The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Awesome guitar and case! That Manchinga knocks the eyes out and the tone is sublime. Congrats!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Trespass View Post
A few hours in with this one and signs are it is really something very very special. As ever, absolutely first rate service from Michael and Ben at TNAG in London
Can't say I'm happy for you - I was planning to pop in and see what the fuss was about this coming week! Looks like I'll have to wait until TNAG get another one in? Bummer.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-11-2017, 05:53 AM

I was lucky enough to play this one a bit before it was on its way to you! Both MDW pack a huge sound in a very comfortable size, not to mention those delicious overtone too...Congrats on such a beautiful instrument!
2021 Buendia OMF Swiss Moon/BRW
2022 Isaac Jang OM
2023 Kraut OO
Old 02-11-2017, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I played that one at the NAMM show. It was hard to tell what it sounded like in the din of the exhibition hall, but it certainly felt good and that rosewood is fabulous.
I believe Manchinga isn't a Dalbergia (http://www.caminoverde.org/esp/resou...e-database/560).
It actually is Brosimum Alicastrum: "the breadnut or Maya nut, is a tree species in the family Moraceae (wikipedia)". A nut tree, interesting!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 02-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

All - thanks for the kind words. It really is special.

Most of all thanks to Jason for crafting such an exquisite instrument.

Steve - sure we can arrange for the MDW and your path to cross.

Greg
Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I believe Manchinga isn't a Dalbergia (http://www.caminoverde.org/esp/resou...e-database/560).
It actually is Brosimum Alicastrum: "the breadnut or Maya nut, is a tree species in the family Moraceae (wikipedia)". A nut tree, interesting!
If I remember correctly, Jason described it as a rosewood to me--that's all I know. Maybe I misheard. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 02-11-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Steve - sure we can arrange for the MDW and your path to cross.
That would be great. I need to get my hands on Michael's as well.
The only negative thing I had to say about my old MD was the sheer size of it; everything else was perfect.
Something similar but a bit smaller would have great appeal to me.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

One of the coolest things I've seen recently, Love it! Congrats...
Old 02-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Manchinga is such a cool wood. Great guitar!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on adding this beautiful guitar to your collection. I cannot wait to see how it opens up in the future. I am personally very proud of this guitar, and this model as well, and am glad it is in such a good home.

Manchinga is a wood in its own category, and in my opinion, it has inherent rosewood properties to include articulation of notes with good separation and resonant overtones, as well as a clean, balanced projection. What I love most about this wood is that it looks like spalted maple without the issues associated with that wood. While not a Dalbergia, I definitely think of this wood as a really cool Peruvian "rosewood-like" tonewood. I look forward to hopefully reuniting with this guitar when I come over this year.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jason,

It is glorious and a true work of art (sonically and aesthetically). Thank-you.

Can't wait for it to open up. Definitely good to re-unite. Let me know your plans in due course.

All the best

Greg
Old 02-22-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I am sure Michael Watts (who many of you will know as a frequenter of this forum) would welcome you in. Make sure you go to the new shop - they have moved across London.

In fact Michael has the first MDW and the video posted earlier in the thread describes his input into the development.
Hello all, glad that this wonderful guitar has made it to its new home! Anyone who would like to visit our new central London showroom will be made very very welcome. Drop us a line via email or PM me here if you like. The first MDW is right here as is my MD in The Tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Can't say I'm happy for you - I was planning to pop in and see what the fuss was about this coming week! Looks like I'll have to wait until TNAG get another one in? Bummer.

Cheers,
Steve
Any time you like Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
That's correct, apologies for any confusion I may have personally caused when I referred to Manchinga as "pre-convention" in the demo video. It was the last of several vids featuring various examples of Dalbergian eroticism that I'd done that day. And I had a cold.

Playing this Manchinga guitar I was struck by the way full overtone content and richness. However, that is very much a feature of the model itself, as my own Maple MDW shows. Here are some of our pics for you to enjoy...

For any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch

MW
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Fabulous pics of a fabulous instrument.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Great shots! Love the look of machinga. Can't wait to get my Kostal later this year.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Gorgeous Guitars

As per usual, Jason hit it out of the park with this MDW....Elegant, beautiful design and it sounds amazing! It seems that Jason's guitars keep getting better with each new rendition of his instruments. Without being unkind, the maple MDW blows the other maple out of the water in Michael's side by side sound comparisons....AMAZING....You can tell from the posts that Michael has bonded with this guitar and it's easy to see why!! Congratulations Michael on a real beauty!

While in Portland recently, I also had an opportunity to play BillyBoy's Tree OM and was really taken by the design/artistry of the guitar as well as the sound quality.....As a BRW fan, I was amazed at the power, warmth, richness of the bass and the clear, solid mids and highs using The Tree and German Spruce...Gorgeous woods and sound!

Again, Jason's guitars are hard to beat.....Couple the quality and artistic sensibility with the great guy who builds them and it's a pretty amazing combination.....Jason is just about done with a BRW and German spruce OO build for me and will soon be starting a Tree MDW... If I can ever figure out how to post those threads, I'll try to show you the details....If you haven't seen BillyBoy's tree OM, it's definitely a stunner!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop