The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 AM

Default Advice for starting them young

I've been playing guitar off and on for the past 25 years, but was mostly a "song learner" vs. a "guitar theory and skill" learner. Over the past year or so, that's shifted and I spend a good hour or so working on specific theory and application most days.

My 8 year old son LOVES to listen (to me and to recorded music), but isn't interested in playing. However, my 4 year old son is constantly joining me and asking to play the guitars.

We just got him his first real instrument - a cheap, perfectly functional ukulele - and he's been strumming, singing, and carrying it with him non-stop for a solid 4 days since it arrived.

Seeing him show interest in and excitement for making music is fantastic!

So far, he's been very happy just jammin' away and the teaching as been limited to "here's how you hold it" and "here's a single-finger C chord for Old MacDonald Had A Farm".

Have any of you worked with young children before? At this point, should I just let him play his own way unless he asks for guidance?

Any advice for good approaches that will teach him the basics while still giving him the freedom to be passionate and excited would be greatly appreciated.

Blueridge BR-160A
Blueridge BR-163A
VoyageAir VAOM-04
Fender FSR Standard Strat
Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 AM

In my experience if you play with him sometimes, he might ask you "how to do that?" That's what happened with my grandson.
As far as showing him or offering to...why not? If he declines give him time. From what you said, he probably will ask you sooner or later.
Nothing more fun than watching the discovery and going along for the ride!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 AM

I think just encouraging and teaching one or 2 chords in short 'bouts' I started piano by ear at age 5 and at age 6 was going for lessons. I eventually stopped after doing grade 6 theory. My wife can also play the guitar and both kids have an interest.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM

He's doing great if you can get him to hold a single finger chord at 4.

My son is 4, he's had a toy Ukulele since he was 2 and has had a plastic First Act guitar for close to a year now.

He will strum it like a madman but I haven't really been able to get him to do anything with his left hand. Then again he doesn't like listening to his Mother or I on things like this, he seems to listen to other adults more. He does the same thing with stuff like swimming.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 AM

So what we've done. is create a music room. I have about 4 guitars in there. 2 are 3/4 Ibanezes and I got 2 little Ashton Ukes. We have some tamborines, djembe drums a mini drum kit and Yamaha elec piano. As the kids hear me practising or recording something they will come in and almost copy or ask questions etc.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
He's doing great if you can get him to hold a single finger chord at 4.

My son is 4, he's had a toy Ukulele since he was 2 and has had a plastic First Act guitar for close to a year now.

He will strum it like a madman but I haven't really been able to get him to do anything with his left hand. Then again he doesn't like listening to his Mother or I on things like this, he seems to listen to other adults more. He does the same thing with stuff like swimming.
Get used to that "not listening" thing. Wait until he hits the teen years...oh boy

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 AM

We're playing songs now. singing etc. But the thing that has helped the most, is lessons from a friend of mine that is a fantastic player and very patient. we find the exact same thing. My kids are 4 and 6, and already know better or don't want to listen. but they Listen to Uncle Ty, and then I just encourage and jam with them.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedWingFlyer View Post
he's been strumming, singing, and carrying it with him non-stop for a solid 4 days since it arrived.

Congratulations! He's got the bug!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM

No personal experience, since I never really tried to work w/my son 'til he was 5-6th grade, when he showed some interest. But my gut is any fretted instrument is pretty tough for little kids. I think fretless (like a fiddle) is actually better, since they can use their ears more.

Anyway, I just gave a birthday gift to a friend's 3yo, who has showed a lot of musical interest and he LOVES it, and will likely be able to make music on it quite soon. These are designed for kids and are GREAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDYd1xJl9Ns

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...onica-key-of-c
Old 02-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Default kids

Try to always make it fun for them. Give them something they can accomplish and feel pride in. If they can contribute to a family jam or play with friends, they will love that the most. Don't push it on them. Instead let them come to you, not that you can't nudge. If they don't like it now, they may in a year or tow - and vice versa.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
...I just gave a birthday gift to a friend's 3yo, who has showed a lot of musical interest and he LOVES it, and will likely be able to make music on it quite soon. These are designed for kids and are GREAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDYd1xJl9Ns

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...onica-key-of-c
This is awesome! It's been added to my "Birthday Ideas for the Boys" list. :-)

I've also made a couple of strum sticks for other people's kids and they seem to love them, as well. They're fantastic stringed instruments that make everything really easy for both kids and adults.

https://strumstick.com/pages/what-is-a-strumstick

Blueridge BR-160A
Blueridge BR-163A
VoyageAir VAOM-04
Old 02-22-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBodd View Post
So what we've done. is create a music room. I have about 4 guitars in there. 2 are 3/4 Ibanezes and I got 2 little Ashton Ukes. We have some tamborines, djembe drums a mini drum kit and Yamaha elec piano. As the kids hear me practising or recording something they will come in and almost copy or ask questions etc.
THIS!

I make (most) of my living as a communication consultant and voiceover artist. Half of my home office/studio is filled with some pretty ridiculous recording gear, a vocal booth, my standup desk, and other work-ish stuff. The other half is filled with guitars, ukes, mandolins, a comfy couch, a plush rug, and a big flatscreen TV.

My boys are always in here hanging out with me, unless I'm on a phone call or recording in the booth. My oldest didn't have that constant exposure to *making* music when he was younger; my 4 year old has literally been around music *making* since before he was born.

Edit to add: The boys know that the instruments hanging on the wall at their level or sitting on the floor are fair game for them to grab and play. My "nice stuff" hangs above their heads. But, to your point, maybe I'll add a couple of harmonicas, a drum or two, a tambourine, etc., that would be super kid-friendly.

Blueridge BR-160A
Blueridge BR-163A
VoyageAir VAOM-04
Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM

That's exactly it Fixed wing flyer. all the instruments they can play are at their height. they have their own amps and mics and speakers. And then we have the longue suite corner unit. We'll sometimes go in there at 11am and at about 6 I'll realise it's almost supper time. lol
Old 02-22-2017, 04:47 PM

Whats wrong with being a song learner ?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:45 PM

I think at the age your kids are at, as long as they have access to touch the instruments when they want, then they'll have fun. I have two boys and after they showed real interest in music we found a fantastic teacher. A great teacher will make learning fun and make huge progress in no time. My oldest (13) plays mandolin and my youngest (10) fiddle. After 3 years of lessons, I can barely keep up with my oldest, who just turned 13.

The thought of my kids growing up playing music is what drove me to start playing 6 years ago. My youngest was 4 then and we all started on ukuleles and moved on from there. It has been wonderful for us a family and we have met many wonderful folks because of music.

Here is a video of me and my oldest pickin' a tune:

Last edited by Elisdad; 02-22-2017 at 07:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion