The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Default Keeping rockwool in its plastic packaging and using that as bass traps?

The plastic would only reflect high frequencies while other frequencies would get absorbed?

Also, would I see more dead/dry recordings if I surrounded the instrument and mic with bass traps instead of placing them in the corners?

The rockwool packaging would be 15" thick.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I would think the plastic wrapping would interfere with bass absorption. I've never heard of anyone doing what you're describing and there's probably a good reason for it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-25-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney69 View Post
The plastic would only reflect high frequencies while other frequencies would get absorbed?

Also, would I see more dead/dry recordings if I surrounded the instrument and mic with bass traps instead of placing them in the corners?

The rockwool packaging would be 15" thick.
My experience is having bass traps surrounding you, as you describe, dries things up infinitely more.

Bass frequencies fly right through a plastic wrapper as if it weren't there. I'd still think you'd want to get rid of the wrapper though to dry up everything else - unless you're using the traps exclusively as corner traps - and then maybe it becomes irrelevant.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:50 AM

This thread might give you some more info. (Warning: Not on AGF but a very useful forum for those looking at home recording studios.)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I would think the plastic wrapping would interfere with bass absorption. I've never heard of anyone doing what you're describing and there's probably a good reason for it.
This guy put packages on his entire wall and it seems to work well http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post24127058

I guess I could glue some thin foam panels to the front of the packages if I wanted them to absorb the high, plastic reflected, frequencies too.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

It also looks like he's taking some precautions to avoid mold growth. I hadn't thought of that before but wouldn't keeping the rockwool in the packaging in crease the chances of mold growth since the bags would trap moisture?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-26-2017, 09:10 AM

15" thick? I haven't seen rockwool packaged that way, unless you mean the actual width of the strips (which most often are 2" or 4" thick).
I made my panels 4" thick, and hang them on hooks. I will occasionally stack two in a 'V' that I face when recording (and there are more traps on a wall behind me) more to cut out any possible street noise coming from that direction than the guitar's sound bouncing back.

Not sure why you would want to have more of the high frequencies bounce back (by leaving the plastic on). We tend to call them 'bass' traps, but in fact they are full frequency traps.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
15" thick? I haven't seen rockwool packaged that way, unless you mean the actual width of the strips (which most often are 2" or 4" thick).
I made my panels 4" thick, and hang them on hooks. I will occasionally stack two in a 'V' that I face when recording (and there are more traps on a wall behind me) more to cut out any possible street noise coming from that direction than the guitar's sound bouncing back.

Not sure why you would want to have more of the high frequencies bounce back (by leaving the plastic on). We tend to call them 'bass' traps, but in fact they are full frequency traps.
First: It looks like those are packages of multiple 2' or 4" panels that happen to be 15" thick in the packages
Also according to linked article about an audio video room that 15" of rock wool is sitting behind an entire wall of some 21- 18 inch bass drivers which might provide thunderous movie sound but is really not related to trying to get good broad dynamic range studio sound

And while that thickness would indeed really dampen a broad range of frequencies.
It seems to me it is way overkill and waste of materials for studio sound purposes .

Also I am wondering if thin plastic would actually do much "reflecting" of any frequencies at all ? Cant find any info one way or the other

That said I would still take off the plastic and put some king of cloth covering but I would think that for base traps 8" inches would sufficient. particularly if held a short distance off the wall itself (like 4" or so)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-27-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney69 View Post
This guy put packages on his entire wall and it seems to work well http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...l#post24127058

I guess I could glue some thin foam panels to the front of the packages if I wanted them to absorb the high, plastic reflected, frequencies too.
This is OK if you want your home studio to look like "Home Depot". There's not a lot of people that want to use up an extra 15" of floor space when they can have a bigger space by making broad band panels to the recommended dimensions.

"Honey, I'm gonna do some redecorating in the living room so I can make my recordings sound better..."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD