The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 AM

Default low input volume recording using Yamaha thr 5

on a clean tone and USB setting set to 5, max master. gain at around 10 o'clock, the guitar input in Cubase or audacity/reaper is very low.

adding gain distorts the sound (same if I add it post recording).

however using an rocksmith realtone cable or ur22 from steinberg produces loud recording volume that I even have to set the input volume on the software down.

any thoughts on this? how I can get an louder clean tone from this amp?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebee View Post
on a clean tone and USB setting set to 5, max master. gain at around 10 o'clock, the guitar input in Cubase or audacity/reaper is very low.

however using an rocksmith realtone cable or ur22 from steinberg produces loud recording volume that I even have to set the input volume on the software down.

Sorry read this thru 3 times and still have clue what you are talking about. Perhaps start again with good bit more detail

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here's how Yamaha describes the "Clean" tone on that amp:
Rich clean tones from a 6L6 power section with early breakup for incredible jazz, blues and country sounds.

It doesn't sound like it's meant to give you a high volume clean tone so you may have to use a different amp to get there.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Sorry read this thru 3 times and still have clue what you are talking about. Perhaps start again with some detail
sorry about that.

I'm trying to record all guitar track using the Yamaha thr5 (and for simplicity using an electric guitar) plugged into the amp.

guitar > amp > pc > thr5 editor >cubase/audacity

when I record, the settings on the amp and thr 5 editor are all maxed in terms of USB volume and master, with gain just enough to not have any distortion effect on a clean tone.

however, on play back (and the wave input on cubase/audacity) the sound recorded is very low compared to say

guitar > realtone cable or ur22 > pc

where the sound recorded is at the right volume (sometimes I need to quiet it down as well).

I apologize if my terminology is off, as I'm a bit new to this.

Also the reason I'm using the thr5 is for the amp Sims which I can't use with realtone or ur22.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Here's how Yamaha describes the "Clean" tone on that amp:
Rich clean tones from a 6L6 power section with early breakup for incredible jazz, blues and country sounds.

It doesn't sound like it's meant to give you a high volume clean tone so you may have to use a different amp to get there.
the thing is, with just the amp and not recording the volume is fine and comparable to the other settings, it's just when it's recording that both the stereo and DI output fails to produce a louder sound.

well, when all else fails I'm afraid I'll just mic it, just kind of bummed at the results as I love the amp already on its own
Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
sorry about that.

I'm trying to record all guitar track using the Yamaha thr5 (and for simplicity using an electric guitar) plugged into the amp.

guitar > amp > pc > thr5 editor >cubase/audacity

when I record, the settings on the amp and thr 5 editor are all maxed in terms of USB volume and master, with gain just enough to not have any distortion effect on a clean tone.

however, on play back (and the wave input on cubase/audacity) the sound recorded is very low compared to say

guitar > realtone cable or ur22 > pc

where the sound recorded is at the right volume (sometimes I need to quiet it down as well).

I apologize if my terminology is off, as I'm a bit new to this.

Also the reason I'm using the thr5 is for the amp Sims which I can't use with realtone or ur22.

Ah ok I am not familiar with that amp BUT what you are describing sounds like a "gain staging" problem, now where it is occurring is the question

Have you tried by passing the tru5 editor ,and just going straight into cubase ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-09-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah ok I am not familiar with that amp BUT what you are describing sounds like a "gain staging" problem, now where it is occurring is the question

Have you tried by passing the tru5 editor ,and just going straight into cubase ?
I did and it's the same level

Old 02-11-2017, 12:12 AM

I have the thr-10c. I have not used it for recording yet, but recall reading about one criticism when I was researching them. You have the gain and master knobs on the left side, then the overall guitar volume on the right. I don't recall where I read this but the overall volume knob controls the output to usb - hence into your DAW. It means if you are trying to record quietly at night so as not to disturb others, you get a weak input signal. Try turning that volume knob up while connected to the pc and see how you go. Also, they can send two stereo tracks to your DAW - one with effects and one dry so you can choose other effects from plug ins etc.
Overall it really is a fun little amp. Good luck with your recording.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 PM

thanks, what I did was to normalize the track in Cubase which helped, although I had to do this everytime.

using headphones made it easier as I can get louder and record louder but the sound of course changed from what I'm hearing to what is being recorded

Old 10-05-2017, 04:31 AM

Thread resurrection!
So I have finally tried recording through the THR-10C.
This is with my Tele, trying to get a clean sound through the amp so the 'gain' was set about 12.00 and 'master' about 4.00.
I'm having difficulty getting a hot enough signal with Audacity through USB. Even normalising did not get a hot enough signal.
Adjusting 'guitar' or USB/Aux does not change the signal going to the computer through USB. the only thing that changes the signal going through USB is 'gain' or 'master' - or amp model, bass, mid or treb.
Turning up both 'gain' and 'master' does get a good signal but I want a rhythm track that is clean to practice soloing over which would have more gain and a more driven sound.
Anyway I thought I would comment here as when I Googled for a solution it sent me back to this thread (I had forgotten my post) so thought I would post to clear things up for future searchers.
If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.
Still love this amp - practice thing anyway. It really is so much fun.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 PM

I've recorded with my THR5 into Audacity via USB with no problems whatsoever with getting a hot enough signal. Are you using the THR as the source from the drop-down box in Audacity? Are the proper drivers installed on the computer? Did you try trouble shooting the sound through the computer control panel? I've recorded ac.-el, electric, heck even vocals through a XLR to TS (1/4") cable through the THR5.

FWIW, I could never get any sound from Cubase to come through my computer and/or headphones.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:25 PM

I wonder if it isn't a computer issue, not an amp issue. I'd been having trouble with recordings not playing back loud at all (not with THR amp, but with a Presonus interface and video sound from YouTube) and had to change my computer's playback source from the internal speakers to the interface. Trying experimenting with those and see what happens.

Best of luck.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:58 PM

(THR5 only) Audio volume from the computer
connected to the unit via USB is too
low or too high.
• Launch the THR Editor on the computer and adjust
the volume output using the “USB Volume”
setting. (g page 16)

...from the manual, seems like the only way to adjust recording USB output levels on the THR5 is via the THR Editor software. I think the THR10 has a few extra panel knobs to include this function.

Hope this helps.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-07-2017, 03:04 PM

Reading it again I'm not so sure but the THR5 has gain, master volume and another volume knob. Maybe this last one would increase the recorded USB signal?
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 10-08-2017, 10:13 PM

Thanks YamahaGuy.
I checked my settings and the THR-10C had 100% in Windows. Opening Audacity the Thr was selected for input and output.
I ended up setting the master at pretty much full on and adjusted gain. Turned guitar up full but backed off a bit on the tone. Used the bridge pickup.
Still a bit too much gain (from the amp) for my liking (simple blues backing track) to get a hot signal from the amp types. Went to the flat setting and turned up the gain and got a pretty good signal - hotter than before and getting up to about -4db so that was usable.
Went back to US Blues, gain now at 2.30 and master close to full on. Changed my attack, very little spring reverb, played bass note then strum and kill the strings quickly after the chord. Now it's working for a couple of backing tracks for me to practice soloing over which is all I wanted.
Future reference for people having the same low input problem - start off with the flat setting and turn gain and master up to full, make sure bass, mid and treb are at around 12.00 and go from there. After recording you can always use normalise or compressor in your DAW to even things out a bit.
Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD