The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 12:43 PM

Default Have you ever been in this position?

Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM

Yes, actually, I have, though I didn't get QUITE into the level of detail as in the cartoon. Years ago, when I was just starting to gig out, I was asked to perform at a protest march against a proposed nuclear reactor that was going to be built near Fulton, Missouri, in Callaway County. I went and it was fun: we performed using a long flatbed truck as the stage, with a tarp flapping over our heads as all my fellow longhairs and shagnastys danced in the rain.

There was a young married couple who also performed at the event, maybe a year or two older than me, and they were really good. I think they were from Rolla, Missouri, in the southeastern part of the state, whereas I was from KC. The guy's name was John, and he played one of those big red Guild D-25M guitars.

We enjoyed each other's shows, and exchanged phone numbers, each telling the other "If you ever get to Rolla/KC, gimme a call and we'll get together and play some tunes."

About a year, maybe a year and a half later I got a phone call out of the blue:

"Hey, this is John So-And-So, we met at the protest march in Callaway County. We're going to be in Kansas City tomorrow - are you going to be around?"

I thought a minute, then asked: "Are you the guy who plays that big red Guild?"

He laughed and said: "Yeah, that's me. You know me by my guitar..."

So when they came to town I fed them dinner and we had a great little music session, just the three of us. As I recall, John and I tried to outdo each other with obscure Hank Williams and Leadbelly songs, but we all knew all of each other's songs.

A delightful time was had by all, and I never saw or heard from them again, but I cherish the memory. And I remember that big red Guild, obviously.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 PM

Yep.

Was talking to the contractor at my in-laws house several months ago.

Couldn't begin to guess what his name is, but I can tell you he owns an all original '54 j-45.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:49 PM

I always feel bad about not remember someones name, especially if they have remembered mine

have also been on the receiving end too, a friend told me some guys needed a guitarist at short notice and while scratching their heads thinking of someone one of the guys piped up " has anyone got the number of that cack handed chink "

I'm not sure what was more offensive, ethnicity is one thing but calling a left handed person cack handed is going too far no offense was taken, life too short to get uptight about these things, thought it was quite funny and I got the gig and several more.

These guys were the start of our network and long friendships
Old 02-22-2017, 02:28 PM

I've seen that same poster with a different - and unprintable here - punch line...
Old 02-22-2017, 02:29 PM

All the time.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 02-22-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocheng View Post
I always feel bad about not remember someones name, especially if they have remembered mine

have also been on the receiving end too, a friend told me some guys needed a guitarist at short notice and while scratching their heads thinking of someone one of the guys piped up " has anyone got the number of that cack handed chink "

I'm not sure what was more offensive, ethnicity is one thing but calling a left handed person cack handed is going too far no offense was taken, life too short to get uptight about these things, thought it was quite funny and I got the gig and several more.

These guys were the start of our network and long friendships
Learned a new phrase...........

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I have!

- Glenn
Old 02-22-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yes, actually, I have, though I didn't get QUITE into the level of detail as in the cartoon. Years ago, when I was just starting to gig out, I was asked to perform at a protest march against a proposed nuclear reactor that was going to be built near Fulton, Missouri, in Callaway County. I went and it was fun: we performed using a long flatbed truck as the stage, with a tarp flapping over our heads as all my fellow longhairs and shagnastys danced in the rain.

There was a young married couple who also performed at the event, maybe a year or two older than me, and they were really good. I think they were from Rolla, Missouri, in the southeastern part of the state, whereas I was from KC. The guy's name was John, and he played one of those big red Guild D-25M guitars.

We enjoyed each other's shows, and exchanged phone numbers, each telling the other "If you ever get to Rolla/KC, gimme a call and we'll get together and play some tunes."

About a year, maybe a year and a half later I got a phone call out of the blue:

"Hey, this is John So-And-So, we met at the protest march in Callaway County. We're going to be in Kansas City tomorrow - are you going to be around?"

I thought a minute, then asked: "Are you the guy who plays that big red Guild?"

He laughed and said: "Yeah, that's me. You know me by my guitar..."

So when they came to town I fed them dinner and we had a great little music session, just the three of us. As I recall, John and I tried to outdo each other with obscure Hank Williams and Leadbelly songs, but we all knew all of each other's songs.

A delightful time was had by all, and I never saw or heard from them again, but I cherish the memory. And I remember that big red Guild, obviously.

Wade Hampton Miller
Very cool!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:53 PM

I've literally done that. "Yeah, I remember your face from the jam. You play a '60s 000-18. What's your name?"

And, "I hope that guy shows up at the jam tonight... can't remember him, but he had a killer '50s D-28!"
Old 02-22-2017, 06:42 PM

All the time.

I bartended for years, and worked my trade here on Kelleys Island where its a tourist destination. I would remember people's faces and what they drank, occasionally remember a conversation we'd had.

They felt special when they'd come in and I'd say "Welcome back! Another _______?" or "So how did that situation with _________ work out?" or "How's your son doing on his new job as an architect?"

Worst blank I ever saw was this jazz trio (Mark Griddley jazz trio, guy has a summer house a few doors down from here). He was playing an afternoon at the winery, very intimate garden type situation. It was small enough, that he could speak to the crowd without amplification, and was addressing people personally thanking them for coming.

Got to this woman, whose son is a guitar player who was jamming with Mark. He started talking about her, then suddenly just stopped and smiled awkwardly. Pointed to her, and said "There she is. We all know her. So, thank you!"
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 PM

I'm an auto mechanic. I have trouble with the customers' names but I always remember their cars.

Jamie
1994 Collings D2H
Old 02-22-2017, 11:12 PM

Had to look up your handle. Ky, right? Fixation on D-28's, right?

Happens in all aspects of my life. I swear there's a hole in my brain where the "faces and names" memory bank is supposed to reside.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 PM

Very often.
I'm terrible with names.
And I make it a habit to address people by their name when in a phone call.
I'll even write it down most of the time.

But people I deal with all the time, can't remember one guy's name. But he plays a Yamaha and an electric LP uke.
Anther guy, I know he's a lawyer, plays a 314ce.

I was once visiting NC to see family.
A guy who had been in one service one Sunday at our little church in Leavenworth, KC greeted me by name several YEARS later while we were all walking around sightseeing in Raleigh.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 02-23-2017, 04:55 AM

The guy's holding a 'Bass Player' magazine.
I don't think we should be sniggering at his memory deficiency.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion