The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Default My tale of woe with my ES2 system - (spoiler) happy ending! lol

I recently bought a Taylor 612ce with the new ES2 system. Right after buying it, I had my tech shave just a tad off the saddle to get the action the way I like it. I watched him do it. He removed the saddle without backing off the three screws that hold pressure for the pickup to saddle. Later, I happened to see a video on youtube that said to always back these screws off when removing the saddle. So I called him and he said that he's never done it that way. I figured he knew a hell of a lot more about than I did, so I just put it to rest.
Last night, I sat in with a group of old musician friends and my guitar had almost no volume. I completed my set by borrowing a friends Gibson. But, you have to know....the situation with my 612ce was eating at my brain the whole time I was playing and singing!
This morning I decided to tackle the problem. So firstly, I went back to Taylors' video on youtube. Not only do they show you how to adjust it, but also how to remove the pickup and reinstall it. Little did I know, I'd be needing that info shortly. lol
First, I backed off the screws, then brought them in till they were snug and gave them the extra 1/4 turn. It still didn't have much volume. So, I decided to remove the saddle and visually inspect things to make sure nothing else was wrong. All appeared ok to my inexperienced eye, so I put it all back together. Upon inserting an allen wrench into the first screw, the whole pickup system fell out. YIKES!
Reviewing the video again in great detail made me feel comfortable with what I was now dealing with. After loosening the strings, I got my hand inside. Found the pickup and reinserted it until the screws were flush. Brought the pressure on the screws in until they were snug, and gave them the 1/4 turn more as suggested. Tuned up...plugged in, and all was wonderful again.
It may be a good idea to take a look at the Taylor youtube called ES2 adjustment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLzGXaaM1lc if you have a Taylor with the ES2 system. I know I am now a lot more comfortable with it now that I understand it better.
Just trying to pass along some info that may be helpful to someone.
~ Hal
Yamaha FG300
Gretsch Honeydripper Resonator
Ibanez AEG 10NII
~ Hal
Old 02-22-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Never ceases to amaze me that many folks just don't take the time to actually read up on their gear to find out how it will work at its best...

So many unfortunate, angst-causing issues can be sidestepped by just reading the doggoned manual that comes with the equipment! I have been guilty of this, many times; after all, I HAVE been playing guitar for over 5 decades and performing for over 4 decades, so I KNOW WHAT'S WHAT with gear...

...well, not ALWAYS, it turns out!

VERY glad you have a pickup that works for you!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Default Old dog...new tricks! lol

You must be from the same era that I'm from. Yes, it does pay to read up! I got this guitar around 1 week ago and mistakenly thought I was in a "plug & play" situation. All that works great ....until it doesn't. Fortunately for me, the learning curve was quick. I thought I had already figured out the problem on the ride home. After reviewing everything I had read and watched on youtube, I was reasonably sure that what I was facing was a minor setback. Knowing how exactly everything interacts within the system will sure go a long way to heading off such problems in the future.
~ HAL
Yamaha FG300
Ibanez AEG 10NII
~ Hal
Old 02-22-2017, 02:40 PM

I'm surprised pulling the saddle without backing off the pickups has'nt permanently damaged them. Taylor make a big thing of explaining this as the ES pickups contact the sides of the saddle, not underneath.

you got away with it, apparently these pickups work 100% or not at all so theres no chance of partial damage and them working below par.

being a Taylor fanboy, I've some experience with them, The tendency is to set them too tight against the saddle to get maximum output, this will also pick up a lot of handling noise and string noise, IME Backing off the tiny screws a little, can make a huge difference

Glad it worked out well
Old 02-22-2017, 05:52 PM

Glad things came out OK..... not sure I understand lowering the saddle on a Taylor though. One thing I like about Taylors - close to perfect setup when they turn it loose.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 02-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

All else fails read the directions.

If at first you dont succeed do it the way your wife told you in the first place.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:24 AM

Hey, thanks so much for this - was going to post a question you answered.

Got my 414CE today in the mail. Cleaned up and restrung - it's astounding! However, when I was cleaning and turned it the bridge fell out. Seemed pretty weird but I've never had a Taylor (or any really nice guitar) and thought maybe it was part of the design. Then, when I plugged it in, I couldn't seem to hear it even when I turned up the volume knob. Couldn't get it to amplify loud.

After reading this I'm guessing that I face a similar issue. Will investigate and watch the video.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:52 AM

Me too is one of the uneducated ignorant Taylor owners.
I got into Taylor last year, have 3 now and I never knew.
Thanks a lot for sharing the story and the video!
cheers
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 PM

Sorry I took so long getting back to you on this. Yes, I agree, Taylor comes as close as possible to putting out an instrument that has a close to perfect setup when it leaves the factory. I play blues and sometimes have to "spank" a string for effect. When doing this, I don't always want the volume of that note to be a great deal louder than the other notes in that run. The lowering allows you to do this and not have to have a substantial increase in volume. Granted, there are times when I do want this note to stand out, and I'm still able to do this. When I say the saddle was lowered, we're talking about a slight smudge on the emory paper when it is sanded down. I mean....we're talking just a hair! Hope this helps.
~ HAL
Yamaha FG300
Ibanez AEG 10NII
~ Hal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification