand new for 41.99, free shipping and accepts offers. I've purchased a couple for $36 from them.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:39 PM

Amazon is giving $8.62 off all orders over $50 today (Wed) only.

Coupon code BIGTHANKS

But the item is $49/ So I guess you need to add something for $1.00?

Last edited by JakeStone; 02-22-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:45 PM

Yes I was going to add dryer sheets that cost $1.60 or so but I'm gong to check out the Reverb add first.
Thanks to all for your input!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:31 PM

Interesting , just posted the other day that Guitar Center had them on sale for $ 39.99 and nobody seemed to notice.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:50 PM

I agree, the Polytune is my main tuner and, like Wade, I'm not buying one for each guitar case, it is the mustard. There are no seconds IMO.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:50 PM

Does anybody know how well they work with 12 string guitars?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I go between my PT & my Peterson Stroboclip on both of my 12 strings; they work fine (although the PT is certainly easier to tune to at first).
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman
Old 02-22-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
Does anybody know how well they work with 12 string guitars?
Very well.

I think the strobotune app from Petersen does a little better, but you need a quiet room, since it uses the mic in you phone or tablet to tune.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 02-22-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I agree with the folks on this thread who've extolled the merits of the TC Polytune Clip tuners. For several years the Snark tuners were the best easy-to-use clip on tuners on the market, but the TC Polytune Clips are more accurate. I was introduced to them by the owner of the Music Villa in Bozeman, Montana last September, and though I kind of winced at the price I decided to be brave and buy one.

I'm glad I did. I own three of them now, one each in the case pockets of my main performing mandolin, my acoustic baritone guitar and whichever standard six string guitar I'm using most at the moment. Which in recent months has been my Martin D-18.

The mandolin and baritone guitar are always problematic when it comes to getting them precisely in tune, the mandolin because of the tension and the paired string courses, and the baritone because of the lower register. The TC Polytune simply works better on those instruments than any of my Snark tuners do.

I'm not going to get a TC Polytune Clip for the case pocket of every frequently used instrument I own, the way I did with the Snarks: the Polytune just costs too much to do that. But it's a superb tuner, and well worth the money, in my opinion.

Wade Hampton Miller

Early adopter here! But I still only have one....

Wade, could you put all three on one guitar and let us know how close to each other they are calibrated, please?
For example, 3 PW hygros are 15% out.....

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion